would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Lousy Connection And Speed

18 REPLIES
Evil_ Jules
Chatterbox

Hey,

Having issue's since installing Huawei HG633 router a couple of months ago. Internet speeds are sitting at around 2.5mb/s upload and 15mb/s download, which is less than half of the speeds I used to get.

Also, could be related, internet seems very unstable. Wi-Fi often slow and sometimes stops working altogether. Noticing big spikes and connection issue's when playing games online. Just general poor performance and never used to have any problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Julian.

Community Team

Hi,

Can you please add your home phone number to your Community Profile so I can locate your details.

If unsure of your number, simply dial 17070 from your land line phone and this will confirm the number for you.

Please reply when this has been updated.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Evil_ Jules
Chatterbox

Hey Karl,

I've added my home phone number now. Thanks for getting back to me.

Julian.

Community Team

Hi

I'm showing a fault on the voice circuit.

Can you check the home phone and tell me if there is a dial tone?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Evil_ Jules
Chatterbox
Hey Karl,

Just checked and there's no dial tone.
Has been like that for a while I think.

Julian.
Community Team

Hi Julian,

Thanks for confirming.

I've logged this out for a Non Appointed engineer - Non appointed means the engineer will be dispatched to look at the line without requiring an appointment be made with you to visit your property.  

Karl.

Evil_ Jules
Chatterbox
Hey Karl,

That's much appreciated. Do you know roughly how long that should take?

Julian.
Community Team

Hi Julian

With this type of line fault we would normally expect to see Openreach out within 24hrs unless they have increased fault reports in the area.

Check back tomorrow and we can see if there are any updates for you.

Thanks

Karl. 

Evil_ Jules
Chatterbox
Hey Karl,

OK thank you I will do that.

Julian
Evil_ Jules
Chatterbox
Hey Karl,

The engineer seems to have fixed the fault on our line so that's great.

However, our download speed is still sitting at around 18mb/s, which is half what it should be in my area for fibre broadband.

Do you have any info on why that could be?

Thanks

Julian.
Community Team

Hi Julian, are you testing the speed over wifi or wired? Your synch speed is good at 39mbps. 

Evil_ Jules
Chatterbox
Hey Karl,

I've ran tests on both an Xbox and a PC and both are wired connections. The download speed consistently reads at 18mb/s.

It doesn't show any packet loss or anything and the upload speed seems fine.

Julian
fre55die
Community Star

Hi @Evil_ Jules

Log in to your router http://192.168.1.1 from any browser and that will show you the speed that the router is receiving. User is "admin" and password for 633 or D link is on the back unless you have changed it.

Is the roter plugged into the master socket or an extension ??

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Evil_ Jules
Chatterbox

IMAG0469.jpg

Hey, thanks, I've uploaded a pic of the router info.

Yes the router is connected straight into the master socket and from there is connected to a switch which all devices run through. Although we're typically running only 2 devices through it at any one time.

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @Evil_ Jules

So your router is receiving 38.766 Mbs. You are losing speed somewhere between your router and the device you are connecting to do the speedtest. Are you using Power Line Adaptors or wireless devices ?

Also you mentioned a switch, is this powered?

Can you try connecting a device directly to the router ?

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Community Team

Hi Evil_ Jules,

Just to confirm, have you tried switching the router off for a full 30 minute and then retested the speed?

If the sync speed looks ok, however the throughput speeds are still low then usually switching the router off for a full 30 minutes can resolve this.

Thanks

Evil_ Jules
Chatterbox
Hey,

Yea the router is receiving roughly 38mb/s consistently, however, anything we connect to it seems to receive around half that. Even when connecting directly via Ethernet.
Evil_ Jules
Chatterbox
Hey,

Thank you I'll try that. Think we've already had it turned off but I'll make sure it's a full 30 minutes and see if that works.
Community Team

Hi Evil_ Jules,

Ok thanks and let us know how you get on :)

Thanks