Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Memory stick

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Wise Owl

Having lost several recordings because of box failure would it be possible to transfer recorded programs using the usb socket already fitted. The download could be scrambled keeping the program makers happy. It would certainly keep the other half happy. 

Highlighted
Insightful One

@David951 the box is a you-view box so u would need to take it up more with youveiw as talktalk just have their branding on it

you-view have their own forum 

Hope that help Joe R If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)
Highlighted
Wise Owl

Hi hosay299

I would have thought that with Talk Talk's buying power that talking to Huiwui, as the mafacturers, would be interested. It depends on who writes the software for the box. David

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @David951 

I'm afraid that you can't, the USB slot apparently is only for charging low powered items like Keyboard etc. and system upgrades for engineers.

It is not in the YouView specs, presumably because of the stakeholders interests, so no YV boxes are licensed to allow recording to external sources unfortunately at present.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

Exactly as fre55die says.  I use the USB port to power a nano router so I can use the box wirelessly.

Karl.

Highlighted
Wise Owl

Hi Karl and Fre55die

I realise the USB is only for powering items,, my point is its already fitted. It shouldn't be that hard to tweak the software to allow recorded programs to be transferred to a new box. My tablet is fitted with a USB that powers other items and transfer data. It just a layman's thought. David

Highlighted
Insightful One

@David951 please then best route is to make you-view know u idea as the do mange the software and kits for it more than talktalk 

Hope that help Joe R If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)
Highlighted
Community Star

I @David951 

I raised this idea to both YV and TT a long time ago, not about recordings but, to play stuff from an HDD or Stick. Apparently it's not technically possible with the boxes.

Interestingly my SONY TV will record and play back to a connected HDD BUT, it encodes the recorded content and it will only play back on that individual TV. A friend has the same model bought at the same time and it won't play on that.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Highlighted
Wise Owl

Hi Fre55die,

I purchased a new LG TV, this records to a memory stick. It was tried on a similar TV and did play back. It's what gave me the idea having had a couple of boxes crash on me losing recorded programs. Just thinking the USB socket was already there and could've been used but unless there was a big need no-one will worry. Put that one on the dream pile. David

Highlighted
Community Star

@David951 

But it's not YV is it?

See https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Your-Ideas/USB-port-on-tv-box/idi-p/2011722