Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

My Humax has been hacked by TalkTalk

57 REPLIES 57
Highlighted
Insightful One

I have recently joined TalkTalk as a Telephone and Broadband customer.  I am NOT a TV customer, although I now see that my Humax Box guide says it is TalkTalk TV rather than Youview which it always was with my previous broadband provider (Plusnet).  Conicidently I have also had to reboot the box twice due to lock-ups, something that never happened while with Plusnet.  I believe it unacceptable that TalkTalk have taken-over my box, without notice or explanation, rather than just routing it to Youview.  Can anyone tell me if it is possible to make the Humax a pure Youview box again, and if so how I go about it?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

You can carry out a full factory reset with this disconnected from the internet.

If you connect the box to a TalkTalk ot BT internet connection and this then receives software updates via these lines, the updates will carry the required info to receive the on demand services from the supplier, so the box would then show the TalkTalk or BT logo, or which ever youview ISP the box is connected to. 

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Insightful One

@OCE_Karl wrote:

Hi

You can carry out a full factory reset with this disconnected from the internet.

If you connect the box to a TalkTalk ot BT internet connection and this then receives software updates via these lines, the updates will carry the required info to receive the on demand services from the supplier, so the box would then show the TalkTalk or BT logo, or which ever youview ISP the box is connected to. 

Thanks

Karl. 

A factory reset is not an acceptable option as it would remove existing recordings and recording schedules. 

Before joining talktalk i was with Plusnet (broadband and phone only) which is a provider of BT TV, which I did not subscribe to, and the Humax box showed the youview logo rather than by or Plusnet.  So ideally I want the box back to that state without a factory reset.  Had I wanted the box to support talktalk TV I would have taken the the TV option. But I didn't, and still dont, want talktalk TV!

Highlighted

Hi

You can try a maintenance reset.for your model ob TV box : https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode

Please be advised however if you wish this to remain free of TalkTalk Branding then you will not be able to use the device across the TalkTalk network.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Insightful One

I find it disappointing that talktalk find it necessary to hack third-part equipment using their network.  My previous Broadband provider seemed to have no such urge and the youview box remained connected to Youview and as far as I could see no attempt was made to take it over.  One wonders what other equipment using the talktalk network is hacked into?  On the surface this would appear to be in controvention of the computer missuse act as I have not contracted to take talktalk tv and therefore you should not go ammending software on my equipment to enable talktalk tv on it.

Highlighted

Hi

If you do not wish your Humax box to show the TalkTalk branding, then simply do not connect it to the TalkTalk network to receive any software updates.

Thanks

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Insightful One

As you should be aware it is not quite that simple as it has a number of "players" build-it and it provides access to youview catch-up both of which need an internet llink to work. 

In anycase stating that if you don't want your box hacked by talktalk don't connect it is not the answer, they should not hack in the first place.

Highlighted

Hi

This is not a hack, a branding is in no way a hack, and does not interfere with the performance or function of the box.

The overall matter is simple and straightforward. If you connect the box to the TalkTalk network and receive youview updates from us these will carry TalkTalk branding. If you do not want this branding then do not connect the box. 

There is no other option, and as the consumer, the choice to connect or not is yours.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Insightful One

It is more than a branding as when doing catch-up it offers to sell box-sets, so it is inserting extra, non-youview information, which is not wanted.  As a non-talktalk tv subscriber the box should be passed though to the you-view site and updates etc should be left unaffected by talktalk, rather than the box being directed to send its requests to talktalk, which is more than just branding.

Highlighted
Community Star

Updates are make and model specific as documented here:

https://support.youview.com/YouView-box/software-updates

I use a Humax retail box, a T2000 to be specific and I never see any adverts for TalkTalk products when using catch up services?

EDIT: A more helpful link here:

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions

Highlighted
Insightful One

Having branded my box as TalkTalk TV they have now sent me a letter stating they are going to charge me £4 a month for the pleasure of using TalkTalk TV, something I have not requested and do not want.  This is totally unacceptable.  They should drop the charge and unbrand my box immediately!

Highlighted

HI

Have a look at our help article and this will explain the TV Pricing in more details for you.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/TalkTalk-TV-pricing-is-changing/ta-p/2279095

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Team Player

you don't get it Karl...

They are in the same camp as me.

They OWN their own YouView box.
They don't have Talktalk TV, probably never have.

Just because they own a YouView box and have Talktalk broadband you are subscribing them to a £4 service they DID NOT ORDER.

This might wash for former TV customers but not those who bought their own boxes.

YouView doesn't belong to Talktalk, it's a free to use service and many people pay £299 for their box from the shop.

I strongly advise this new info is passed on to those higher up who can reevaluate their policy.

Highlighted

Hi

I need to look at each case individually before I can comment as some packages are different, some customer contracts are legacy such as essentials or plus TV, some contracts are the newer Fixed Line Priced Contracts etc.  

I do take the comments on board and answer, but to give a definitive answer to each customer, I will look at their account and details so the answer I give is the right one.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Insightful One

@OCE_Karl wrote:

HI

Have a look at our help article and this will explain the TV Pricing in more details for you.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/TalkTalk-TV-pricing-is-changing/ta-p/2279095

Thanks

Karl. 

I have looked at the article, but it is of no relevance  to me as I am not, have not been, and do ever intend to be a talktalk TV customer.  I have my own youview box, which without my consent now carries the talktalk TV branding, but as stated before I am NOT a TV customer so I find it totally unacceptable that I should receive a letter telling me I am going to be charged for a service I do not use and don't want just because talktalk want to get more money out of their customers.  This is a totally unacceptable commercial practice more akin to the practices used by scammers and dodgey dealers rather than a reputable company.

Community Star

Look, you can say the same thing over and over, but it won't make any difference. You may want to look at the YouView community to see how and why the different interfaces take place. If you don't want your YouView box "branded" as you put it then you need to choose an ISP other than TalkTalk, or BT. None of this affects core YouView functionality.

As far as the £4 fee is concerned you can opt out, simple as that.

Highlighted
Team Player

There's absolutely no need for that attitude.

There's nothing that can be done about his box having Talktalk TV branding but if he didn't sign up for TV why has he been charged £4? He doesn't even have a Talktalk box.

This happened to me, the CEO's office have acknowledged it's an error on Talktalk's part and are investigating.

Should an OCE not look in to this person's account and check if they have been charged for something they haven't ordered like I have.

I signed up for the Faster Fibre in November with no TV services and just because I have a YouView box connected I got this £4 charge.

That's fair enough for those who joined  Talktalk TV by taking a box but all instances where the simple act of a (personally owned) YouView box being used is causing the user to be hit with the £4 charge should be investigated without delay and not have the poster being abused by forum members.

Maybe you don't appreciate the serious nature of this but the CEO office certainly does! I'm not the only confirmed case and this sound like another.

Highlighted
Insightful One

True, repeating something may not result in things which should change changing but it doesn't mean what's being said is wrong.

I shouldn't need to opt out of something I did not request and which is something that I did not contract for.  Like it or not it is unethical to charge someone for an optional service which they did not opt for, so it is only right that one should voice one's objection to it and call the offending service provider to account.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

jacamoco>

"That's fair enough for those who joined Talktalk TV by taking a box but all instances where the simple act of a (personally owned) YouView box being used is causing the user to be hit with the £4 charge should be investigated without delay."

I agree and that is worrying.

As it stands at the moment, if any user is using their own box on a third party service and then decides to move to TalkTalk they will be hit with a £4 per month fee for a box that they own and wasn't supplied by TalkTalk. And then the onus is on THEM to cancel?!?  Thats just wrong.

Oh, just one more general thing - don't abuse the OCEs on here, peeps. They are just employees of the company and here to help. 

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Birchcroft.

If one connects a generic YouView box to a TalkTalk line it will automatically be branded with a TalkTalk interface, as is the same with BT. This in no way affects the useabilty, operation or normal usage of your box. It only gets a different cosmetic skin. That is all.