Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

My Humax has been hacked by TalkTalk

Highlighted
Insightful One

@Visionman wrote:

Hi Birchcroft.

If one connects a generic YouView box to a TalkTalk line it will automatically be branded with a TalkTalk interface, as is the same with BT. This in no way affects the useabilty, operation or normal usage of your box. It only gets a different cosmetic skin. That is all.

Hi visionman,

Possibly so however, since the "rebranding" I've had to reboot the box several times something I never had to do when with Plusnet.  Also a new BrightSparks test channel has appeared, and when I search for something ( eg Luther ) as well as getting the standard youview response, I get the option to buy previous episodes from talktalk, which given I am not a TV customer I shouldn't be able to, so therefore should not be offered.  So maybe it's a bit more than cosmetic.

@

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Being on a TT line yes you will get TT TV options and access to the TT Player but you are in no way forced to use them. N.B. the full box set of Luther is available on the BBC iPlayer.

Highlighted
Insightful One

@Visionman wrote:

Being on a TT line yes you will get TT TV options and access to the TT Player but you are in no way forced to use them. N.B. the full box set of Luther is available on the BBC iPlayer.

I understand and appreciate what you say however, I am not the only person in the household and I don't necessarily want others to have unfettered access to buying box sets. Also l don't see why when I have made it clear I don't want talktalk TV services they should make them available on the TV since if it were emails they were sending I could unsubscribe.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

The Box can be set so that a PIN is required to purchase content.  If you set this then you will be the only one in the household to have access to purchase items to watch.

As to the Branding, as mentioned previously, this will happen if you connect the box to the TalkTalk line and the box then updates.

This cannot be removed on an individual basis and connecting any equipment to the line and taking subsequent updates is covered in the Terms and Conditions all customers agree to when they take a contract with us.

If unhappy with this decision, all I can advise is that you follow our Complaint Process.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Insightful One

Hi Karl

Thanks for you response, addressing each part I would be greatful if you could provide further information, before I consider going down the complaints path.  Addressing the two parts of your response seperately:

"The Box can be set so that a PIN is required to purchase content.  If you set this then you will be the only one in the household to have access to purchase items to watch."

According to the help pages in order to do this I have to: "log in to MyAccount, select My Services and then TV. There you can view or change your PIN.".  Since I am not a TV customer I cannot do this, so how do I go about blocking the purchases offered?

"As to the Branding, as mentioned previously, this will happen if you connect the box to the TalkTalk line and the box then updates.

This cannot be removed on an individual basis and connecting any equipment to the line and taking subsequent updates is covered in the Terms and Conditions all customers agree to when they take a contract with us."

Having read the terms and conditions I can see no reference to connecting 3rd party equipment to the line or taking subsequent updates.  I would therefore be greatful if you tell me exactly where in the terms and conditions I can find this.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi

I've checked your account for you, and this does have a TV option.  This is currently set up as TV Store only services and a pin for purchasing content from the TV store is currently set on your account.  This is the pin required when purchasing content. So your current services do include a TalkTalk TV service.

With regards to the second point, I've emailed our TV product manager to clarify the branding that is shown when your box receives the updates when connected to our network, but I do suspect the answer will be similar to that given, that this cannot be changed when connecting any youview equipment to our service.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Insightful One

@OCE_Karl wrote:

Hi

I've checked your account for you, and this does have a TV option.  This is currently set up as TV Store only services and a pin for purchasing content from the TV store is currently set on your account.  This is the pin required when purchasing content. So your current services do include a TalkTalk TV service.

With regards to the second point, I've emailed our TV product manager to clarify the branding that is shown when your box receives the updates when connected to our network, but I do suspect the answer will be similar to that given, that this cannot be changed when connecting any youview equipment to our service.

Karl.

Hi Karl

I've just checked my account and cannot find the "TV Store Service" anywhere, see screen dump below:

Screen Dump of ServicesScreen Dump of Services

As previously pointed out I have not requested or contracted for any TV options and do not want them.  So if the service is there but hidden can you please arrange for it to be removed as I do not want it and I definately do not want it to have a default PIN which is presumably what it currently has.

Thanks for contacting the TV product manager, I look forward to their response.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi

As the TV store option only gives access to rent or purchase content this does not appear in My Account, but a pin is set on your account and can be changed via calling or using Live Chat options.  So in summary, a pin is required to confirm purchase of TV Content so other members of your household would not be able to do this through the box without the pin.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Team Player

You are barking up the wrong tree with regards to the Talktalk branding on the box.
This is a YouView feature and the exact same would happen if you joined BT.

Talktalk have zero control over this.
YouView servers detect your line is a Talktalk registered IP and load the appropriate skin.

Take this up with YouView if it annoys you that much, but this is how YouView has operated for many many years and it won't be changed.

Running the box behind a VPN would be a solution but there's absolutely zero Talktalk can do.

You should be focusing on the £4 charge you claim to have received.
The screenshot of your account clearly shows you are a Faster Fibre customer with Broadband & Calls only.

You should NOT have been sent a letter telling you about the £4 charge as this should not apply to you.
This is a breach of the terms and conditions you agreed to with Talktalk and it is illegal for them to subscribe you to a paid service that you have not agreed to.

Please focus on this and do not let anyone else distract you from this with pointless posts about the YouView skin.
It is a blatant disregard for contract law if you have not signed up for this service.

Customers who took a free YouView box from a Talktalk signed up to being TV customers and technically they can get away with what is pretty dodgy tactics in my opinion.

Charging customers who did not sign up to TV services just because they have a YouView box is deplorable, and illegal.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Karl,

Just a general question in regard to connecting a box to a TT line - Can the 'TV store option only' (ie The Player that appears on-screen) access actually be removed from a box? Because I'm not aware that it can.

Highlighted
Insightful One

Hi Karl

Thanks for the prompt answer.

As the TV Store is a Option ("As the TV store option only gives access to rent...")  please can you arrange to have it removed from my account as I have not requested it and I do not wish to have the option associated with my account.

Cheers

Birchcroft

Highlighted

Hi @jacamoco  and every one else 🙂

With regard to the branding, you are correct, and in my mind at the moment this is inconsequential.  I am focusing on the TV charge.

As you say, it's easy to opt a customer out going forward, but with this customer only having current access to the TV store to rent movies, and not being provided with a TV box or any other TV services, I'm asking the questions of our product teams to get a definitive answer.  I've also asked my managers here to also query this, and as soon as I get a reply I'll be posting it here.

Also, I've seen it mentioned in other threads, whether a customer connecting their own youview box will receive the charge.  This is not the case.  The charge is not based on what device is connected, the charge is based solely on the customers account, and if it has a TV package included.

@Visionman - I don't believe the Option to rent TalkTalk Movies via the box can be removed.

@Birchcroft - I am making sure the TV charge is not applied in your case, but I'm still asking the relevant questions to our product teams.

Thanks

Karl. 

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Team Player
If it isn't the act of connecting the YouView box that is causing this then what is it?

They aren't a TV customer, Talktalk haven't given them a TV box, it isn't even a Talktalk TV box it's a Humax.

Setting a PIN to prevent purchases should not subscribe you to the TV service.

Something is causing some (I don't claim it to be all) non TV customers with YouView boxes to be automatically charged the £4 TV access fee.

I appreciate you are making an effort to get to the bottom of this.
I await your response.
Highlighted
Community Star
Highlighted
Team Player
That's because the Talktalk TV Store is completely separate, and continues to work after opting out of Talktalk TV.

Even purchasing things on the Talktalk TV Store should not subscribe you to the TALKTALK TV packages with the £4 fee.

Anything already purchased on the TV Store will continue to work with no Talktalk TV subscription.
Highlighted
Community Star

Yes, but nor do you have to pay the £4 fee unless you opt for the TalkTalk TV service. I know it's a bit clumsy, but it does seem to cover it. And I just thought I would mention it. Anyway, the inestimable OCE Karl is on the case, so let's wait and see what else he can tell us.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Birchcroft,

Complicated one isn't it? I know Karls going to come back with an answer from the Product Managers but I think I've sussed out whats happened....

The TT Player is part of the TT branding and cannot be removed.

HOWEVER, the TT Player gives access to rent films and/or box sets and those who sit in TT Towers, have decided in their wisdom (yeah right) that for the priviledge of having that access 'That'll be £4 a month please.'

But you have a Humax box! So the previous statement that all non-TT box owners won't be levied the monthly fee isn't technically correct. As the branding comes with The Player and The Player comes with a £4 a monthly fee. Catch 22....

Highlighted
Team Player

That's not right though so I don't know why you're making the point.

That's obviously the intention, but not what is happening.

Both the OP and myself have been charged the £4 fee, or had a letter saying we would be charged it.

Neither of us is a TV customer and I absolutely 100% have not signed any Talktalk TV T&C's.

Karl has already acknowledged the OP isn't a TV customer.

So to say you don't have to pay the fee unless you accept the terms is incorrect.

Highlighted
Community Star

@Visionman  Sadly, I think you're wrong! Access to the TalkTalk Player in respect of box sets is part of the TalkTalk TV service. Access to rentals/buy to keep is part of the TalkTalk TV store. One is liable to a fee, the other isn't. Did you ever watch that US sitcom from years gone by called "Soap?" Motto: confused, you will be.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

jacamoco>

So to say you don't have to pay the fee unless you accept the terms is incorrect.

I never said that in any of my posts.