cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

My new You View Box won’t work

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

The new box has arrived. However, my router is too far away to connect it to the box and it will not connect remotely. My previous box worked without any problems. Also, in the quick start up guide it says the blue menu button will open the main menu and the grey button on the remote opens up the More TV. My remote does not have these buttons and there wasn’t a new one in the box.

Highlighted
Community Star

New remotes are not sent with replacement boxes as they work the same on all boxes. You only have to return the old box and keep your existing remote.

Sorry, but I can't understand why your new box won't  connect to the router as it should be a straight swap, so if your old box connected, your new one will too via the same method.

Can you explain further please?

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
Highlighted

My old box was not connected to the router with a cable - I think it was connected wirelessly. When I have plugged in the new box it just keeps saying it is not connected to the internet. 

Highlighted
Community Star

YouView boxes are not designed to be connected wirelessly.

It is possible to do so but you would have needed a single attached to the box and some kind of bridging system.

It sounds as if you have not connected the new box in the same manner as the old, 

I suggest you check your cables again.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
Highlighted
Community Star

Can I just check that your old box used to connect to the catch-up players OK? I.e. were you able to use BBC iplayer?

I ask as you used to be able to set the box up without an internet connection, but the set up has been changed to require an internet connection.

Highlighted

I never actually used iPlayer or catch up so don’t know if they worked. I don’t know how the old box was connected - it can’t have been in any complicated way or I wouldn’t have been able to do it. I only know that it was not connected by a cable to the router and the new box won’t work as I cannot connect it to the router as they are too far apart. 

Highlighted
Community Star

Unfortunately, to set the box up these days you need an internet connection.

This can be achieved with power line plugs which cost around £30 and would give you access to the other functions of the box such as catch up.

Alternatively if you know someone who has a box connected to their TV and internet, perhaps you could ask them to set up the box for you and then take it back home, which should then work as your old one did.