Need help?

Netflix problems

ANSWERED
18 REPLIES
Highlighted
tdaddy
Chatterbox

Hi

A problem that I have been experiencing a lot of late is that when I'm watching Netflix, the programme will be fine for about 10 minutes or so, but then freezes and starts to try and load back up again. It always gets stuck at 25% and then an error message appears to say that there has been a problem. The only way to solve it at the moment is to then return to the Netflix menu and 'resume watching'.

This is happening pretty much every time I use Netflix and doesn't appear to be affecting the other on demand players. Can anyone at Talk Talk see issues that might be causing this problem please? Many thanks.

Community Team
Solution

Hi,

Can you reboot the router also and retest please.

Thanks

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

tdaddy
Chatterbox

Thanks. Seems to be working so far......

tdaddy
Chatterbox

Just following on from my last comment, this problem hasn't really gone away unfortunately.

Every time I go to watch Netflix, the programme will freeze after about 10 minutes or so and stick at 25% buffering until I go through the process of restarting it. It normally takes three or four interruptions to watch a half hour programme.

Restarting the router only seems to temporarily sort the problem out and is very incovenient to have to keep doing.

Any thoughts on how I can get a reliable connection without interruption please? Many thanks.

Community Team

Hi,

Your line readings look stable, but I've made a change to increase the speeds a bit more, if this does not resolve, then I think we need to replace the router to see if that is at fault.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

dflack
Wizz Kid

Its definitely not the router or the line! You are not alone in this,this problem has been happening in exactly the same way on my Talktalk TV box ever since netflix was introduced! I previously had and ADSL connection with an excellent Billion Bipac 7800N router providing 16Mbs and this happened in the same way. I now have fibre large with 80 Mbs and the not so 'super router' (I am waiting on a better router from Billion). However everything works, no problems with IPTV or amazon instants on my Samsung smart PVR and indeed none of these Netflix problems on our second smart Samsung TV which is connected to the same network.

It follows that the problem is in the netflix app or the TV box itself and not the router or the quality of the broadband connection. My money is on the problem being with the Youview box as it is slow and frequently 'freezes' when online requiring a reboot. Talktalk are unlikely to do much about this as it would cost them too much to replace the TV boxes.

Basically I can watch Netflix on my network without any difficulty on My four PC's, IPad and new Samsung second TV! Unfortunately my Samsung PVR does not have an App for netflix so to resolve the problem I will probably have to buy another add on box or a newer Samsung Smart TV for my lounge

dflack
Wizz Kid

I have found a solution which at least seems to practically resolve this problem. Go into your Netfix account on your computer (https://www.netflix.com/YourAccount)  and under profile select 'play back settings' change the video streaming from 'Auto' to 'medium'. Reboot your Talktalk box by turning it off for 30 seconds. The problem or at least the manifesting symptoms will be resolved. This is a practical solution but there is clearly an underlying problem with the box firmware or the netflix app.

tdaddy
Chatterbox

Thanks - I will give that a go.

dflack
Wizz Kid

Hi Karl

Its not the router and most prbably not the quality of the broadband connection. The problem lies in the TV box firmware or the Netflix app. Effectively the box cannot handle the high definition streaming from Netflix and losses connection to their servers. The solution that worked for me is below --

I have found a solution which at least seems to practically resolve this problem. Go into your Netfix account on your computer (https://www.netflix.com/YourAccount)  and under profile select 'play back settings' change the video streaming from 'Auto' to 'medium'. Reboot your Talktalk box by turning it off for 30 seconds. The problem or at least the manifesting symptoms will be resolved. This is a practical solution but there is clearly an underlying problem with the box firmware or the netflix app.

Regards

David Flack

dflack
Wizz Kid

Let me know if it works for you.

Regards

David

chadders
Conversation Starter

Had the same problem , Netflix worked ok on 2 phones and a Panasonic pvr but not on the talktalk box. Spoke to talktalk who weren't interested so cancelled my tv boosts and tv package and have gone back to my old box.

Netflix working fine again.

Timcookester
First Timer

my internet is terrible. I have fibre broadband and use power link adaptors to my Youview box. Netflix is constantly freezing at 25%, almost every 5 minute a I have to reset it.

my wifi is also incredibly slow on computers and phones. I have to reset the router at least once a day. Is there a reason for this or is talktalk just an appalling isp?

thanks 

royleaj
First Timer

I'm having the same issue as this: I was watching netflix tv series and then intermittently the program freezes and the loading circle appears, stops at 25% and then a menu appears inviting amongst other things me to check the netflix connection. The set top box operates through power adaptors. I've switch everything off twice and back on again, however this continues to happen and spoil my viewing, how can I fix this?

chadders
Conversation Starter

Unfortunately I havnt found a fix yet, despite replacing the power line adapters, master phone socket and router twice it is still happening.

ChiefWEMR
First Timer

HI I am new to this Forum and I can see that there have been a lot of people having problems with Netflix stopping at Midnight. But no fix so what is the current situation? is there a solution or has it just got pushed to the back of the talktalk queue. The new talktalk software update has made no difference.

Another grey haired expert!
awalsh
First Timer

my netfix worked fine for a few months now it knocks off after about 10 mins and goes back to tv channels anyone fix this

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @awalsh

Could you please start your own thread for support as each problem is individual and needs investigating separately. Could you please also ensure that your community profile includes your PHONE NUMBER as OCE's will need this to tie up your screen name to your account. (click on your avatar to view the information, Settings, Personal information, then scroll to the bottom of page and click save)

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
stockman27
Conversation Starter

Hi I am getting a slow connection and then an error message saying that Netflix cannot show that title at the moment. Is this netflix or the internet.

Cheers

John 

John C

Retired Telecoms Consultant- Engineer
stockman27
Conversation Starter

If you reduce the play back they will work but I have netflix set up in 7.2 and HD and if I go to  a medium setting this will give a lower quaily.

Is there any IT engineers that can catch the packets and see if this is talktalk or netflix.

Cheers

John 

John C

Retired Telecoms Consultant- Engineer