cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Netgear D6400 VLAN Priority 1 TV Plus Internet Speed Help

13 REPLIES
SteveyMc
Popular Poster

I use a reliable Netgear D6400 with my TalkTalk Fast Fibre service rather than the supplied router. I recently upgraded to TV Plus and initially the Boost Channels would not work. Upon searching the forums before registration I stumbled across a solution to my problem. By default the VLAN Priority was 2 and would not work. The solution I found was to switch to Priority 1 and the Boost Channels worked immediately. Although the Internet is connected there has been a very noticeable drop in Line Speeds with much Slower Throughput.

I was originally receiving speeds close to Max 79Mbps Down, 20Mbps Up, 21ms Ping but since the changes my profile has dropped to 52Mbps Down, 17Mbps Up, 46ms Ping. We notice with the drop in speed that when my young son using Xbox Live to play FIFA online the playable speed has become very slow and cumbersome with a longer button press delay.

I have retried the HG633 but the overall perfomance to my home network with multiple devices connected is too restrictive and a great deal worse. Is there something I have missed within the Netgear D6400 settings or will my line speeds resync with DLM and increase in a number of days after these changes? Patience in the digital age isn't always easy to explain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gondola
Community Star

Have you tried VLAN Priority 0?

The reason I ask is that 0 is the default and equates to 'best-effort'.

The equivalent Quality of Service setting usually recommended is UBR or unspecified bit rate which again is equivalent to 'best effort'.

I'm not saying that VLAN priority 1 doesn't work because I know that other members have found it works but I'm interested. I just don't have a Netgear to try it on.

Gondola - I'm a PlusTV customer *
SteveyMc
Popular Poster

Thanks for your reply which I will attempt and reply with the findings. Kind regards

SteveyMc
Popular Poster

Hi Gondola, I changed VLAN priority to '0' and Subscription Channels still work. My line stats are still lower than previous though with Speeds, Latency and Throughput. My son has also tested Xbox Live and it is more playable than when the Router was on VLAN '1' but not as responsive as VLAN '2' which didn't work for Subscription Channels. Do you think my Line will Resync, improve and return to previous speeds? Are there any other changes possible that may help?

Netgear Auto-Setup always detects and adds VLAN '2' by default which was obviously causing the issue. Further to the confusion when scouring the internet for VLAN Priority is the difference between PCP and Priority?

PCP Priority Acronym Traffic types
10 (lowest)BKBackground
01(Default)BEBest Effort
22EEExcellent Effort
33CACritical Applications
44VIVideo, < 100 ms latency and jitter
55VOVoice, < 10 ms latency and jitter
66ICInternetwork Control

7 (highest)NC

Network Control

SteveyMc
Popular Poster

Hi Gondola, VLAN Priority '0' is having a negative impact on my overall fibre service. The TV Plus and Subscription Channels are working no problem but I am experiencing slower speeds, poorer throughput and increased latency on other connected devices. The changes are also causing disconnections from Xbox Live and Major Lag during gameplay. Are there any further suggestions you can offer or even recommend another router compatible with the talktalk tv service? Kind regards 

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @SteveyMc

Obviously reset to VLAN Priority 1 as this works for others.

Not having a Netgear to test with is somewhat of a disadvantage for me.

As for routers that will work with the TalkTalk TV Service and that are also approved for connection to the Openreach network the answer is easy. A TalkTalk Super Router.  It's supplied and maintained by TalkTalk.

SteveyMc
Popular Poster

Thanks for the quick reply again @Gondola and all the help. Sadly I need My Router to offer much more than the provided HG633 Super Router.

The performance of the Netgear D6400 on VLAN '2' without a TV Plus & Subscription Channels worked flawlessly. Since upgrading my service it appears to be an issue with the Multicast/IGMP causing issues on my network.

If something doesn't quite work when it should I perservere until I find a solution. Hopefully I can delve a little deeper. Kind regards

SteveyMc
Popular Poster

Hi again @Gondola I considered what you said about the Super Router and gave it another go. Although the wireless perfomance and available options are poorer than my Netgear D6400 it can run on VLAN '2' with TV Plus & Subscription Channels to provide a smoother experience with multiple devices. Perhaps a D6400 firmware update is required from Netgear to work better with IGMP/Multicast Traffic?

Also, due to the Xbox Live service I have had to disable ICMP Flood Protection in the Firewall of the HG633 to stop Multiplayer Packets being blocked. Obviously my sons Xbox One needs to be Pingable Online but this appears the only option available on the HG633 to allow it?

Finally I have found port 1024 shows Open with the Youview box when using grc shields up to Port Scan All Service Ports. Is this a Security concern knowing that the TalkTalk service has been breached in the past?

I understand you may not be able to answer questions I've asked but perhaps our conversation may be of use to others? Kind regards

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @SteveyMc

I'm not a gameplayer so don't know instantly what ports will be used with the XBox. I thought I'd better do a check of open ports here and there's no response on 1024.

I would advise a malware / virus scan just to make sure.  1024 is one of the common ports to find open with some trojans.

What firmware is your TalkTalk router running?

SteveyMc
Popular Poster

Hi @Gondola 

I'll post a Screenshot of the current Firmware Version. Thanks for the advice, I'll get straight onto running a scan, thanks.

TT Firmware Version.jpg

Gondola
Community Star

...HG633 is bang up to date with release firmware.

SteveyMc
Popular Poster

Hi @Gondola I'm pleased the firmware is up to date. I've also completed a Full Security Scan and everything comes back clear. However after performing another scan of the service ports 1024 is still Open rather than Stealth. I've adjusted the zoom but hopefully you can see from the photo below

TT Shields Up 1024.jpg

Gondola
Community Star

Hi

Just rechecked with TV Box on and off and I still don't get a response from an online port scan. Port Scan negativePort Scan negative

Port 1024 is used by the TV Box that's for sure but it is a secure connection just for the TV box and so far as I can see not a route past the firewall into your pc. 

You've checked that there isn't any other software holding the port open so that's comforting.

I've just looked at some other YouView forum posts and it does seem that ShieldsUp! does, in it's checking, flag up 1024 as open.  So whatever or however ShieldsUp! is checking I think it's a false positive as the router (my router anyway) doesn't have this port open for general traffic.

SteveyMc
Popular Poster

Hi @Gondola, you're a credit to the community with all the time, quick responses, information and now reassurance with security you've given to me. I greatly appreciate the help and I'm sure you'll continue to be a big help to others too.

I'll keep using the HG633 but I will contact Netgear support to see if they are aware of any D6400 issues regarding VLAN Priority & Multicast Traffic? You never know there could be a simple explainable bug in the firmware? I'll let you know if they do offer anything of importance that could also be of help to the community? Kindest regards and keep up the great work. Thumbs upWink