Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New to talk talk

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Repeat Guest

new to talk talk. Just got the faster fibre broadband and thinking of getting the TV box. 

Is the TV box a contract like broadband so for, let's say, 18 months. Or can I cancel at any time? Woth no charge (£4 a month)

Also if I'm no longer in contract with talk talk for TV or broadband can I still use the box for some services like the free view or netflix app?

And does the TV box have the Disney plus app too? 

Thanks 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Shona

The TV charge is not contractual so can me cancelled after a month.

It's only worth getting the TV box is you want to watch on demand and subscription services.

If only for freeview then your normal TV would do this.

Also, the Disney + app is not currently available via the box.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Thank you for your answer.

How does the box connect 

Does it have to be connected by ethernet cable straight to the router or is it by Wireless? 

My router isn't very close to the TV 

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi

The TV box requires a cable connection to the router, either directly or via powerline adapters.  There is no wireless option for the box.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

What are the powerline adapters? 

Are they the network connectors that you can choose to buy with the box for £20?

Thanks 

Highlighted

Hi

Yes, the network adapters are powerline adapters.

Regards,

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Hi just recieved the box and I cannot connect it with my aerial? The aerial isn't the same as the one you have supplied but there is no way I can plug in the one that was supplied. Any help? 

Thanks 

Highlighted

Hi

Is this the connector from your roof aerial.

Does the connector on the end of the aerial lead look like the pic below ?

Thanks  

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Hi no my aerial doesn't look like that. 

I've also bought the 2 connectors to connect the box to the Internet but its isn't connecting. The two connectors won't link up.

I'm going to go crazy. Its annoying 

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

I've noticed my box keeps lagging a lot too  keeps freezing. 

Nothing is going right so far. About to bang my head on the wall..

-Box lags/freezes

-Network connectors won't connect

-Aerial doesnt fit the box. Found an adapter for the aerial and plugged it all in and that still doesn't work... im so fed up now...

Highlighted
Community Star

I'm afraid that staff don't usually work weekends on the forum,  @Shona5, so you probably won't hear back before Monday. 

Chat is available over the weekend on links from this page:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Gliwmaeden2
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi @Shona5 

Can you post a photo of what your home aerial connection looks like?

Are you perhaps trying to connect the box to a Sky dish?

Something like this - note the internal thread on the connector.

20-X-Twin-F-Plug-Connector-Satellite-Sky-_57

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@Shona5 

If you can't connect to the aerial or the internet, what are you trying to watch on the box that is lagging/freezing?  Is it a box that has been used elsewhere so has some recordings on it?

If you can't connect the aerial or internet that would explain why you can't get a good signal - in fact I would be very surprised that you got any signal at all.

Can you post photos of your set up, as that might help diagnose your problem.

What happens if you connect your aerial direct to the TV, ignoring the Youview box - do you get a good stable signal that way?

Are you using a rooftop or loft aerial?

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Yes thats what it looks like 

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

It does look like that picture so I'm guessing it is a sky dish. Does that mean I am suppose to have another aerial somewhere that goes into the box instead? 

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

We dont have this aerial socket in our council home

Screenshot_20201017-155149_Chrome.jpg

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Bad news then I'm afraid, @Shona5 

You won't be able to use the Youview box to watch any of the Freeview channels or some of the On Demand players unless you can get an aerial fitted but you can watch services provided via your internet connection.  I think that you will need an aerial to set up the box, but you may have a freindly neighbour who will let you connect the box to theirs (and their TV) for a short while.

There are two types of aerial - terrestrial, which basically means that you get the signal from a transmitter on land, or satellite, which in the UK means Sky and you will have a dish somewhere on the external walls of your home.

As you live in a Council house you will need to check with the Council if you can fit the aerial that you need.  I know that sometimes you are not allowed a Sky dish, but don't know about terrestrial.  You can have the aerial on the external wall or on the roof, but an alternative if you have good signal strength is a loft installation which is what I have.

And don't forget your TV licence -

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

Live TV means any programme you watch or record as it’s being shown on TV or live on an online TV service. It’s not just live events like sport, news and music. It also covers soaps, series, documentaries and even movies.

An online TV service is any streaming or smart TV service, website or app that lets you watch live TV over the internet. This includes services like All 4, Sky Go, Virgin Media, Now TV, BT TV, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video and ITV Hub.

Don't forget, a TV Licence also covers you to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand on your television, laptop, mobile phone or any other device.