would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

No Broadband connection on YouView Box

ANSWERED
13 REPLIES
Kronik_Kay
Repeat Guest

I have a YouView box that has had an Internet connection fine for the last two years or so. It sudddenly stopped connecting to the Internet but connected to the router. I can ping the TV box but it replies intermittently, it has it's own reverved DHCP address, I have changed the cables, checked that other devices can connect to the Internet over the same cable and it all works fine. I have done a factory reset on the box which worked first time a few weeks ago to get it back on the Internet, it failed again. Factory Reset this time will now not connect to the Internet and I can no longer access any menu's on the box except the connect to Internet, which fails every time. I have spent many hours on chats to TT and now feel, as suspected originally, the NIC on the box is failing and now died. I did a Reset from the Maintenance mode, no joy, I did a software restore from Maintenance mode and this gets so far and stops, probably beecause there is no connection to download the software. Any help appreciated.

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @Kronik_Kay

How is your box connected to the router ? Powerlines or Eternet cable ?

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Kronik_Kay
Repeat Guest

Hi fre55die, it is via an ethernet cable to a switch then to the router via CAT5e. Cheers

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @Kronik_Kay

I have escalated this for OCE support for you and they will respond here.

Could you please ensure that your community profile includes your PHONE NUMBER as OCE's will need this to tie up your screen name to your account. (click on your avatar to view the information > Settings > Launch Profile Wizard,put your phone number in box, then scroll to the bottom of page and click save)

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Community Team

Hi Kronik_Kay

I'm unable to see the box online and no discovery logs are present.

I'll swap out the box and see if this helps.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Make Broadband Better - Join The Sam Knows Trial

Kronik_Kay
Repeat Guest
Hi Karl, thanks for this, are you sending a new box? Many thanks Christian
Community Team

Hi

A new one is on the way.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Kronik_Kay
Repeat Guest

Hi Karl, many thanks for the box, arrived today. Connected it up with high hopes but the problem remains the same, however... I put the new ethernet cable in, rebooted the switch, restarted the TT router, still the problem remains. When selecting auto connect, the box obtains its reserved IP, says it has connected to the router but is unable to route out to the Internet.

I factory reset the TT router and the box connected long enough to obtain updates, and run through the setup screens. I went to update the players and apps as they were missing, it said they were all up to date, I went to the apps and it said there was no Internet connection and on the settings screen indeed the Internet had gone again. The set top box pings intermittently from PC's around the house with a 40% loss on 825 pings. The only thing I changed on the router was adding my NAS external access port (5001) but not sure if the Internet dropped before I did this. The router fyi is on Firmware 2.00t. I am at a loss now, if you have any suggestions please let me know. On a plus point, we can now watch Freeview :-) Cheers

Community Team

Hi

You did not mention a switch.  Is the set top box direct to the router or connected to the switch ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Kronik_Kay
Repeat Guest

Hello, yes it goes through a switch shared with the TV. Always has and never been a problem.. I am guessing you will ask to connect it directly so I will try and get round to that tonight.

Cheers

Christian

Community Team
Solution

Hi

Some switches do not carry across the IGMP data required for IPTV services so you will often find that on demand programs work as these use standard internet data for this, such as any streaming service but IPTV (Live TV) relies on IGMP.

By passing the switch can rule this out.  Also, depending on the type of switch you have, check the manual or config to make sure it will handle IGMP data.

Thanks

Karl. 

Kronik_Kay
Repeat Guest

Karl you genius, switched to a router that performs IGMP snooping, bingo, works.

Many thanks for your time with this, much appreciated.

Christian

Community Team

Hi

Glad I've been able to help :)

Regards,

Karl. 

Kronik_Kay
Repeat Guest

Thanks fre55die I have closed the case now, Karl helped me sort it out. FYI it is via a switch to the router.

Cheers

Christian