would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Normal tv channels picture break up on new Youview box

ANSWERED
17 REPLIES
stmterrace
Conversation Starter

Had a new Youview box sent out to us the other day due to Now Tv no longer being supported on the original box.

All plugged in and setup but have real problems mainly on the standard Bbc1/2 Itv4 Ch4 and 5 channels with really bad breakup which come evening time it gets even worse to the point of it being unwatchable. HD versions of those channels are ok. Box was plugged into factually the same cable as previous box so no difference there. Have completed a factory reset and also returned the box without the aerial cable in and then with it in as suggested in another posts.

Original box is connected to another tv via another cable and that still behaves ok. Have tried it back downstairs and again no breakup. Looking at the signal strength and quality on the original it reads around 62% on strength and 100% on quality on the 4 main channels which remains reasonably static on the new one signal strength is around 52% but quality bounces around a lot around anything between 82% and 75% at times.

Any ideas? Is it a duff box?

Thanks in advance Carl

Community Team

Hi

Are the channels also breaking up when connected to the other aerial cable downstairs ?

Thanks

Karl. 

stmterrace
Conversation Starter

Break up is only on new box downstairs, where no cabling has changed (apart from power cable). Old box works perfectly upstairs and downstairs.

Community Team

Hi

Does the new box work upstairs on that aerial with no breakup.

Karl.

stmterrace
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl sorry for the slow response but just wanted to try another cable.

Right state off play it appears that new box maybe the problem as after trying it upstairs for a longer period the breakup seems to manifest the longer the box stays on.

When the old box is plugged in either upstairs or downstairs the signal strength sits around 58/59% with the signal quality sitting at a solid 100% on the new box the signal strength is at the same 58/59% but signal quality bounces around a lot more starts around 100% once switched on but the longer it stays on the more erratic it becomes with the signal quality sometimes dropping into the high 70% but generally flicking in and out of the 80s/90s whilst the old box sits at a steady 100% either upstairs or downstairs.

As mentioned I did try a different coax cable but still the same.

And this is trying the new box upstairs and downstairs as well.

Have tried it on the four main channels only but the breakup can really be on any channel but just as a test have kept it to the four main ones. Hd variations dont seem to suffer the same as was able to watch Luther ok last night on the BBC Hd but would of been unwatchable.

Community Team

Hi

Ideally the signal strength should be above 60% to cope with any interferance or weather related issues that can affect it.  Are you able to use a signal booster at all to improve the strength.

Thanks

Karl. 

stmterrace
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl the signal strength has never been an issue with picture break up as has never been a problem before at its present level it seems to be more of a problem with the signal quality which seems the issue as this is the one that keeps fluctuating on the new box.

It just seems odd that on the old box upstairs and downstairs which both run off a booster anyway has a 100% all the time yet the new box signal strength on the same cables upstairs and downstairs  jumps about.

On a good note since the last retune/move off box from one room to another the new box is better with only a ittle break up which you dont really notice now but watching the signal strength it still bounces about but seems to stay in the 90s only occasionally dropping into the 70s.

So it is very much improved from the first week of use when it was almost unwatchable just seemed odd that the old box is perfect and stable but the new one was causing the problem.

I will monitor it and see what happens.

Community Team

Hi stmterrace

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know how you get on and if you are still experiencing this issue.

Debbie

stmterrace
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

I think I spoke to soon as turned on tv today and the breakup is back to its worst again. Checking the signal quality is down in the 70s again pretty much unwatchable on most channels apart from hd channels.

Old box as steady as a rock. Same cabling either upstairs or down!

What next?

Community Team
Solution

Hi

OK, lets swap out that box to make sure that it does not have an issue with the tuner.

Thanks

Karl. 

stmterrace
Conversation Starter

Ok Karl that would be great.

Community Team
stmterrace
Conversation Starter

Thanks Karl yet again for your quick and helpfull response.

Will let you know how it works out over the next couple of days.

Carl

Community Team
stmterrace
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl,

Update on problem as promised, new box plugged in and setup and so far had no picture breakup on any of the channels, signal quality sits at a solid 100% all the time unlike the other box which bounced around so as far as I can say job done/case closed. Will return faulty box ASAP

On another note I got an email from TalkTalk informing me that TalkTalk TV would be going up another £4 a month but that this would be giving me Multi room option on my boosts etc, now it mentions that I need to purchase a box for £50 but as I already have two my original not compatibile NOwTv box and now the new box can I just get the multiroom added without any additional cost other than the £4 a month.

Thanks again for your help as usual top notch service.

Carl

Community Team

Hi stmterrace,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear this :)

We currently only offer multi room with an engineer install visit. This would be another TalkTalk TV box and the engineer would set this up with adapters if needed. A Now TV box wouldn't be compatible with multi room. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

stmterrace
Conversation Starter

Sorry should of made it a bit more clearer both boxes I have are TalkTalk You View boxes supplied by yourselves so I wouldnt need any new boxes plus have all relevant powerline adapters.

I think thats a bit cheeky slapping an extra £4 p/m wether they take up the offer or not and then expecting customers to then cough up and additional £50 for an engineer to pop out press a few buttons (no disrespect)to get it all setup.

I must admit with the dwindling content on the Sky Sports Boost (far enough I know this is out of your control) and the removal of Sky1/Sky2 etc earlier on last year from the standard tv option I think I may very well be considering my options when my contract comes up for renewal next time round and Im sure if I switch to BT i could easily negotiate to get the £24 a year saving that you quote reduced.

Community Team

Hi stmterrace,

Apologies for the confusion. Unfortunately we don't have a self install option at the moment so it would be £25.00 for the engineer to set this up if you already have the extra TV box.

Thanks