Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Not my youviewbox but dads. Me at work now but will try and help by doing this

14 REPLIES
danielabingdon
Team Player

So noticed before around dads the tv all off a sudden has not signal or the youview box. 

Now did again saturday so took the youview box out of the aerial loop by just plugging together, did a scan on the TV just because it is good to do every now and then and wanted to see as the channels came up on the scan the signal strength, all fine as expected. just that on the big antenna on the roof. The tv signal dies because of the box that is some years old, he has talktalk ages so a good customer they are now talking to him like daft and don't know anything. usual chat to god knows where by staff that are told customer is wrong and daft. nothing ever goes wrong and we all lie. had my service not going for 6 weeks and me wrong.

To the point, chat I not seen, nothing wrong with it, so no signal on it or to the telly but they 3000 miles away know it works. sat at mum and dads watching telly then when it plays up. I don't think so. like my internet connectiong not going but computer says ok. That was hard work, getting another crap underpowered box, how long will this take or how much arguing. anyone in UK talktalk staff ring him.Just needs a name, you will find him. postcode as well if you want. Will only be one. not a smith or Jones. surname!. 

Daniel Glover
Community Team

Hi Daniel,

Can you please be a little more clear as to the problem with the box.  Is this Terrestrial channels that are affected or the internet channels (subscription) etc.

What is happening when watching the channel, picture breakup, pixellation etc, or any on screen errors ?

Is the youview box direct to the router with a cable ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

danielabingdon
Team Player

Hi

Is the freeview part. box would run as a digital free to air box without internet connection it has, wired.

Will not do telly. says not signal (antenna) and then as roof ariel goes into that and out to TV then TV has not freeview signal as well. Mostly works but sometimes stops.  Something failing, not right.

Does not do subsription TV, just got internet and phone with this youview box thrown in. out of minimum contract. Had years. On FTTC.

Take ariel connection out of the youview loop and TV happy again. retuned to get any changes, good to retune every now and then, all good quality.

When it works is fine. sometimes goes blokey, freezes. Mostly does nothing. No signal.

Good wideband antenna on roof, Not that. TV fine without youview box.

Just want him to have a new one. Likes to record on it now cant do. He could have mine as dont use for recording, got a panasonic DVD recorder. freeview hard disk in one for that but older TV so use for catch up. Dads do that as internet bit fine. could swap but I get a duff then. No ariel feed on my youview anyway, just internet for iplayer.

Can he have a new one. even recontract if a nicer price for 2 years. Can he get a phone call from UK karl. guess you are. Not seen chat but got knowhere , it works, No it does not.

Daniel Glover
Community Team

Hi

If the box is not showing freeview content after a retune, and the aerial signal is working when connected direct to the TV, we would recomend trying a Youview Maintenance Reset (Option 4: Keep Recordings). first.

Please note any future scheduled recordings will be lost and will have to be rescheduled.

If the box keeps failing then our teams would look at either a replacement or engineer to look at this.  As this is your fathers box however he would need to contact our teams directly to look at this.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

danielabingdon
Team Player

Nice one. will try this next few days. ariel connection needs putting back. 

Daniel Glover
danielabingdon
Team Player

So friday put ariel conection back into the youview box and then off to panasonic DVD, hard disk recorder, then upto TV. So all as it should, retuned all 3 things, did the reset youview box thing. Got a TV signal 2 way booster amp at a jumble sale the sunday before, using that into 1st thing, youview box. good quality, signal strengh about 45%. seems ok but did before then suddenly not works. might be ariel on way out but I think ok. why work most of time then not if coax, arial dodgy.

So lets see. If it plays up again he can have our box to try. Never use it for arial TV watching. good for catch up once in a while as tv 7 years old and no interactive stuff worth having now.  did but as time went on it got unsupported. So can try our youview box to proove a point is next thing.

Daniel Glover
danielabingdon
Team Player

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/Not-my-youviewbox-but-dads-Me-at-work-now-but-will-t...

So no telly signal on telly. after pratting around on the phone (we are at work) worked out Panasonic bluray/hard disk recorder no signal. youview box first bit of kit from aerial booster so that dies, panasonic thing and samsung (new) telly get nothing. He said youview box very hot. No lights, so died. Do not need anyone to come out. It been wrong for ages. Telly goes every now and then. Not in and out aerial cables taken out the thing, pushed together as male and female. PSU for youview pulled out of one of the double sockets behind telly. So now no youview on set up. Panasonic blueray hard disk thing and telly now going.     you look up his details. Can do I guess or pass this to someone that can.   Ray Glover.   abingdon.  that should be enough. ring him please. there now. He not doing 90 minutes on chat again to be told it works. had that 5  weeks ago!.

Daniel Glover
Community Team

Hi danielabingdon, your dad will have to register on here or call in for support on this. I'm guessing that when you livechat they get you to connect the aerial to the telly with nothing else connected and check if that works. If it does did they then get you to add in the Youview box? They should insist that the booster, bluray and DVR aren't connected at all during this testing. 

danielabingdon
Team Player

Can we have a number then that goes to uk. He not unplugging other bits to leave a dead hot and no light on youview box. just wants a new one. talktalk take enough money each month and he had for years. these slow underpowered plastic pile of rubbish box been paid for over the years many times over.

Why wont anyone say ok, it has died (never talktalk service or equipment) had it all myself. no internet for 4 weeks once. But computer said working, no one interested. if I cant do internet, not going!.

Is this going the same way. should be a new one. too hard work. It has died. Does nothing. He just wantas what is being paid for. youview box as that is the contract he pays for, recordable box please. Can he ring someone that knows about this, a number to a direct department. Not scipt money in god knows where. that gets knowhere. Not wasting hours of his time, did weeks ago and told it works. does not, intermittant. nothing at all now. hot and no front light. So test a dead box that might set alight. I dont think so.

thank you for reply but is hard. a customer for years. A quick call from you to him. or some department would sort this. He will ring but does not do testing, unplugging, hard enough to get the in and out leads pulled out and joined together to get it out the aerial chain and telly going. 

Phone number to ring of someone that knows. Old old one can go back if not believed but really is fit for the bin. Does nothing.

:)

Daniel Glover
danielabingdon
Team Player

Pointless test, read again. Telly goes with booster not really needed as youview box kills signal. Bluray. hard disk thing fine. without dead youview box in the chain, all good.

Has died. an idiot can work that out. hot and no lights.

Daniel Glover
Community Team

Maybe an idiot can work it out, but I'm not fully understanding your description of the way it's connected. Why is there a booster connected? If you just plug the Youview box in without connecting anything does it overheat and go off? Are all the devices connected to the same power socket/multi gang adaptor? Do you have a photo showing everything connected? 

danielabingdon
Team Player

Hi

Was getting at people.at home could work out it has died. Not you   😁.

Are 3 double sockets. Telly stand. A built in 4 way strip for nornal size plugs. Youview box in one on wall as big psu. Was out.of wall areil lead. Youview. Dvd thing then telly. Take out youview box. Join in and out.leads. telly. Dvd hard disk thing good. Botj moan no.sigbal with dead hot youview. Works when it does. Now died. Things happen. Just want a new one. Booster will go but at moment helping. Can go when yluview a new one is back. That freezes picture every now and then. Took out for a bit. Then ok. He liked as old telly rubbish interactive stuff. New samsung december. Now catchup on that but like to record on it. Dvd. Harddisk thing he finds harder to work but will now as all he got.

On phone. So mistakes

Daniel Glover
fre55die
Community Star

Hi @danielabingdon

This whole thing is getting totally confusing to all so let's keep it simple ( I assume that you have enabled the antenna out on the TT box (YV button > Settings > Picture and Sound > Antenna out (on)) !!! Could you just answer these questions separately without embelishments.

Could you please list the MANUFACTURER and MODEL NUMBERS of :

1) The TT box?

2) The DVD recorder ( I doubt if it's a Bluray recorder!!) Also does this receive Freeview channels independantly when connected directly by aerial to the recorder or is it a non freeview model needing an external Freeview decoding source ? Or is it just a Bluray PLAYER ?

3) The television set? Again is this Freeview or analogue. What inputs does it have ?

Initial steps to set up :

JUST DO THIS FOR NOW !!

1) Ariel from socket in wall to TT box in.

2) Ariel out from TT box to TV.

3) HDMI lead connected from TT box to TV.

What happens ???

After we establish these results we can move on !!!

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
danielabingdon
Team Player

Hi

Is a bluray. harddisk recorder. 3 month old £1200 samasing qled telly. Has worked. Now been playing up. ruins signal. telly freezees every now and then. Took it out then ok. Put back to see if it plays up again, Does. Now the other day in morning telly said no signal. Again just took out in and out leads from youview box, Pushed together so not it is out the aerial chain. Telly and panasonic blueray, harddisk thing happy again. youview first thing. Not it is hot he said and no lights, doing nothing.  when it worked it was fine.

Now died. Just wants another one. in his contract. had talktalk for years. 

things break. Not the set up. his December lastest telly. 

Just keep saying same thing. It has died. Can do tests. take out the chain to get him going,. ok he did as me at work when moaning other day no telly.

Hot, no lights. no response on control.

Hard to get.

I did not think so.

He not pulling out leads, doing daft tests when box has blown up.

If it just got sorted as people believed me it has died (things happen), ok but this now boring.

90 minutes on chat to somewhere to put on a internet connected channel, it works. So box works then.  They not listen. areial connection gets killed.

Box died now. nothing.

did work. not now.

Cant keep doing this. A box a few years old. 4. not sure. recordable thing.   

Daniel Glover
danielabingdon
Team Player

Hi

Got my youview box out to take round before work, was going to change over after work.

Same box. Mine DN372T

Blueray thing and tv connections control box (separate box on samsung) sits on top shelf.

Old school video, got on and no aeiel (analogue. no need) and youview box on that on bottom shelf so youview pretty much on its own with loads of gaps. So getting hot and dying nothing to do with stuck between things, DVD cases, anything so trap it in. gets lots of air, Just died.

Been fine for years. ok telly changed December. video not plugged in as not used but can and youview same place on telly stand. bottom on their own. Good for years.

Hot. Died.

job done!.

Daniel Glover