cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Nowtv not working - just paid for subscription to find out the hard way it doesn't work

5 REPLIES 5
adriancollins
Chat Champion

Hi,

I have just ordered a Now TV subscription to cover the Xmas period and after two days of looking for answers I have found a teeny mention (one sentence!) On the now TV help pages saying from December it no longer works on certain talktalk boxes

I'm not overly happy. I see I'm not alone and that an upgraded box is available,but what happens about all the content i have recorded on the current one I have already??

I'm not a happy bunny, AND I'm out of pocket through no fault of my own.some prior notification woild have been nice.

Any suggestions please?

adriancollins
Chat Champion

PS. I just noticed that my TV Box (a DN372T TV Plus box) is not listed on the Now TV box as one of the incompatible ones so in theory it should work ok. In which case maybe there is an update available (I am a trialist so should have the latest version already I'd have thought - version I have is 72.47.119 - no other updates available)

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv

Thanks again

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Adrian

The DN372t on the latest customer release software version 72.47.119 definitely does support NowTV and the Sky Cinema pass.  I've recently taken a year's pass for Sky Cinema and no problems.

Try a reboot of the TV Box just to reset it and then update Players and Apps.

Bear in mind the limitations imposed by NowTV. i.e. that it's only the Sky Cinema pass that's supported on the TV Box and that only 4 player devices in total can be registered at any one time with 2 in use at the same time.  Log in to NowTV and your online account to check device registration.  You can change one device a month. 

What error message do you get when logged in to the NowTV player and then trying to play Sky Cinema content?

Presumably other players work i.e. BBC iPlayer and My5 TV Players etc.?

I assume NowTV is working on other devices like a notebook or tablet?

Gondola - Community support team *

To appreciate my support  . . .  If I helped with a solution Best Answer

adriancollins
Chat Champion
Hi Gondola,
Thanks (again) for your help.
I have rebooted the TV Box etc and done all the updates.
I had no idea that there was any kind of restrictions as it was an Entertainment pass that I had purchased just to get access to watch a couple of shows on Sky Atlantic. I can now see that it probably is working fine, but it is simply restricted.
Darn it, it means I won't be able to use it at all in that case but I can understand why it is bloecked - just wish I knew about it beforehand.
Good job it was only 2 months I ordered to try it out.
Thanks for your help again!!
Cheers
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Adrian

Yes, it's a restriction that the NowTV player is only for On Demand (not live streaming) Sky Cinema content.

If you put the NowTV player app onto a tablet, for example you'll be able to watch the Entertainment pass. When we first took out a NowTV Entertainment pass to watch 'Fortitude' Season 1 and Season 2 the tablet viewing was ok.

You can always get a NowTV Smart Stick or Box or Chromecast to get the viewing onto a bigger screen if you have a spare HDMI socket on the TV. Bear in mind that using Chromecast counts as 2 devices because one is the device playing the content and the Chromecast is the device relaying the content to the bigger screen.

Smart Sticks are readily available bundled with more Entertainment content or available without content.

Christmas surprise time!  I just got an email from NowTV offering me a free Smart Box (just £5 postage). A no brainer to accept that. So, register your account with NowTV and set up to receive marketing emails and (no promises mind) you may get a similar offer.

Gondola - Community support team *

To appreciate my support  . . .  If I helped with a solution Best Answer

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @adriancollins

Currently NOW are offering their box for "free" well a £5 shipping charge, (well they were last week anyway). It's 4k compatable as well.

now.png

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.