Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Ongoing problem with TV internet connection

18 REPLIES
Scotia55
Conversation Starter

So I thought I would start a new topic in my ongoing saga of TV internet constantly dropping.  This has been going on for, literally, months.  Had a BT engineer out the other day who noted right away the cover was missing from the box at the top of the phone pole.  He replaced this and the component inside which, due to weather, was corroded.  All good so far.  Thought my problems were over.  Not so.  Internet connection to TV crashed again last night. TV light on router was off.  Again.  Had to turn everything off at the socket, leave 15 minutes and turn back on.  

What is it with TalkTalk that, after months, they cannot come up with a solution to this problem?  The only thing left is the TV box.  It is 5 years old.  Could this be the problem?    BT engineer said my phone line is fine with a strong signal so it is not that.  Given that the internet/broadband lights stay on and I can access the internet via tablet and phone, the only option left seems to be the TV box?

Any chance I can get this issue fixed?  

Community Team

Hi

I can see some errors on the line.

Now that openreach have possibly resolved an external issue, lets swap out the router first and see if this performs better.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Make Broadband Better - Join The Sam Knows Trial

Scotia55
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl

I have already had several changes of routers and the one I have now is only a few months old.  I spoke to your Tech department on the phone who ran various tests on the broadband/line.  They now think there is a fault in the broadband connection and are sending a BT engineer out next week.  I will let you know how I go.  Thank you.

Community Team

Hi

I've seen a line issue cause damage to a router before today so I always like to rule this out where possible.

Have you tested the new one to make sure ?

Also, is the phone line nice and clear with no issues during calls now the Openreach engineer has cleared the fault ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Scotia55
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl  Recveived the router today and have plugged it in.  Only getting a "fair" signal wheras with the previous one I got "excellent" signal strength.  As previously I am still seeing the previous router even though it is not connected to anything.  

Thhe phone is fine with no problems on that at all.  Will see what the BT engineer says when he calls in tomorrow. 

Community Team

Hi

OK, let me know what Openreach find.

Thanks

Karl. 

Scotia55
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl  Well the Openreach engineer has been.  He did extensive tests which showed the fault is with the equipment.  When he plugged in his own meter no fault shown.  When he plugged the TalkTalk equipment back in, it showed a fault.  

The new router you sent me was terrible I'm afraid.  It took ages to even locate the router and when it did, signal strength was poor, and several times, it disappeared entirely.  It was so bad I had to unplug it and put the original back on.  Saying that Netflix crashed again last night.  

What the engineer was saying is the fault is in the equipment not with my phone line which is very good.  He also said that I am not receiving fast broadband which is what I am paying for.  I have changedd the filter but I doubt it will have any effect given the one that was already there was brand new.  Please don't send me another router as they are making no difference whatsoever.  Was thinking of changing to fibre but am not confident that that will fix this ongoing issue. 

Community Team

Hi

This does sound disappointing. I can understand a router being faulty, but you have tested quite a few routers, the chances of them all being at fault is remote.

Thanks

Karl. 

Scotia55
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl  Agreed.  He is telling me that the equipment supplied by TalkTalk is at fault.  It is a new power plug and a new splitter.  Nothing wrong with the phone line at all.  So what happens now?  You should have the report from the engineer by now.  He said it takes about an hour.  Do I try fibre?  Will that make any difference?  

He also said I am just getting ordinary broadband.  My account says it is fast broadband.  Do I get Fibre to the Cabinet?  I am going to ring your techs and see if they can get this fixed once and for all.

Community Team

Hi

The line speeds are fine and what they should be.  

The estimated speed of your line is 9 - 19mb.

The router is in sync at 16mb so the connection rate is correct.

when you refer to signal strengths being poor, this is the wifi side of things and can be separate from the speed arriving at the router.

I've noticed some wifi congestion so have changed the wifi channel to a more clear channe;.

also i've changed the name of the 5Ghz band so this now has a number 5 at the end (same password)

Try connecting some of your devices to the 5Ghz and some to the 2Ghz and see if the signal is better and the devices more stable.

Thanks

Karl. 

Scotia55
Conversation Starter
Thanks for that. Not sure how to change the channels except on my Nexus tablet which is set to automatic. However, I think this is just kicking this into the long grass. The engineer was quite clear, the fault was coming from the equipment. Can you answer my question about fibre please?
Community Team

Hi

Fibre can give greater speeds coming into the router but will not affect wifi signal strength.  

Wifi speeds can improve as there is an overall faster speed coming in, but actual wifi signal strength is solely between the router and the device.

With regards to channels etc you do not need to change anything on the devices or phones / tablets.  When you go to the wifi settings and search for a connection to join you will now see 2 connections that look similar.  The 5Ghz will end with the number 5.  Select which connection to join and test.  You can try out both the 2 and 5Ghz connections to the router and see if one is better than the other and compare signal strength.

Thanks

Karl. 

Scotia55
Conversation Starter
Thanks for your patience Karl. So that it is clear in my head. I need to access the router online @ 192.168.1.1? I have been trying to talk to your technical team but apparently their systems are down. Again, as when I phoned last week, they were down then too. Ho hum. Since TalkTalk is offering a good price on Fibre at the moment, I may go for that and see if it helps. The whole problem is that the router loses the internet signal to the TV.
Community Team

Hi

You only need to log into the router to change any of its settings.

you would type 192.168.1.1 in your internet browser, then enter the password which is 'admin' then the password that is on the sticker on the router.

For wifi, you should not need to change anything  within the router currently as this is all ok.

With regard to the TV, the way this behaves is slightly different.  Live TV channels such as Sky 1 etc use a protocol called IGMP.  Think of this a bit like a second signal piggybacked on the internet signal.   TV on demand programs such as BBC Iplayer, Sky on demand etc will use the general internet signal for streaming, a bit like youtube on your phone or pc.

If the TV is affected, first thing to check, is to see if it is just live TV channels above 300 that are affected, if it is on demand players affected such as Iplayer, or both.   This then gives us an idea where to look to resolve the problem. 

Also, any on screen error messages can be useful as they will give me an idea as to the nature of the fault.  Some errors indicate connection issues, some can indicate an issue with content rights etc.  I'm familiar with most of the errors, so this helps when I'm looking into the problem.

Thanks

Karl. 

Scotia55
Conversation Starter
Hi Karl When the internet to the TV goes down, the error message is "not connected to the internet" and advises me to check my connection. The TV light on the router is off. Happened last night again. Just before 9. And the day before. Now that the Openreach engineer has found a continual fault when everything is connected via my router, but not when he uses his equipment, the fault appears to be in the router being supplied. Given I have had several routers, I am at a loss as to what to do next.

By live TV channels I assume you mean Freeview which I can access, via the aerial, when the internet signal goes down. We do not have Sky but use iplayer, ITV hub, Ch4 etc and also Netflix. When the TV signal on the router goes down, so does the connection to my phone, tablet and laptop. I had to turn it off for around 15 minutes last night before it reconnected. I had a text from your tech team saying they have the engineer's report and this will now escalated and will be in touch with the next steps. How long is that going to take given this issue has been going on for months?

Is it worth getting fibre which I understand comes with your new Wifi hub?
Community Team

Hi

Fibre is more resilient and gives faster speeds.

There are some really good black friday deals running this month for fibre, and I've seen some customers take fibre and end up paying less than they were on standard broadband, so always worth considering.

Take a look at our website and see if there are any deals that might interest you.  If you do call any of our customer teams, mention the issues you have had and that you're not happy with the service etc, always worth doing and see if they will offer you anything extra.

Thanks

Karl. .

Scotia55
Conversation Starter

Thanks for that Karl.  Have spoken to your tech team Manager this moring and this issue has been escalated to their Network team.  So hopefully they can finally find out what is causing this and fix it.

Scotia55
Conversation Starter
Hi Karl Just to let you know. I have upgraded to Fibre and they have given me some extra boosts and also the new wifi hub. Won't be until the 19th so will see how we go when that happens.
Community Team

Hi

Glad they have given you some boosts.  The fibre switchover time is dependent on BT openreach engineer availability as they need to switch your connection over at the local street cabinet.

Thanks

Karl.