cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Paying £4 a month just for the ability to buy additional TV services?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

After being cut off on the phone twice and finally (24 minutes later) getting to speak to someone who could help, I find out that this new £4 per month TV charge is basically an "entry fee" which - if I pay it - just allows me to purchase other TalkTalk TV services.

Since I purchased my TalkTalk TV box I have never viewed or recorded anything but the Freeview channels that come down my TV aerial. I've never had any TV come down the internet connection. Now, however, TalkTalk want to charge £4 per month for a supposed TV "service" which in fact, is no service at all, unless you pay extra.

So basically, it's £4 a month for the ability to spend more.

I deliberately didn't sign up to any of TalkTalk's TV offerings when I purchased the TV box, yet somehow, the person I spoke to was able to "remove" some mystery TV package I didn't have, so I can avoid paying £4 a month for literally nothing that I previously had for "free".

TalkTalk are becoming the RyanAir of TV/phone/internet providers! I expect next you'll start charging me a monthly fee for my TalkTalk router to convert wired internet into wireless.

Highlighted
Community Star

Just to confirm, you have cancelled the TV service/fee with customer services, yes?

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jools912 wrote:

After being cut off on the phone twice and finally (24 minutes later) getting to speak to someone who could help, I find out that this new £4 per month TV charge is basically an "entry fee" which - if I pay it - just allows me to purchase other TalkTalk TV services.

Since I purchased my TalkTalk TV box I have never viewed or recorded anything but the Freeview channels that come down my TV aerial. I've never had any TV come down the internet connection. Now, however, TalkTalk want to charge £4 per month for a supposed TV "service" which in fact, is no service at all, unless you pay extra.

So basically, it's £4 a month for the ability to spend more.

I deliberately didn't sign up to any of TalkTalk's TV offerings when I purchased the TV box, yet somehow, the person I spoke to was able to "remove" some mystery TV package I didn't have, so I can avoid paying £4 a month for literally nothing that I previously had for "free".

TalkTalk are becoming the RyanAir of TV/phone/internet providers! I expect next you'll start charging me a monthly fee for my TalkTalk router to convert wired internet into wireless.

I could have written that, it's EXACTLY what has happened to me.. I'm now wondering how many customers TalkTalk are trying to charge for a TV service that they never had!

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

I agree with the thoughts here - I don't understand TalkTalk's logic.  Why charge £4 per month for no content - I could understand it if this included 6 channels, like on old Plus TV packages.

So, if you have no boosts (or just use from over Christmas or something) and occassionally pay to rent a movie off TalkTalk's platform, you now also have to pay an additional £4 per month to access it. Makes no sense to me as this will just turn people away from TalkTalk TV.

I can only assume TalkTalk's plan is to shutdown the TV service completely, just like they did with mobile.

Highlighted
Community Star

Turn the argument around here: why pay £4 for no content? Answer: you don't have to. Simple really.

Going forwards, new TV customers will understand this to be part of the service. And It now includes multi-room as well, subject to getting an extra box.

I can see how it all makes less sense for existing customers, of course, but this is just a transition period.

Highlighted
Community Star

@ferguson

You did forget :  Multi-room: To be eligible for our multi-room service you must have, or take, our TalkTalk TV service and have fibre with more than 20mb speeds. Maximum of one TV Plus Box per household. If you already have a TV Plus Box you may only add a TV Box. An engineer installation is mandatory, there is no self-install option. Once added, you’ll get the multi-room Boost until you opt-out (we need 48 hours’ notice) or contract ends" and the £50 installation/equipment charge.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Highlighted
Community Star

@fre55die, no I didn't forget because that is nothing new. But thanks for the input.