Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Pixalation of YouView channels

12 REPLIES
Dfrith
Chatterbox

My Youview box was replaced with a new Huawei DN372T a couple of months ago

after its predecessor failed. Since then I have had intermittent problems with YouView (only) channel pixalation. If I use the tuner in my TV via the YouView box I don't have any problems. Other TVs in the house which use the same external aerial are all fine including those with non-TalkTalk YouView boxes. Any suggestions as to how to resolve or do I have another failed box?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Dfrith

If the signal strength reaching your TV Box is much less than 50% then you'll need to provide a stronger signal by improving the antenna or home antenna signal distribution system.

• Select an off-air TV channel, eg 101
  • In Settings, scroll right and
  • Select TV Signal quality

The signal strength should be at least 50% for reliable reception and the quality 100% or very close. TV's / other TV Boxes may well be more sensitive to weaker signals.

What is the signal strength and signal quality?

I'm assuming that the TV Box is actually tuning in the correct transmitter.  Some areas do have a choice of transmitters. Are there any channels in the 800+ range on the TV Box?

Gondola - I'm a TVPlus customer *
Dfrith
Chatterbox

Thanks Gondola. Signal strength currently 55% and quality 100% but I'm not experiencing pixelation problems right now. I'll check again next time it happens. I'm not using any of the 800 series channels. I never had any similar problems with my previous box which was the same model.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Dfrith

Yes, as you say 55/100 and you should be fine. Get some high pressure weather and you may notice a drop in strength. If the strength does go below 50% then that's when you start noticing pixellation or breakup of picture content.

My personal preference is to design an antenna system to deliver at least 60% strength under normal conditions and then that usually gives sufficient headroom for weather related losses and some transmitter maintenance conditions. You'll need a little bit more to also cope with reduced power antenna maintenance conditions but as these are less frequent than weather related variations that's down to personal choice and of course the strength of signal at your location.

Use digitaluk.co.uk to find out about reception at your address.

Dfrith
Chatterbox

Hi. After a couple of months the pixelation problems have returned again, immediately after I did a factory reset (retain recordings) on the box after it stopped recording or replaying recordings. Those recording problems now seem to be fixed but I'm now getting pixelation on most channels. Signal strength/quality now showing as 55/71% on one of the worst channels. As far as I can tell I haven't changed anything else in the set up. Any suggestions?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Dfrith

I've re-escalated into the OCE workflow and asked if they can take a look at the TV Box for you.

Most pixellation issues are down to the strength and quality of the TV antenna signal. When you gently unplug the antenna lead that goes to the TV Box and plug that straight in to the antenna in or TV aerial in socket of the TV and select TV on the TV's own remote do you get pixellation on any off-air channels?

It's worth considering how the TV signal gets from the antenna (hopefully outdoors above roof level) down to the TV Box.  If there's not a single continuous run of cable and good secure connectors it's prone to signal losses and quality impairments. The antenna and cable do ultimately suffer from corrosion, mechanical failures and water ingress so don't last forever and if they're only just providing an adequate signal then those issues and weather conditions can cause transient reception problems.

This is why you're given the signal strength and quality assessments. But if the TV Box is starting to show faults then that needs to be investigated.  Hang on for an OCE to respond here.

Community Team

Hi

Can you remove the aerial, retune the channels, then connect the aerial and then retune again and see if they still pixellate.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Dfrith
Chatterbox

Hi Karl and thanks. Have done so but no change. Re Gondolas comments all the other TVs in the house use the same external aerial. They are all fine. If I unplug the aerial cable from the Youview box and plug it directly into the TV there is no problem. What Is am seeing are very low and variable signal quality figures of &0 to 90

Dfrith
Chatterbox

That should have been 50 to 90% with signal strength constant at 55%. No obvious problems with external aerial or cabling and no wind at present. This problem appears to have happened immediately after a factory reset. Cheers

Dfrith
Chatterbox
Thanks Gondola. Have replied to Karl OCE.
Community Team

Hi

Can you try a full factory reset from the youview settings menu.  

This will remove recordings and fully reset the box and drive.

If this does not resolve the issue then the box will need to be swapped out.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Dfrith
Chatterbox

Thanks Karl but not at all keen to do that right now. Only a few months since the last box died killing all our recordings and I won't be very popular if I delete all the familys current ones. I'll give it a few days and see what happens. Cheers

JThelp1

Hi DFrith     did you get your problem resolved  ? I have got exactly the same problem as you. Old box packed in for different reasons just received a new box and doing exactly the same as yours. All other tv's in house are fine and TV fine when not used with the box. It does work if connected to the internet via adaptors but I just want freeview ? Interested to know if yours is resloved. Thanks

@Dfrith wrote:

Thanks Karl but not at all keen to do that right now. Only a few months since the last box died killing all our recordings and I won't be very popular if I delete all the familys current ones. I'll give it a few days and see what happens. Cheers