Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Pixelated Freview - not all the time

ANSWERED
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Chatterbox

At the end of Sept my YV box died and was replaced by engineer. During Oct I noticed that sometimes recordings on CH5 SD were heavily pixelated. I reset the YV box and reutuned all channels - things seemed better. On Sat I recorded rugby Scot v SA [1700, BBC2 SD] which I started to watch on Sunday. After 55mins the picture and sound was heavily pixelated and it was unwatchable. Switching out of MyTV to live BBC2 SD was pixelated, HD was OK. If I viewed BBC2SD live on TV - it was OK; also OK if viewed live through HUMAX recorder - BUT through YV it was pixelated.

Aerial goes from wall plate > Humax > YV > TV

I tried aerial lead direct from wall plate > YV - still pixelated

Recorded Flog IT BBC2 SD at the same time on Humax (OK) and on YV (pixelated).

Today BBC2 looks OK on YV, but I can't rely on it staying stable. AAARGH

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

Is BBC2 the only channel affected, do any others pixelate ?

Try a retune with no aerial to clear the box memory then connect the aerial and retune again.

Check the freeview for any issues or maintenance in your region here https://ukfree.tv/maps/live

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Chatterbox

On this occasion it was BBC2, previously it has been Ch5. Today no channel is showing pixelation.

I did check for any transmitter problems at the time and there were none - this is re-inforced by the fact that I was getting good display on this channel on my Humax box and also on direct TV - all of which are on the same aerial loop.

I have re-tuned YV without & with aerial. Following this the signal Strength & Quality for BBC2 SD across my TV devices is as follows -

• Humax (1st on the loop) S=58% Q = 100%
  • YouView (2nd on the loop) S = 35% Q = 78%
  • TV (last on the loop) S = 80% Q = 100%

So why is the YV box so down on strength & Quality ?

Highlighted

Hi

35% is a little on the low side.  

If you disconnect the other devices off the loop temporarily does the signal level increase?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Karl, with a direct connection between the aerial wall plate and the YV aerial IN the BBC2 SD Strength = 32-37% and Quality = 74% - so no significant difference.

And as I mentioned in my previous post the TV comes last in the RF loop yet still shows a high strength & quality

Cheers

Highlighted

Hi

OK, do you want try swapping out the box to see if the tuner is failing.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Yes Please - i definately think the box is suspect as my Humax before it in the RF chain and the TV (after it) both show much stronger signal strength & quality.
How do we go about this swop?
Regards

Highlighted

Hi

The replacement box is on the way to you.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Karl - replacement box arrived and shows improved signal strength on BBC2 SD (the one that was a concern).

So what's the address for returning the old YV box - should there be some sort of label ?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi

Was there no returns bag with the new box ?  if not I can send one to you.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Karl - there is a returns sealable blue plastic bag - just no address label or clue as to where to send it to ! If you can mail the label or address details I'll print it

Regards

Highlighted
Solution

Hi

I'll pop a pre addressed returns bag in the post to you now.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Karl,

I have this pixelation problem on the replacement box you sent me

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Karl,

I have this pixelation problem on the replacement box you sent me. The Box has been great for Netflix (no longer freezing) and all the other HD channels. I have just tried your suggestion of retuning without the aerial and the signal is 60% when I returned either the aerial. I am in the progress of returning my old box.

Kind regards

John

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Karl,

I have this pixelation problem on the replacement box you sent me. The Box has been great for Netflix (no longer freezing) and all the other HD channels. I have just tried your suggestion of retuning without the aerial and the signal is 60% when I retuned with the aerial. I am in the progress of returning my old box.

Kind regards

John