Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Poor Freeview strength

7 REPLIES 7
btt128
Popular Poster

I've just taken delivery of a new TV and finally got this set up. However I'm getting poor signal strength and pixelation on the Huawei box.

Other equipment plugged into the same socket is fine and shows decent strength.

I've tried retuning but it is just the same.

Its showing quality around 45 and strength around 30% (on channel 3) but other equipment shows decent strength.

From what I can tell it isn't possible to do a manual tune, or indeed confirm which multiplex you are even on. If this is not the case, can you advise how to please?

One thing of note is I'm not convinced the box was new. It had marks on the top when it arrived. So I am wondering whether this has already been returned by a customer for the same reason, but on testing it was deemed ok.

Can you advise how you want me to troubleshoot further, or please arrange for a replacement (NEW) box so I can confirm if it is a fault with this box.

Thanks

ferguson
Community Star

Is it only channel 3 (ITV), or are others similarly affected?

btt128
Popular Poster
All of them are to varying degrees.
Even the ones that are watchable aren't perfect.
ferguson
Community Star

OK, and you have a feed directly from a decent rooftop aerial directly into the YouView box? Bear in mind that recent weather conditions have affected reception in certain areas, notably South and Mid Wales along with parts of the West and East Midlands.

btt128
Popular Poster
Hi,
I have a decent aerial that splits to multiple sockets. Few people have a single rooftop aerial for each TV they have.

However, I'm comparing this with other freeeview equipment, which works fine and shows a high signal strength in that socket.
ferguson
Community Star

I am not suggesting you need a separate aerial for each TV/device. I am suggesting that you try a direct connection to your YouView box, if only for testing purposes, they can be more sensitive than other tuners, especially if you are in an area capable of receiving signals from different transmitters. Have you checked that out on Digital UK

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @btt128

One thing which may sort it is to unplug the aerial, YV button on remote > Settings > TV Channels. Then retune, it will show no channels found. Plug aerial back in and do another retune.

It may also be worth trying swapping the aerial lead with one that you know is good as it is not unknown for the leads to be defective and the quality of some are maybe not the best.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
fre55die
Community Star

Hi again @btt128

If I may ask, which transmitter are you using and are you picking up all the channels such as 107 (BBC News HD) and 109 and 110?

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.