cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Power connectors

8 REPLIES 8
Sightseer

My parents, vulnerable 95 year olds, have received their new TV+ box. I have spent ages trying to set it up for them, which I assumed would be a straight swap for the old box, only to find that it appears they need another power connector for the router. They already have one for the old box, which works perfectly well. If the old box needs to be replaced I feel you should provide all the kit to enable the new box to be set up. The old box was set up by a TalkTalk engineer so I would have thought you should know from the account what is required. Please advise.

Community Star

Talktalk seems to send out core essentials,  @janliz, so you do need to ask about some of these other items. 

It is ethically better not to be sending out peripheries - climate change looms large and it is simply wasteful if the items are not needed.

Staff cannot currently identify your account. 

Please complete your community forum profile details. Go via your avatar/name; settings; launch profile wizard; make sure you put in your landline phone number and a fallback mobile phone number; click finish to save.

Enter your parents' details too: return to your avatar/name; settings; where the drop down menu starts with "email", find Personal Information; at the end of that section find Private Notes. Enter your parents' name,  address and landline phone number there. Save changes. 

Staff will be back on Monday and it can take a couple of days for them to catch up with the backlog from the weekend. 

Meanwhile, try Chat 9am-6pm, any day. It is linked from here, but often busy. If shut, the link won't show:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Gliwmaeden2
Please click "like" if this helped you!
Community Star

I am not sure what you mean, it should have just been a case of disconnecting the old box and reconnecting the new one in its place.

Sightseer

That's what I thought, and did, but it wouldn't connect to the router. The old box has 1 connector, as the router is in another room, but the new box set-up instructions show there are 2 power connectors, 1 connected by an ethernet cable to the router and the other as it is now i.e from the box to the power socket in the wall via the ethernet cable. Sorry if I haven't made myself clear but I am not tech minded but I had thought it would be an easy job.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

If the previous box was connected via powerline adapters, just swapping over the box and connecting it to the existing ethernet cables should work.  The existing powerline adapters should still be in place and you connect as follows : 

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Sightseer

Thank you Karl. I too thought I'd be able to easily swap over the 2 boxes using the existing kit but my problem is I appear to be one power connector short. The old box, installed by a Talktalk engineer, has a power connector attached by an ethernet cable but the router DOES NOT have a power connector/ethernet cable attached. Has the set-up arrangement changed since the old box was put in years ago?

Hi

Did the old box work before the new box arrived. There would have always been 2 adapters for the original box to work this way.

If one is not working, or there is only one then we can supply another.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Sightseer

Hi Karl

Apologies for the delay in replying. 

The old box is still working, I reinstalled it after the new box wouldn't work.

As I said before, the old box DEFINITELY only has one connector, there is NO connector/ethernet cable attached to the router, only to the TV/box. This has always been the setup and it has always worked like this.

As you have offered to send a power connector please do so then I will be able to set the new box up for my parents.

Hi

A set of adapters are on the way.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips