Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Problems with TV recordings

4 REPLIES 4
mikekatie
Chatterbox

I have the same problem as others here but need to start my own thread.Me too. Thumbnail, Black screen , no picture but timer moving when trying to watch recordings. Done soft reset and factory reset keeping recordings. Unfortunately complete factory reset isn’t really a solution as we will lose all the series we have recorded. Annoyingly the last time we had reached about 80% full the box stopped working ( in a different way) and we lost the lot .. and here we go again. Anything other than a hard reset would be appreciated but I presume that that will be the only solution.

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @mikekatie

The boxes don't seem to like being full so I should try to keep the free space at about 25% plus if possible. A clear out may work getting the space up to 25% plus then try a maintenance reset. If not I'm afraid a Full Factory Reset will be the next step.

Please keep us informed of the results.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
mikekatie
Chatterbox

I think you are right. Though I notice there are people with the same complaint that say their box isn't full. And wonder at the fact that people seem to notocingvthe problem immediately after what I think was an update - I noticed the guide is different now. 

mikekatie
Chatterbox

Just so you know.  Had to do the full reset. Lost all recordings for the second time. So far working but obviously concerned that a problem could happen at any time again. 

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @mikekatie

I agree with you and personally feel that it should be on the YOUVIEW specifications that there should be a method for, either the HARD drives to be swappable/replaceable by an engineer or, that the data could be transferred to a new machine, thus retaining the useable recordings on to a new drive/machine.

After all it is only a computer and you can do this easily on a "real" computer. Either by plugging in a USB link for just the data or, completely cloning the drive vis ACRONIS, which is probably a better solution as it would include the format of the operating system.

I'm not brave enought to open my Huawei or HUMAX boxes to try it though.

Have you tried suggesting it on the YOU VIEW Community as I know that it has been raised by both BT and TT customers. I'm not sure what make of drives are in the various boxes as Your Huawei has a 300 GB drive whilst the HUMAX T 2000 boxes have 500Gb or 1TB Drives.

The problems/failures of the boxes is often down to the drive so that could be the reason !!!! A 5 minute engineer visit would turn into a 2-3 hour one!!

No doubt licencing comes into it as I have noticed that my newish SONY TV with an external hard drive installed says that it will only work on that TV whilst my slightly older Full HD Sony PVR will let me both Burn DVD's and transfer my recordings to external Seagate, My Book etc Hard drives with no problem.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.