Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Re: £4 Charge for Talktalk TV

41 REPLIES 41
User5000
Participant

I'm a new member to the community but a long term Talktalk customer.

How do you know you won't be charged for tv? Talktalk have not contacted me to say there will be a charge. What is Talktalk tv defined as? Is it the use of a Talktalk box for any television or does it include using subscription free players like. BBC or ITV or does it include using premium players like Now or Netflix.

user5000
hosay299
Insightful One

@User5000 welcome and can i say from what i got told on chat all t/t tv customers get chagred that even new one do not know any yet that have got round it.

Hope that help Joe R If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)
Community Team

Hi

The Charge encompasses TalkTalk TV services.

Emails are being sent to all customers in batches so you may not have received your email yet.

If you do not use the TalkTalk player or subscribe to any Boosts such as the Entertainment or Sports Boost etc you can request the TV option is removed.

Thanks

Karl. 

User5000
Participant

Can someone clarify what the television option is defined as?
I have a Huawei box but I don't believe I have a tv option.

user5000
Community Manager

Hey User5000, 

If you have a TV box then the charge will apply, as mentioned by Karl our emails are going out in batches every day into next week which is why you may not have got your email yet. 

Thanks 

User5000
Participant

How can this be legal. We all agreed a contract that included a service package for a fixed price for a fixed term. Now we are told the package includes tv even though many of us don't use any boosts. We are told that if we don't want to we have to opt out or the price will go up by £4 a month. So either the TVs is a new added extra priced at £4 extra or the fixed price is being increased by £4. Either way it's a change to the contract. 

user5000
ferguson
Community Star

If you have a Fixed Price broadband contract then it remains fixed. It does cover your broadband service only. Any other services such as phone calls, TV etc. are variable. But are optional. I am genuinely at a loss as to what you don't understand.

I8this
Super Duper Contributor

@User5000 

See this thread for a detailed explanation.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Entertainment-News-Humour/100-000s-of-TalkTalk-TV-customers-face...

If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile.
User5000
Participant

@I8this

Thanks for the link which i had read already.

Everyone will form their own view of Talktalk. My view is they have been pretty good till the free sim charges and now this TV charge. I predict that other "Free" services will be next such as the supersafe firewall that they are encouraging everyone to use.

I did not complain previously when I experienced service issues as I felt it was good value and don't depend on daily internet access but, I will now expect the level of service I am paying for and I am unlikely to renew my contract again after many years.

user5000
User5000
Participant

@ferguson 

Thank you.

You have illustrated exactly the point I am making.

We are all being given a TV extra we didn't ask for with the associated cost and we have to contact Talktalk to opt out.

This could have been handled much better by Talktalk. There are significant numbers of people being forced to take action to opt out of a charge that Talktalk have introduced. I expect many of them will feel the same way as I do about this. If this community is representative of Talktalk customers they are clearly not happy about the way this has been done.

user5000
ferguson
Community Star

Not quite. The TV option was always there, it just wasn't chargeable. Now it will be, so TalkTalk are quite rightly notifying customers of the new fee and opt out provision. There was never anything to opt out of previously. 

Birchcroft
Wise Owl

@ferguson wrote:

Not quite. The TV option was always there, it just wasn't chargeable. Now it will be, so TalkTalk are quite rightly notifying customers of the new fee and opt out provision. There was never anything to opt out of previously. 

Not quite a large number of customers did not contact/opt to take the TV option so it was not always there for them.  However, TalkTalk in their infinate wisdom decided to tell them they were going to be charged for a service they did not have or want and for which no contractual basis existed to impose such a charge.

So people without the option should not have been forced to opt out of something they did not have.

ferguson
Community Star

Not quite. The TV service has hitherto not incurred any extra charge, so any issues around that are moot. TalkTalk have now decided, for whatever reason which you may, or may not agree with to introduce a charge. They are notifying all customers. And they are telling them they can opt out.

Patricia55
Wizz Kid

Not quite.
Charging customers for a service that they've never opted for or used, i.e a TV package of any kind, and then telling them they've got to opt OUT of something that doesn't exist on their accounts (otherwise they'll be charged for it) is unbelievable and not unlike a form of blackmail.

I've learnt a lot about TT since joining the forum on 30/12/18..........I say no more.
Birchcroft
Wise Owl

@ferguson wrote:

Not quite. The TV service has hitherto not incurred any extra charge, so any issues around that are moot. TalkTalk have now decided, for whatever reason which you may, or may not agree with to introduce a charge. They are notifying all customers. And they are telling them they can opt out.

Your correct in so far as, that if TalkTalk wish to impose a charge for their TV service they are free to do so regardless of what their customers may think.  That said what you don't appear to be able to understand is that it does not give them the right to unilaterally impose the charge on customers who do not have and are not contracted to have the TV service.  Which the point I and many other community members have been making.  To put it another way you should not have to opt out of paying for a service you do not have.

ferguson
Community Star

Cool. What you don’t appear to be able to understand is that things have changed.

Patricia55
Wizz Kid

Not quite.

TalkTalk has always tried to levy charges of all kinds (read the small print type, usually), so nothing has changed apart from their continually bad service getting even worse!!

I've learnt a lot about TT since joining the forum on 30/12/18..........I say no more.
Birchcroft
Wise Owl

@ferguson wrote:

Cool. What you don’t appear to be able to understand is that things have changed.

How?

It is still not morally or legally correct for a company to charge a customer for a service the company is not contracted to provide and the customer has not explicitly requested.  If it was one could end up being charged for no end of random things just because a company wants to increase its revenue. 

ferguson
Community Star

It was charge free so as I said before the point was previously moot. Many customers will wish to continue with their TV services and will not explicitly request this. They would doubtless be puzzled, or even angry if the service they paid for suddenly ceased.

Patricia55
Wizz Kid

Relevant to those who USE the TV service, yes, but NOT to those who've NEVER used it.

Simple, really, but not to those with tunnel vision, e.g. TalkTalk and one of its customers.