would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Recordings Failure

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @OCE_Karl 

I just thought that I would report that my Huawei box is also failing to record a couple of scheduled FREEVIEW programs erratically.

I have been trying to replicate the problems reported and set CH4 7.00 news to series record, Monday to Thursday recorded fine but, Fridays failed to record.

I am on the Crystal Palace transmitter and haven't managed to replicate it on my Humax boxes.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Fre55die

I have not seen a pattern to this as yet, but the Team at YouView have seen an ibcrease in reports across providers so are looking at this now.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @OCE_Karl 

I can't see any pattern either as I normally wouldn't record the 19.00 CH4 news but, this seems to have been commented on by several posters on here hence my attempts to replicate it.

As I said the problem doesn't seem to be replicated on Humax boxes so I am totally confused. I have however had a few random occasional missed recordings on both terrestial and boost channels on the Humax boxes again no pattern and not usually part of a series record.

To date in the week I have been trying it on the Huawei box only Fridays News failed, the Humax did record all.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Highlighted

Hi

It's a strange one thats for sure.  No pattern to it that I can see either.  

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Community Star

@OCE_Karl 

I spoke too soon, the Humax failed to record a program on Nat Geo this afternoon which is part of a series.

Highlighted

Hi

YouView did say they had seen this happen with other boxes.

Karl

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Well, it's not totally erratic and there is a pattern in as much as I set up my replacement box identically to the previous one and I get pretty much the same failures.  Having 90%+ the same failures on two boxes would seem to indicate that the problem should/could be reproducible. 

@fre55die, maybe, if possible, you could try setting up your TT box the same as mine to see, or at least as similar as possible.

Settings I've changed from the defaults are:

Picture & Sound - HDMI Display: 1080p,   HDMI Sound: Surround

Recordings - Auto Delete: On, Confirm Delete: On

Power & Standby - Start Deep Sleep: 3AM,   End Deep Sleep: 4PM

Appearance - Channel Logos: Off

I have 21 channels hidden, being all the shopping channels, all the children's channels, TBN (65), TCC (77) and 100.

Now, as far as scheduled recordings, I have quite a few and I suspect (just a feeling, no hard evidence) that the number and/or combination of these is a factor, and I've been trying changing them to see if it is, although playing 20 questions with them is kinda slow, as you have to wait 24 hours to see if a change had any effect.....

The scheduled recordings I currently have set up are as follows.  All are on SD channels and all are set to Record Series.

Daily:

09:00 Horror (70), Star Trek Voyager

10:00 Horror (70), Star Trek The Original Series

12:15 BBC2 (2), Politics Live (11:15 on Wednesdays)

18:00 BBC2 (2), Richard Osman's House of Games

19:00 Ch4 (4), Channel 4 News

22:00 5 USA (21), Law & Order Special Victims Unit (series includes 23:00 episodes too)

Weekly:

Thu 21:00 5 USA (21), Law & Order Special Victims Unit (different series to daily one)

Thu 21:00 Sky (233), The Pledge

Thu 22:35 BBC1 (1), Question Time

Fri 19:45 BBC News (231), Newswatch

Fri 22:00 Ch4 (4), The Last Leg

Sat 11:30 BBC News (231), Dateline London

Sat 19:45 BBC1 (1), Pointless Celebraties

Sun 08:30 Sky (233), Sophy Ridge on Sunday

Sun 09:00 BBC1 (1), Andrew Marr

Sun 21:00 Ch4 (4), Homeland

Sun 23:00 E4 (13) Star Trek Discovery

Mon 20:00 BBC2 (2) Only Connect

Mon 20:00 BBC2 (2) University Challenge

With the above setup I get pretty regular, at least 80% of the time, Failed to record for Channel 4 News and other frequent albeit less "reliable" failures.  Maybe if you can also set it up the same way, at least as much as doesn't clash with your existing setup, we can see if you get "reliable" failures too.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @mc2tt 

Mine is set up : Auto delete off

Auto Standby : 12hours

Standby mode : one box is on Always Ready and another SMART with Deep Sleep 2AM to 6AM

I don't have the space to set up your recordings and they would clash with a lot of the shows in my schedules.

The only fails that I have had on the Huawei Box (ch4 news) are Fri 21/2 failed to record and Mon 23/2 last night 5Sec only recorded.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Matter of interest, was your 5 seconds only last night a case if it looked ok in the list but it just had 5 seconds, or did it say "Partially Recorded"?

(I've had both, although last night Ch4 News "Failed to record" on one box but recorded ok on the other.)

Well, ok re space & clashes, I understand, but if you can set up as many as you can it might help us figure out what's provoking these failed recordings. (And of course you can delete any recordings you're not actually interested in 🙂

As I say, just me playing 20 questions with it is kinda slow, so the more people we have experimenting with what might be provoking these failed recordings the better.  Maybe others with similar problems can join in too? 

@scooper1401 @Aggisander @cstrundley @BluePig70 @novelty @jaimew22 @Bitter1 @Coling3 @cglover2 @Sjwmessage 

Highlighted
First Timer

My box seemed to just catastrophically fail last Wednesday. Recording 7.30-8 appeared OK, but wouldn't play. Recording 8-9 failed, as did all subsequent scheduled recordings. I then checked older recordings and found I just got the time bar at the bottom stuck on 0.00 and a blank screen. I also lost access to boost channels and couldn't record live TV. A hard factory reset solved all the issues - I obviously lost all recordings, but they weren't available to me anyway! Recordings are fine from last night and today. Maybe a corrupted software update?

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hopefully that's worked for you, but I had similar a while back, including the time bar at the bottom stuck on 0.00 and a blank screen on existing recordings, and did a hard reset, and it helped but some recordings then continued to fail, so only time will tell for you 🙂

Highlighted
Community Star

@mc2tt 

It showed up as recorded and only on opening did I discover only 5 secs had recorded.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I am on my 3rd box now and it is the same. Since Sunday lost in Halifax failed to record, Only Connect and Inside No. 9 recorded ok,  episode 1 of the new ITV drama recorded ok, episode 2 only 3 seconds recorded flagged partially recorded. My Panasonic recorded all with no problems. The Panasonic recorder is Freeview HD but not Youview, could that be a clue?

Kind regards, Chris.

Highlighted

Hi

We have seen this issue across other models of youview box, such as Humax etc.  The teams over at youview are looking at this issue to see if there are any commonalities across these issues.

Thanks

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Chat Champion

@OCE_Karl wrote:

The teams over at youview are looking at this issue to see if there are any commonalities across these issues.

@OCE_Karl, noted but what YouView say they are investigating is "an issue with very short recordings on TalkTalk devices".  https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/7605726/talktalk-dn372t-failed-recordings , see first reply by Sarah.

That may be just a misunderstanding by that member of YouView staff, but could you please ask your devices team to ensure that YouView understands that the issues being reported aren't just very short recordings but are also and mainly Failed to Record altogether.

Thanks 🙂

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @mc2tt  @novelty @Aggisander 

This is the one of the main reasons that you must report AND update all related incidents and problems on you own individual posts. This will mean the OCE's to easily track problems like this and report them to the relevant departments such as YouView. Obviously you may add your findings to other posts BUT, the updates etc. also need to be on your own post as well.

You need to include your main phone number on your profile so that they can tie up your screen name with your account, only you and the OCE's may access this info. they can then remotely access and interrogate your  TT box or other TT supplied items such as routers etc. to search for any faults or problems.

They will not be able to gather this information if you just add it to somebody elses post.