Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Removal of TV Boosts

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Team Player

In August i took out an 18 month contract with talk talk on the basis of the tv boosts, I do not want NOW tv as it is not recordable and i would lose the alibi and watch channels. I have now received an email stating that the tv boosts will be withdrawn next year although not stating when. This means that one of the main reasons i renewed will now not apply. If i had knows this i would not have taken out the contract but would have gone with BT who do at least allow you to record the NOW tv channels

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

No firm date has been given for the removal of the boosts, only that it will be next year.

Streaming services such as Now TV, Amazon prime etc, offer some great content as well as access to some of the best on demand content available, from movies to Box sets.

We have excellent offers for Now TV available via My Account, and these services can be watched on multiple devices and on the go.  With the TV boost you are limited to watch through the YouView box, but with Now TV, many other devices can be used around the home to watch content.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Team Player

However NOW TV does not include all of the channels in the Entertainment Boost e.g. Alibi and Watch and does not provide the ability to record any of the NOW TV channels which was a major factor in renewing the contract. This discussion took place with your sales person at the time who made no mention of the service being replaced during the contract period. If i had known this i would not have renewed

Highlighted

Hi

There may be channels available that are not currently available over youview, for example Sky Atlantic.

this has some great shows and premiers.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
First Timer

I agree with Jukn1. Very disappointing at the loss of channels such as Alibi, I didn't realise this. Also particularly disappointed at not being able to record Now TV. Please confirm what channels will be available under the new entertainment package. 

Highlighted
Team Player

But it still does not allow for recording these channels, and not everything is on catch up which is not as convenient

Highlighted

Hi

You can view all the channels available at www.nowtv.com

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Team Player

I cannot help but wonder how many of your customers realise what they are losing with this change? It certainly wasn't clear from the email I received until I started to do some digging

Highlighted
First Timer

Again I agree. I almost fell into the trap of thinking it was a good deal until I saw Junk1's post. Why not come clean with your customers and tell them exactly what they are getting with the new package so they can see what they are losing and make the decision whether to stay with you.

Highlighted
Community Star

TalkTalk have clearly made a business decision to move away from directly providing subscription channels. NOW TV is a good alternative in some respects, but does not allow recording which will be disappointing for those who value this feature. The benefits include the ability to watch on multiple devices including when you are away from home.

BT have TV packages which have recording of NOW TV, but these only include the same channels and are generally priced much higher e.g. £12 a month for Entertainment and are also subject to a minimum 24 month contract.

As ever, you need to look at what is the best choice to suit your own viewing habits. 

Highlighted
Problem Solver

TalkTalk's latest annual report says:

"Our focus on core connectivity has seen us continue to sell our non-core products, such as mobile and TV, in a capital-light way."

TalkTalk's business model is built around selling fibre connectivity to consumers and business.

Mobile and TV are "non-core" and "capital-light" which means TalkTalk don't want to invest significant money in them.  Instead, mobile is a skinny re-sell of O2 and TV more of a way of getting Now TV / Prime / Netflix.

That means there's change along the way.  As @ferguson says, this isn't necessarily a bad thing.  There are some improvements and some detriments to the re-focused products.  They will suit some people and, regrettably, not others.

TalkTalk tend to promote the advantages and stay quieter about the disadvantages but then that's the way pretty much all companies behave.

Highlighted
Team Player

I am annoyed that when I renewed two months ago this was not made clear to me then, and the change has been put forward after I took out the renewal, which I would not have done had I known that I was going to lose the recording feature which is important to us. Looking at the terms and conditions closely it would appear that paragraph 16 does now give us the option to cancel and change. Also consumer protection laws tell us that the original offering formed part of our contract. It is sad that we have been with talktalk for some 16 years or more and it has now come to this due to a lack of honesty at renewal. I would also point out that although bt offer the same channels they do offer the ability to record them

Highlighted
Problem Solver
Yes, quite understandable in your position.

As you've no doubt seen your right to cancel depends on the existence of "material detriment".

If TalkTalk stopped supplying broadband completely to you, clearly that would be "material detriment". If they removed the Yesterday channel and replaced it with the History, channel then probably not.

Is, removing the ability to record Sky Sports channels of "material detriment"? Well, maybe, looks like it depends on the individual.

You may want to make it clear, in some recordable form, to TalkTalk that you are experiencing "material detriment" as a result of the change and see if they are happy to end the contract on that basis. You may need to move a way up the complaints chain (to the CEO Office maybe) for the issue to be resolved.

I doubt TalkTalk want to be seen allowing contracts to be routinely terminated on the basis of changes made to the TV service.
Highlighted
Community Star

@jukn1 You have not yet lost the recording feature and there is no precise date for when the Boost channels will be withdrawn entirely.

Ofcom regulations regarding the right to early termination without any cancellation fees only extends to the "core package" on any long term contract i.e. Broadband and line rental. TV and other Boosts which can be cancelled at 30 days' notice have never been a part of this, nor has the existence, absence or change in any ancillary services. 

Highlighted
Team Player

I will pursue this via the CEO as consumer protection gives clear guidance on terms of contract and what is promised when contracts are signed. Fortunately this was raised with CEO when the contract was up for renewal as TalkTalk had wrongly classified us as a silver address

Highlighted
Community Star

Best of luck. 

Highlighted
Team Player

I guess the other option is to cancel the TV and Entertainment Boost and change these to a different supplier. I just can't understand why Talk Talk are making this change, which loses the recording feature which is really important to us, and why it was not made clear that NOW tv wasn't just an option but the planned replacement, when this wasn't how it was shown on the website or via the call centre. Surely if BT can negotiate with NOW the recording option then TalkTalk could as well????

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

If I subscribe to Now TV, will the channels appear in the main EPG like the boost channels do, or will I have to go to the Now TV app?

Also what is the current price for the Entertainment Boost and what is this increasing to from November?

Highlighted
Problem Solver
Now TV channels don't appear in the TalkTalk EPG. You can watch them using the Now TV app on the YouView box or on many other supported devices. https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv

For me, the Entertainment Boost is showing as £12 a month now with a £2 a month price increase from November.

The Now TV Entertainment pass is available via TalkTalk for £5.99 a month for up to 12 months. Its channels are similar but not the same as the TalkTalk Entertainment Boost. The big plus for many of the Now TV option is the inclusion of Sky Atlantic, but it's a matter of choice as to which is better!
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

In terms of detriment apart from not being able to record from NOWTV be aware that channels viewed on NOWTV will not support subtitles when viewed through the TalkTalk (Youview) box. This is a critical factor for me. See

Subtitles are available on all supported devicesexcept for the BT TV Box and YouView box.