cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Replacement new DN372T box faulty fresh out of box 2/7/19.

ANSWERED
26 REPLIES 26
Popular Poster

Went through set up, did channel tune. First channel to show was channel 1 - BBC1. Picture showed linear disturbance lines. Checked signal strength which was normal but quality was only 70% v/s 100% quality with my old box. Checked channel 25, picture good, no disturbance, quality was 100%. Checked Channel 231 BBC News, same problem as with BBC1 and same low signal quality. Retuned channels and problem disappeared. Signal quality 100% throughout after the retune.

Again this morning on switching  box on to BBC1 linear interference on BBC1, signal quality varying around 70% mark. Immediately checked channel 25 (Yesterday UKTV) picture good and signal quality 100%. Did channel retune and same poor results (interference +   low signal quality) on channel 1 (BBC1) and so did 2nd channel retune. Problem was fixed.

Can someone pls educate me as to what is going wrong or what I am doing wrong and what I need to do to fix the problem. Never had this particular problem with my old box which was also a DN372T but  version 01. Latest box is version  03. Can't carry on having to do a channel retune every time I switch on my TV box. Lastly please do not mention aerial problems because it is the same aerial as used on old box without problems of interference and a faulty aerial would not give 100% signal quality on channel 25 but only 70% on BBC.

In case you ask then the old box was returned because of extremely long start up times and eventually refusing to start. The new box started immediately but the suffered from problems outlined above. Help needed please.

Gary Baldy
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

There is currently a band of high pressure affecting parts of the UK this week and this will cause issues with freeview channels.  

If you look at some of the freeview websites they do advise not to retune but to wait for this to pass.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/news

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/set-up/how-to-improve-your-signal#part-4

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Popular Poster

Hi Karl, Repeated the test again this am. Problem still the same at start up with channels 1,2,3,4,5 et al. Channel 25, as previous, showed 100% signal quality in settings.

I checked out your provided links. The atmospheric conditions explanation is a cop out. When I did the test this am I experienced the stated problem with BBC1 etc BUT after leaving the box on for 5 minutes and NOT doing channel retune the problem disappeared. In ALL cases where there has been a problem of line distortion it was at start up. This to my mind implies there is a problem with the box or some glich in software that is interfering with some channels during initial loading at start up. I would not expect atmospheric conditions to be so carefully synchronised as to coincide with problems that present for 5 minutes at start up unless some all seeing power is at work with the fundaments.

When I look further into the matter on your links I am told to do a manual retune to solve problem of interference. I would if I could but the DN372T does not facilitate manual retune - only automatic channel retune  available. This used to available on the old freeview boxes so we appear to be going backwards.

I suspect that my new replacement DN372T ver 03 is faulty but only at start up. I was looking to you to be able to say whether or not this is already a known problem and what to do about it - if my box does not have a manual tune then clearly I cannot use this option so there is no point in suggesting it in the first place.

Gary Baldy

Hi

You are correct, there is no manual Tune option currently on the DN372 box.

I've found that the tuner retains information even when the box has been factory reset.  to get around this I usually remove the aerial from the box.  Retune, no channels will be found.

Connect the aerial and retune again.  If this does not work then I need to get a replacement box out to you.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Popular Poster

Hi Karl, Will do this quick sharp and report back. I suggested this idea to customer services on the phone at the first sign of the problem but they discounted it - this used to be one solution on old freeview boxes. Thanx for your quick reply.

Gary Baldy

No Problem 🙂

I'll await your reply.

Karl 

Working From Home Tips

Popular Poster

Hi Karl, Completed both aerial out and aerial in retunes WITHOUT switching box off. Checked BBC 1 signal quality in settings and it is at 100%.

Will report back tomorrow am after the box has been in deep sleep mode and is again put through start up when the issue has previously been experienced.

Gary Baldy

No Problem 🙂

Let me know how you get on, and if it still fails then I can order a box.

Karl 

Working From Home Tips

Popular Poster

Hi Karl,

Reporting back on Friday 5/7 am trial after start up from deep sleep overnight. Same problem of linear pixelated image and sound distortion on progs 1-10, (BBC & ITV channels). Clear on 12, 25 & 37.  231 BBC news, 232 BBC, 233 Sky also faulty. Did signal qual check on affected channels and varying around 70% mark (usually get 100% after say 10 mins from start up).

After approx. 10 mins checking programs and signal quality box settled down. Sig qual check on BBC1 gave 100% and no sound distortion. One further thing to mention - when I went into guide during the 10 min start up period the guide image was not distorted.

Other than this start up problem the box is OK and I am loathe to let go of what could be a good box particularly after the horrendous problems I had with the old box I just returned. Is it not possible to do an on-line tweek at your end to correct it pls?

Thank you for your continued vigil on this issue. Rgds

Gary Baldy
Popular Poster

One further question. What would happen to a recorded programme on  affected BBC channels if the scheduling of recording was the same as time of  start up? Would the playback also suffer from pixelation and sound distortion issue?

Gary Baldy

Hi

I would expect the recording to also pixellate at start up, but the only way to be 100% sure is to try setting a test recording.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Popular Poster

Hi Karl, Any more thoughts on where to go from here with this TV box regarding original post on start up issue?

Gary Baldy

Hi

You can try a Youview Maintenance Reset (Option 2: Keep Recordings).

Please note any future scheduled recordings will be lost and will have to be rescheduled.

Set the box back up and see if this clear the start up issue.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Popular Poster

Will do.

Gary Baldy
Popular Poster

Hi Karl, Have completed the youview box reset option 2 as requested. BBC1 is normal after  channel upload. Will test again tomorrow am when box has been in deep sleep mode overnight. This should duplicate conditions during which issue on start up has been happening. Rgds.

Gary Baldy

Ok,  Will be interesting to see what happens.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

Popular Poster

Hi Karl, Regret to report that aforementioned problem was just as bad as ever after start up from deep sleep today am. It took approx. 25 mins for the pixelation to disappear today. Additionally the box froze the screen last night after a program had been paused and could not be restarted via the remote forcing a switch off and switch on.

I am finally convinced this box is delinquent and needs to be replaced per your earlier suggestion. Can I pls take up your offer without further ado? Rgds.

Gary Baldy

Hi

Replacement on the way.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Popular Poster
Hi Karl, Will keep you posted. Thanks for a your perseverance a this issue. Look forward to receiving and testing replacement box.Regards
Gary Baldy
Solution

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Working From Home Tips