Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sky Sports & IPTV quality

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Team Player

Hello, I have had the Sky Sports package for some time and although it generally was ok, recently there was some ‘blocking’ of the picture that I see others describe in similar posts. I was able to fix this by updating the power line connectors to the newest ones (with WiFi) and can get 30+ mb constantly so they are working well (and immediately resolved the blocking).

The issue that I currently have is that the actual resolution on the screen isn’t very sharp. It’s notable lower quality than any of the freeview channels. I’ve attached pictures to show Sky Sports news.

Is there anyway to improve this? It’s only on the IPTV channels.

Thanks,

Margamillion

A37B6145-5763-4318-8CD9-F5A6527120F2.jpeg

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @margamillion 

Try changing the sockets that the PLA's are plugged in to, reset and Re-Pair The Adapters. They must be plugged DIRECTLY into a socket not using an extension lead or adapter.

If you try directly connecting the TTbox to the router by a long ethernet cable temporarily does that improve it ?

The freeview channels are by aerial not the PLA's so one would expect a better picture.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Highlighted
Community Star

@margamillion 

PLA's are notorious for causing problems as the IPTV channels need a constant uninterupted power supply and PLA's have a habit of dropping packets of data.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks Fre55die,

I’ve reset as you suggested, but it’s much the same, unfortunately.

The PLAs are plugged into the wall sockets directly, but I can’t plug an Ethernet cable into the box directly so can’t test that (without moving the TV).

Thanks,

Margamillion

Highlighted
Problem Solver

If you're getting the picture freezing or breaking up then there are things you can do to try to stop this happening.  Playing with the powerline adapters as @fre55die suggested is always good.

If you have a "stable" picture then it is what it is.  Improving your connection won't help it, it's a fixed rate stream, not like iPlayer, Netflix etc where a better speed can get you a better quality picture.

It's an SD stream so resolution won't be as good as HD.  On a big TV or close-up you're going to see the limitations of SD.  That said, I think Sky Sports on TalkTalk is a better picture than you get on Freeview SD (fewer compression artefacts), but not as good as Freeview HD, that's subjective of course.

For HD Sky Sports, Now TV is an alternative but you'll need another bit of hardware to get that on the TV as it doesn't come through the YouView box.  Also, it's not recordable as the TalkTalk offering is.  Some Now TV streams have a lower number of "frames per second" than TalkTalk too, another variable in the "picture quality" debate...

Good luck!