Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sky Sports and BT Sports boost channels breaking up

15 REPLIES
bearpeje
Wizz Kid

Today, the problem has been the worst ever, hence this post....

I have TP LInk connectors from my router to my TT box, and normally do not have a problem.

However, ironically, now it's half time in Man C v Bristol C, it is fine ! For the first 45 mins, the picture and sound was breaking up every minute or so.

Is there any chance of a resolution to this problem, or perhaps a wireless option ?

Sports boosts are not cheap, but if they are not watchable ?

Community Team

Hi

There is no official wireless option at the moment, but I do use my box via wifi with no issues.

I use a TP link wr702n nano router as an access point.  There are later models of this router as I've had this setup for a few years.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

bearpeje
Wizz Kid

Thanks Karl.

I can find an 802 model of the same, but can you explain please ? Are you saying that connecting it to the TalkTalk YV Box, means that you can then connect wirelessly to my TalkTalk Router ? and that the connection will then be as powerful, to watch Sky Sports and BT Sports channels ?

I currently use two TP Link plugs, that are very good most of the time, but do seem prone to the endless break up I describe.

I wonder if the Youview box would work with the mini wireless box that works with Sky Boxes without the internal wireless function ?

Any views appreciated, Thanks.

Community Team

Hi

The 802 is the later version, I'm sure there is now also a version that supports 5ghz as well.

For mine, the nano router is usb powered so I take the power from the USB port at the back of the youview box.  When the router is configured to act as an access point, it connects wirelessly to the router, then delivers the received signal to the youview box via the ethernet port, so I have a small ethernat cable about a foot long that goes from the router to the port on the back of the YouView box.

Setup was initially a pain as in typical bloke fashion, I did not bother reading the instructions that came with the router :)

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

bearpeje
Wizz Kid

Hi Karl

That sounds a much better option than the plugs, but I am not tecky. You mention "Supports 5Ghz" Is there a figure required to carry the Sports Boost channels, so as to eliminate my break up problems with my current set up ?

bearpeje
Wizz Kid

Hi again Karl

Wow ! I have searched for 'Nano Router' and there are Soooo many different types. Would it not be an idea for TalkTalk to recommend some that are known to work with the Youview Boxes, and can handle Boost channels etc ?

They must have considered the issue, because I seem to remember I only got the TP Link plug Ins, as they were recommended by TT. That was a few years back when I first got the box, and it is only now, whilst checking various threads, that I see the plug Ins are not to be used for Boost channels !

I think I will try to get the model you suggest, as you say it works, unless you know the recent model you mention with the 5Ghz ?

Community Team

Hi

There are only 2 wifi frequencies, 2.4ghz and 5ghz.  Newer devices support both, so the newer routers can use one or the other, mine is older so only uses the 2,4ghz.

5Ghz is better as it has a bigger range, but my TV box is upstairs, and the router is downstairs and it works ok.

Thanks

Karl. 

bearpeje
Wizz Kid

Hi Karl, Thanks again for your advice.

I have ordered the TP link 802 model ( About £18 ), and I will come back to report on the results.

Community Team

Hi

OK, just remember to read the set up instructions.  Also, I think there may be some youtube vids for setting up these routers, the process should be the same across the 702 / 802.

Thanks

Karl. 

bearpeje
Wizz Kid

Hi Karl

I was very pleased with myself, but I think I have C**ked something up :-(

I followed the instructions to set up 'Client', I remembered to alter the IP address to end 1.254 from 0.254.

I then did a manual set up on the YV box for Broadband Connection, and entered the following that I found on one of your earlier posts.

IP address 192.168.1.100

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Default gateway 192.168.1.1

DNS 8.8.8.8

Now, that worked perfectly, and all my boost channels are working.

However, I then went back to my laptop, and it had lost wireless connection to the same router, that the nano router was now connected to.

Windows network diagnostics could not resolve, saying various things like it couldn't find IP address for website, or that a function was missing.

I unplugged the nano router from the YV box, but only after a restart, has my laptop reconnected to the router.

I have posted this, and will then plug the nano router in again.

So, I may have to do that all again, before I read your reply, but any suggestions gratefully received ?

bearpeje
Wizz Kid

Hi again Karl

I am pretty sure that there is a conflict of IP addresses, because with my laptop connected, entering the same manual set up details on the Youview box settings, now says that it cannot connect.

Community Team

Hi

I don't have the manual config in the youview box, left mine to auto.

If like me you had the laptop connected to the nano router and manually set the IP of the laptop to connect, when all is done and laptop disconnected, dont forget to set the IP back to dynamic etc and then reboot.

Thanks

Karl. 

bearpeje
Wizz Kid

Hi Karl

I am afriad that I do not understand what you mean about setting IP of laptop. I did plug the nano into the laptop, but I then had access to the TP Link page and thought I was setting the nano router's IP.

I had no idea I was changing anything on my laptop, and don't know what you mean about 'Dynamic'.

Sorry.

bearpeje
Wizz Kid

Hi Karl

OK, so here's the latest. I Reset the nano router, and started again. Plugged it into my laptop, where it appeared as a wireless connection in my list. The Web link in the instructions would not detect the nano router, So, I again disconnected the laptop from my home router. 

When I then clicked on the nano router in my connections list, a TP link webpage did open, and once I entered 'admin' twice, I was in the set up page.

As I said before, I changed the  one ending .0.254 to.1.254 as I saw in the thread, and rebooted the nano and finished.

This time, I then plugged in to the YV box, and tried the AUTO in Broadband connection in Settings. It fails to connect to my home router, but all the time the nano is plugged in to my YV box, my laptop will not connect to my home router.

I haven't tried again with the YV box using the manual settings. I was sure that those settings were on one of your posts some years ago in an 11 page thread on the subject, but sorry if not.

In any event, it seems that I need to get around this IP address issue, but am at a loss to know how ?

bearpeje
Wizz Kid

Karl,

In case you hadn't realised, I AM AN IDIOT !

The problem became obvious, when I tried the FAQs on the TP Link site, and found that Client Set Up from a PC/Laptop must be done in wireless mode, whereas I was connecting by ethernet cable Nano to Laptop.

So, just plugged USB power into Nano. Disconnected Laptop from Home router, and Nano showed up on Network list. Connected, and then followed set up as per instructions, and then rebooted Nano.

Plugged Nano into YV box, and Auto Connected via Broadband Connection in YV Settings.

Confirmed connected, and all Boost channels work.

So far, haven't watched for more than a few minutes, and No Glitches

Clapping

You are Officially a Genius :-)   THANK YOU KARL !!!!!!!!!!

Community Team

Hi

Glad its working for you.  

I don't have issues with mine very often, but I have 2 wireless routers for extended coverage, and a whole lot of wifi devices, and my neighbours also have wifi, so every few weeks if there is any interference, I just log into the router and change the wifi channel, but apart from that it works fine.

Glad to hear you have sorted things out at your end.

Regards,

Karl.