cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Sky sports boosts not working after factory resetting box

14 REPLIES
Jlucius94
Sightseer

Hi 

so my box would not turn on and I followed advice in the forum to perform a factory reset.

got my box working but now I do not have the sky boost I am paying for.

the green lights are all showing on my power line adaptors, and each time I search for channel 402 it says it does not exist.

Also my WiFi speed has dropped considerably over the past week.

These are 2 separate issues but I need help with both please.

thank you in advance

james

Jlucius94
Sightseer

...additionally, the talk talk button on muni remote does not bring anything up, only the youview button works

Jlucius94
Sightseer
Community Team

Hi James

I've had a look at the connection, router is in sync at 18.4mb so speeds are fine.

I've tested the MSAN config and that is passing so I dont' suspect that at this point.

I've just updated the firmware for your router to see if this will help.

I'm unable to see any discovery logs from the TV box after 1st Jan, and I'm only showing one device connected to the router.

As you are using powerline adapters, are these direct into wall sockets ?

Do you have any wired devices such as a laptop or console you can connect to the powerlines and see if that connects, just to make sure there is a physical connection via the adapters, or if possible are you able to connect the TV box direct to the router with a cable to see if this can then go online, use on demand players etc.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Jlucius94
Sightseer

HI Carl,

i am having no problems with the internet connection to the box as the apps work fine.

I am unable to view sky sports which is my only issue.

When I select the talk talk button on my remote to try and my boosts and it does not work.

is this a problem with the box itself?

thanks 

James

Community Team

Hi

Are you able to connect the box direct to the router with a cable and see if this shows the channels ?

Also, from the youview settings menu, can you select the option to check for a software update and see if this will connect and check for any updates.

Whilst looking at the router remotely I cannot see the TV box connected, I can only see one device connected.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Jlucius94
Sightseer
Hi Carl,

I am unable to connect the box direct to my router due to the positioning and fixtures of everything in my living room and I do not have a spare tv to do this either.

I will check for an update on the box tonight, although I updated my box around 2 weeks ago. Also on the router there should be several devices that have been connected, including phones, laptops and my console, moreso the tv box as I have already checked that it is connected to the WiFi before raising this post.

Thank you
Community Team

Hi

I can see previous devices have been connected but only one device currently connected.  I cannot see any discovery logs from the TV box.

When you say the box is connected to the wifi I'm assuming you mean the box is connected via a cable to the powerline adapter.

Are the adapters direct into wall sockets, not in any extension blocks ?  Are you able to test the adapters in any other wall sockets ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Jlucius94
Sightseer
Hi Carl,

Yes the box is connected to the WiFi via the power line adaptors.

I can use the Netflix and other on demand apps because the internet connection is fine to my box itself. Hence why I am confused sky sports does not come up anymore.

One adaptor is connected to the mains supply, the other adaptor into the tv box is connected to an extension block as the cable supplied was not long enough for to connect to my box from the actual wall socket.

This has never caused me any problems before which is why I do not believe it is the case that my sky sports stopped working because of this, especially because the connection to the internet for the apps still works.

Surely there is an issue with the box itself since the talk talk button on my remote no longer brings up anything on the box.
Furthermore that this problem only occurred since the box had to be factory reset due to it destabilising and failing to turn on?

I can try the box from a power line connected to the mains socket directly, but I do not believe this is the issue because of the access to the apps as explained above.

Please can you explain why this will be different if you believe it is the case?

Thank you
Community Team

Hi

IPTV services - basically subscription channels use a protocol knows as IGMP.  This traffic is different to the usual Internet traffic and if this is failing to pass across your home network, then the channels will not work, but other internet traffic and streaming services will.  

The Streaming apps on the TV box will use general internet protocols so these will work, just as streaming from any of the apps on your phone or PC.

If a router is starting to fail and is not processing the TV data correctly, this can also stop the TV services working, but general internet connectivity could still work.

Also, streaming apps on the box need about 2mb, but the subscription channels will require more, usually above 5mb.  Having the adapter in an extension block may reduce the speeds between the adapters so this could also affect the reception.  If you have other devices plugged into the extension block, or if the internal wires are loose, or resistance has increased due to wear and tear etc this could also be reducing the speeds.

Now I'm not saying all of these factors are affecting your connection, but as you can see, there are many scenarios that can take place and impact the services so this is why I will look to test different methods of connection to rule these out.  If we can cover the basics and try to pinpoint where the problem is, then we can tackle the issue.  I've no problem replacing any or all of your equipment, but I want to be confident that any piece of equipment I replace is going to help.

Thanks

Karl. 

Jlucius94
Sightseer
Thanks for that Karl,

I will try when I get home.

Community Team

Cool.  Have a play round with things when you can, try a few configurations and let me know and we can take it from there. 🙂

Karl 

ferguson
Community Star

Just to add you can pick up ethernet cables at various lengths easily and cheaply online, or in a variety of high street stores. Not a convenient long-term solution of course, but at least you can use that temporarily for testing directly between the box and router.

Jlucius94
Sightseer

Hi Karl,

just st an update that on Tuesday my box came on asking to update and since then the boosts have been working fine again.

Not sure if this was something random or what you did at your end but thank you anyway for your help.

Thanks

James

Community Team

Hi James

Glad to hear this is working for you now.

Thanks

Karl.