cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Sky sports unwatchable

ANSWERED
20 REPLIES
Highlighted
Tim5230
Team Player

When I joined TalkTalk in July this year, the supplied HG633 router was constantly dropping its connection but my orignal SKY SR102 router was stable on the Talktalk fibre connection. I was sent a new DSL3782 router to try which seemed to have sorted the problem.

However having started to watch the football season on Sky Sports, I am now getting a blank screen which occurs on all subscribed channels when the router drops its connection and this does not recover without performing a power off - this needs both the Youview box and the router to be turned off. I went on holiday for a week and all the sky sports recordings failed. I have been sent a replacement youview box but this is doing the same thing.

I was orginally on the 76Mbps connection but the router was only synching between 47 and 52Mbps so have dropped the boost - it is now synching at 39999Mbps. The Youview box is cabled directly to the router. 

The other (separate?) issue I am having is Sky Sports becomes unwatchable when someone else in the house is streaming Netflix on an iPad. I get the IPC6023 error message.  Surely a 40Mpbs download (when it is working!) can support both feeds?  

If the Youview box and router needs to be rebooted every time the router drops its connection, this makes Sky Sports completely impractical. I never had this problem with my previous SKY broadband as Netflix on an iPad via WiFi was fine. 

This all points to a connection problem at the exchange as the phone line is clear. 

Any help would be appreciated.  

Thanks 

Community Team

Hi

I'm detecting an increase of errors on your line.

Can you check the home phone and confirm if you have a clear dial tone or any noise on the line.

Thanks

Karl. 

Tim5230
Team Player

Karl,

Thanks for for getting back to me. 

There is no crackling sound on the line but the dial tone doesn't seem that clear if that makes sense.

For info I have a filtered faceplate where the cable comes into the house. 

The router has now dropped its synch rate to 37.2Mbps and has been up for 21 hours.

Community Team

Hi

I've raised this to our network teams for investigation.

Thanks

Karl. 

Tim5230
Team Player

Hi Karl,

Has there been any progress on this and where should I expect help from? 

I am unsure how this community website interfaces with the call centres? I've had a new router and youview box but clearly the fault lies with the errors you were detecting.

When I ring the call centre to get an update, they keep taking me through the same basic router tests. When I have been transferred to "fault management" I just get left hanging on the phone for half an hour or more - as I am writing this, I have been on the same call for 44mins and this is at 10:10am on a weekday which I would have thought is not that heavy traffic??

My router synch is now down to 29Mpbs and kept disconnecting last night - it has been up for 4 hours... 

Community Team

Hi

I'll chase this with our network teams.

Thanks

Karl. 

Tim5230
Team Player

Hi Karl,

Thanks for chasing this - it is appreciated.

I eventually got through to "fault management" and after a 1hr 40mins call I have an enginner visit arranged for the 25th September. I tried to say on the call that I've had a stable 40Mpbs SKY connection for years and all I've done is swap the router over in my house to TalkTalk. 

I can't see it being a problem at my end...   

Community Team

Hi

I can see an engineer has been arranged so they should be able to resolve this for you.

Thanks

Karl. 

Tim5230
Team Player

An Openreach engineer called on Monday 25th September and fitted a new master socket and filtered faceplate.  He said the line was fine and believed based on his measurements that it should be capable of 70Mbps. He said I should ask my internet provider to request Openreach to provide a better connection at the cabinet. How do I do that?

When he left the line was synching at 9999/39999Mpbs up/down. However the router dropped its connection 5 times on Tuesday evening while trying to watch a film. It did the same thing on Wednesday night. Having been away for a few days and wanting to leave it 7 days to settle, it dropped its connection again repeatedly trying to watch sky sports and, this morning, is now synching at 9999/27399 Mbps - down more than 12Mpbs.

So replacing the master socket and faceplate has made no difference at all to my problem. As I said at the beginning, the unstable internet connection started when I switched to TalkTalk as all I did was replace the router - I have not had a stable internet connection since I switched in July.

What do I do now?         

Community Team

Hi

If the connection is still unstable we will send this back to openreach requesting a follow up engineer.

what day / time is best for this.

Thanks

Karl. 

Tim5230
Team Player

Hi Karl,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I can be at the house anytime for an egineer visit so the sooner the better!

But I don't think the problem is at my end...I have tried 3 routers and had a new master socket and faceplate fitted. Does this information get communicated to Openreach beforehand? 

It is bizarre, the line stayed stable for 1 day 8 hours at 27239kpbs, it then reset itself back to 39999kbps. It last dropped its connection 1hr 49mins ago and is down to 34998kbps.  

Whatever was done when I switched to TalkTalk (presume this is a different connection made at the exchange) has to be the cause? 

Cheers

Community Team

Hi

The DLM system at the exchange has lowered the profile to 35mb currently based on line conditions.  This did increase for a short time but the system may have seen increased errors and reduced this back to 35mb. 

We are continuing to monitor, and all tests are currently passing.  Besides the drop in the speed, has the overall connection remained stable ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Tim5230
Team Player

Karl,

As of today (Friday 6:40am) it has been up for 23 hours synched at 34998kbps.

The telephone line comes into the house via an underground cable which carries two lines. The previous owner many years ago used the other one for business and is disconnected. I presume this could be used instead if the current line has developed an intermittent fault?

I've checked which cabinet I am served by - its about 500m as the crow flies (obviously the actual could be longer). When I looked at my next door neighbours offer from the BT wholesale site, it is quoting a clean 70Mbps connection (mine was 57Mbps). Presume that was why Openreach engineer said to request a better connection at the cabinet. Can this be requested?

Thanks

Tim.

Tim5230
Team Player

As of 8:10am it has dropped again - now synched at 32Mbps for the last 25 minutes.

Community Team

Hi

I'll request this is passed out to Openreach.  What days / times are best for this Mon - Fri AM (8-1) or PM (1-6)

Thanks

Karl. 

Tim5230
Team Player
Solution

Hi Karl,

I think I have found my problem....

Both the TalkTalk routers (HG633 and DSL3782) are dropping their internet connection when there is high traffic through my AV500 powerline adaptors. This is also causing the break up of the SKY sports picture on the Youview box which is directly fed from the router via cat5 cable. 

Re-producing this effect has been a nightmare. It does not happen to the SKY router that is why my setup was stable before. It also does not occur when the powerline adaptors are sat next to each other on the same double socket near the router. It only occurs when the second powerline adaptor is located further away in the house - and only for high throughput. Low trafiic volume does not cause it to fail. Moving the first powerline adaptor 15m away in another room via a long ethernet cable does not sort it either.....  

The powerline adaptors must be causing interference that prevents both the TalkTalk routers from detecting the broadband signal and this appears as a dropped connection and hence the DLM lowers the connection speed. Since completly removing the powerline adaptors, the router has been stable for 13 hours so fingers crossed.....I am now going to run an external cat6 cable round the house so out with the drill....

Question - does my line now need to be reset or will the DLM take care of this automatically?

Thanks for all your help

Community Team

Hi

The BT DLM system should reset to the highest rate after 48hrs with no issues detected.

Thanks

Karl. 

Tim5230
Team Player

Should DLM have increased my synch speed by now? 

After sorting out my power line adaptor fault, my router has only re-synched twice in 7 days. It has been up for 2 days with the following router stats but download speed is still capped at 32,399kbps. Two questions:

1) Should the DLM have increased this back to 39999kbps by now based on the router stats posted below or do I have longer to wait?

2) The BT availability site now has my max available speed at 60.1Mbps. So, if I pay for a fibre boost and switch to an 80:20 feed, does this reset the line in the process or would it stay capped at 32Mbps?   

Any thoughts, welcome.

DSL (Sync) Uptime:

2d:17h:52m:39

SNR Margin: Line Attenuation: Output Power: Data Rate: ES: SES: UAS: FEC: CRC:

8.3 dB / 13.7 dB
3.0 dB / 15.1 dB
7.1 dbm / 11.7 dbm
9999 kbps / 32399 kbps
0 / 218
0 / 0
41 / 41
24113 / 0
0 / 265
Community Team

Hi

I've requested our teams log this out to openreach for investigation.

Thanks

Karl. 

Tim5230
Team Player

Hi Karl,

Router resynched at 39998kbps at 04:00 this morning, so your request has worked. 

Can I just offer a big thank you for all the assistance on this community.

Regards

Tim