cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Smart TV application has vanished

29 REPLIES
very_unimpressed
Popular Poster

I have used Talk films (used to be called blinkbox) for a number of years. Have a good library of films which i wish to watch. Samsung Smart TV application has vanished. Have tried looking for it but not available. Tried talking to customer services, but got no where. Tried online chat agent who told me that the old application had been removed and that a new one would be available soon. I asked how soon but he would not answer. Situation is i want to watch the films i have purchased, but am being denied. Can someone give me a clear answer as to when i will be able to restore the service i have paid for?

thank you

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @very_unimpressed

Here's the advice from TalkTalk about compatibility for TalkTalk TV and viewing your purchased content.

Unfortunately, Samsung wouldn't allow the new TalkTalk TV app to be loaded onto their TV's. As far as I'm aware Samsung are not going to allow a new app to be provided so the idea that a new app would be available soon is a non-starter.

But you can still download the new TalkTalk TV app from iTunes for an iPad so long as it's running iOS8 or later release and download from PlayStore for an android device.

You can view your content on the TalkTalk TV Box connected to your Samsung TV, on the TalkTalk TV website app (www.talktalktv.co.uk) and on an iPad or android device. 

The best, big screen solution is to use the TalkTalk TV Box.

Gondola - I'm a TVPlus customer *
very_unimpressed
Popular Poster

Gondola,

Thank you for the information.

Its a pity that the chat agent lied to me when he stated there was a new application in the works.

I dont have any apple devices and its not possible for the family to gather round my mobile phone to watch the library of films.

If Samsung are unwilling to carry the talk talk app anymore, it is a little surprising that Talk Talk did not send us an email warning of the impending loss of service, as they must surely have known.

How do i go about getting my money back for the films i have purchased, as i have a significant library?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @very_unimpressed

The option to watch on a Samsung Smart TV was only one of the options, as I mentioned. It's a shame that Sumsung pulled the plug.

The main viewing option is always intended to be the TalkTalk TV Box but if you're not a TalkTalk customer then the TalkTalk TV content has always been supported by Chromecast. So, content on the web, android or iOS devices can be cast to Chromecast connected to your Samsung TV and viewed as normal. 

Here's the advice on supported devices (Click here)

very_unimpressed
Popular Poster

Hi Gondola,

Thank you for the information you provided.

I really do not want to have to purchase more items to use a service that has worked perfectly well for a number of years. The family TV is mounted on the wall and there is no place to add another box of tricks (along with power leads). I signed up for the servcie through the TV and have never used anything else for the films, so why should i have to pay more money to access what i have already paid for?

Surely this is a simple case of breach of contract?

How do i escalate this to one of the OCE members on this forum so i can get some traction in resolving this issue. My phone call to the help centre ended with the phone being put down and the online chat included a lie from the operator, so i have little faith in that option.

I have films i cant watch!

very_unimpressed
Popular Poster

Fo some odd reason my last post requesting some guidance has been reported as SPAM. Can the community help me recover the post?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @very_unimpressed

The TalkTalk support team aren't here until Monday. Try reposting using friendly words that aren't likely to be held by comment spam.

very_unimpressed
Popular Poster

There was nothing in my post that might be considered 'unfriendly'. I was simply asking for gudiance in escalating my compliant to one of the OCE members (did not appreciate they are not here at weekends). Having got no where with a long telephone call earlier today and been 'misled' using the chat application, i was hoping to achieve traction in getting access to my films.

I appreciate your respsonse

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @very_unimpressed

Anticipating your desire, I'd already escalated this topic to the OCE TalkTalk support team.

If you're a TalkTalk Broadband customer you'll need to ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your landline phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and save changes. The Community support OCE's (TalkTalk team) will then be able to link this topic to your TalkTalk service account.

TalkTalk TV Support is here.

Are you a TalkTalk broadband customer?

Have you tried to access your content on the TalkTalk TV website?

Do you have a YouView TV Box or Chromecast?

If waiting until Monday isn't an option, the best options for general TalkTalk support are LiveChat or Messenger on the MyTalkTalk mobile app (8am to 10pm).

For calls to Customer Service agents from a mobile, call 0203 441 5550. (8am to 8pm) Calls to Customer Services on 0345 172 0088 are free from your TalkTalk phone (8am-8pm) with Technical Support 24/7 every day.

very_unimpressed
Popular Poster

Hi Gondola,

Thank you for escalating.

I am a Talk Talk broadband customer and the account information does include contact details. Any idea how long it normally takes to get a call from the team?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @very_unimpressed

The support team workload dictates when they'll reply here and it's usually one to two days.

Do you have a YouView TV Box?

Have you merged your former TV Store account with your MyAccount login?

very_unimpressed
Popular Poster

Hi Gondola,

I have no Youview box or any other box, just a TV and broadband connection. My Films (like a lot of other users) are in a library that i can watch on my TV. Well at least i could until the application vanished. What is so irritating is that there was no warning, alert, email or anything else telling me that i was going to be unable to watch my libary. Why have TalkTalk not communicated this, they must have known?

I should not have to spend more money to get access to what i have already paid for.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @very_unimpressed

So far as I'm aware the viewing of TalkTalk TV content on Samsung TV's was only ever there for the 2011 - 2014 range of TV's. There was an announcement on the TalkTalk TV Store in 2015 about the fact that Samsung were not supporting the app from 2015 onwards.

I'm not sure when TalkTalk knew that Samsung would not accept an updated app for the 2011 - 2014 models but I suppose it's no great surprise when Samsung haven't been providing support for 3 years now. 

TalkTalk TV Supported DevicesTalkTalk TV Supported Devices

For the latest development of TalkTalk TV these have been the only devices mentioned as being supported.

The Group press release of 28 Feb 2017 does mention that existing customers do use Smart TV's.  I think we can infer that sometime after 28 Feb 2017 the legacy support for 2011 - 2014 Smart TV's was discovered not to be acceptable to the TV manufacturers and announced as such on the TalkTalk TV Store website on 30 Jan 2018. 

For TV screen viewing going forward there is ongoing support for The TalkTalk TV Box and Chromecast.

If I were you I'd ask for a TalkTalk TV Box for your next contract renewal.  I'd be pretty confident that the loyalty team would bundle that box in for free if you asked.

dobbylovesocks
Team Player

As they are still advertising the app as being supported by samsung (check the website, it's still there in your account at the bottom), and you therefore purchased the items under the agreement that you could play it on your device, I believe you should be entitled to a refund. Especially as they are currently still selling the films in a misleading manner. 

No matter what customer services say, read the sale of goods act which has specific rights for digital content.

I suggest you screenshot the compatible devices still listed today and contact trading standards for them to investigate further. They are the ones who have broken their agreement you entered into at time of sale and are no longer providing you with the service you paid for.

No doubt, had you been warned of this at time of sale you would have decided against purchasing from them and gone elsewhere. (you're welcome :) ) 

Gondola
Community Star

@dobbylovesocks  Where exactly are you suggesting that TalkTalk say the TalkTalk TV app is supported by Samsung? A hyperlink or screenshot would do nicely.

dobbylovesocks
Team Player
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @dobbylovesocks

That screenshot is not from the current TalkTalkTV website: Here's what's currently presented:

TalkTalkTv 12 Feb 2018TalkTalkTv 12 Feb 2018

dobbylovesocks
Team Player

If you look at the date in the bottom right hand corner you'll see it's dated last night.

As I can still access this screen and can purchase from that screen, I would say it's 'current!' :) 

dobbylovesocks
Team Player

so again.... if you log into the account, scroll to the bottom and click 'watch anywhere' you will see the same list I do

The screen shot you show is the one that shows before you log in.... 

I already have my case open and am in conversations with trading standards. I have my screenshots etc so I don't need to convince you. I'm simply suggesting that people struggling with the same issue do the same and get proper advice. They really don't have anything to lose now do they? 

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @dobbylovesocks

The screenshot doesn't change for me whether logged in to my TalkTalk TV account or not.

Have you merged your old Blinkbox / TalkTalk TV Store account with a TalkTalk Broadband account login?  Or is that screenshot what's displayed for non-TalkTalk broadband customers?