Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Subscription Channel repeated issues

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi everyone,  We activated our TalkTalk TV box about 2 weeks ago and have only just managed to get the subscription channels to work 2 days ago (after previously having a TalkTalk chat session which was very unhelpful to be honest).  Instead, I googled the error code and followed the suggested steps - reboot router and TV box, update software etc which resolved the issue at that time.  Unfortunately the next day the channels were gone again so we again rebooted the router and TV box and they came back, great!  Only for them to go off again 10 minutes later.  So rebooting seems to bring them back, but surely it isn't normal to have to reboot even daily never mind more than once?!  Anyone have any advice?  We are frustrated to be paying for a service that we can't watch straight away when we want to.  I am very reluctant to try the Chat route again so thought I would try people who are actually using the service.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi VickiW

This is not good.  You should not have to reboot the box every day.

Can you tell me the error you were getting ?

Is the TV box direct to the router with a cable ?

Can you add your home phone number to your Community Profile so I can check your line and connection for any issues.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Karl,

Thank you for replying.  I have added home phone number to my profile for you.  The error that shows is IPC6012, like I said the channels came back on when we rebooted and updated software, but the same error came back the next day which rebooting solved the issue again for around 10 minutes or so and as we were looking through our available channels that same error came up again.  The router and TV box are directly connected via ethernet cable.  All other services such as catch-up TV and Wi-Fi have all worked with no problems since we connected everything.

Thanks

Vicki

Highlighted

Hi

No issues showing with your line and all tests are currently clear.

I've reset the line and the readings are looking a little better.

See how this behaves over the course of today.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Karl,

We have now given it over a week since your last message.  We have rebooted several times/updated software etc but apart from them working on one occasion in the last 11 days, they are still not working.  We are still getting the same error code.  What can we do other than cancel please?  We do not want to be paying out for something we cannot use, and it is not practical to keep rebooting as this does not always work anyway!

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi VickiW

A new router is on the way to rule out a fault with this.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Karl,

We received our new router yesterday and set it up last night.  Unfortunately it has not solved the problem and we are still getting the same error message IPC6012, and asking us to set up SkyOne etc!  We turned the TV box off, connected the new router, waited for it to boot up and the broadband light to come on and then turned the TV box back on.  We checked that we are running the latest software etc too.  We are very unhappy and disappointed that we are paying for a service that does not work!!  So far we have not been able to watch the extra subscription channels at all.  What's next?  If nothing can be done we would like to cancel the extra channels and a refund for the payments we have paid so far for the service we have been unable to use from the start.  Please advise.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi

I've asked our higher level TV colleagues to take a look at all settings on our side and see if they can spot anything.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted

Hi

Our TV teams advise there are a lot of errors showing on the broadband that could be impacting the services.

Do you have a Test Socket ?

If so are you able to remove the face plate and connect directly to the test socket ?

If you do not have this type of socket, do you only have the one socket, or any extension sockets ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Karl,

I have no idea if we have a test socket or not.  Our main socket is in the hallway and we do not have any others.  We have had to run an extension cable from the main socket through to the living room to plug our router in near the TV Box (to connect via Ethernet).  We do not seem to suffer with any Broadband issues, all catch-up TV apps/Wi-Fi appear to work perfectly.  It is purely the subscription channels we cannot get.  We are not very technically minded so not sure how to proceed now.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi Vicki,

Do you have a telephone cable from the socket in the hall, through to the  router in the living room, and approximately how long is the cable. 

Do you have any electrical sockets near the phone socket in the hall ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Popular Poster

HI Karl

Yes we have a telephone cable from the hallway socket through to the living room, it is around 10M long.  We used to have the same in our previous property with no issues.  There is a power socket around 2-3 metres away from the telephone socket in the hallway.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi Vicki

The further away from the phone socket you have the router, the more the signal will degrade.  Telephone extension leads are not very good for data (broadband) and the longer this cable, the more it will impact the speed and stability of the signal before it reaches the router.  Basically, it is best to keep the router as close to the phone socket as possible.

Now, I know in your setup this is difficult, but there are a few options that may help.

The best option may be to use powerline adapters.  These are small plug in adapters that can carry the broadband signal via your electrical wiring.

In this type of setup, you would connect the router into the phone socket with a short adsl cable, about a metre long.  You would then take an ethernet cable, thats the thicker yellow cable from the router and connect this into the powerline adapter in the plug socket.  near your TV, you can have another adapter, and from this a cable would then plug into the TV box.

The other thing to consider, is how you connect your other devices, do these all use wifi or do you have a pc etc that connects directly to the router ?

The second option, you can keep the router at the phone socket but use a long ethernet cable.  These cables are designed to carry data signals and can be around 300ft long before it impacts the signal.  A 10 metre cable would cost around £10.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Karl,

Thank you for your reply.  Our problem is it's not really practical for us to have the router in the hallway as it would have to be on the floor and due to it being a throughfare and having dogs and soon a baby who will become a toddler it would not stay in place or connected for long!  I do understand what you're saying, but everything other than the subscription channels work perfectly, wouldn't everything struggle if it was purely broadband issues?   All our other (phones/tablet) devices are connected via Wi-Fi which all work with no connection issues.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi

Ok, if you do have to use a longer cable to the router I would advise to keep this as short as possible and to have the router at the closest point you can to the hall.

TV services use a protocol known as IGMP, and this signal is more sensitive than general internet traffic, but with the errors on the line you may also see pages slow to load sometimes.

If I look at your line from midnight last night, there are 2 sections to look at.  The first are the errors on the downstream to you.  These errors occur within every hour, and are about 10 - 15 errors every hour.  Now these are not excessive in broadband terms but can still be a problem.

The most important thing I notice is the SNR or Signal to Noise Ratio.  The easiest way to explain how this works, is ... imagine you are in a room full of people talking to a friend. The louder the people around you are talking, the more you have to raise your voice, so in broadband terms, the stronger the signal has to be to overcome any background data noise.

Ideally I like to see a line with an SNR of about 6db. There will always be a fluctuation up or down by 1 - 1.5 db and that's normal for most lines.

Looking at your line from last night, this has been dropping on average to 4 or 3db, with the lowest point at 1.5 at 01:28 this morning. So in essence the signal is being reduced at times, a bit like the crowd talking louder or your friend talking quieter, so you would struggle to hear your friend.

I've sent you a copy of the line readings via private message and you can ask any questions about these.

The only way to prove this to you, would be for you to connect the router at the phone socket with a short cable for a time, let the system record the line readings for a few hours and I can show you how these compare.

Regards,

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Karl,

I don't know where to see the private message you sent to me.  If we did decide to go down the powerline adaptor route and have the router in the hallway - where do we get them from are they Talk Talk specific or generic?  Looking at ethernet cables does it matter which Cat No or cable colour? (I apologise if this is a really dumb question!)

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi

If powerline adapters are needed, I can get a set out to you.  Does not make much difference for the network cables, so don't worry about cat 5 or 6 etc.

As for the private message ,  go to the community, at the top of the screen to the right of your avatar, can you now see an envelope symbol.  This should take you to your messages page.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thanks Karl, found the message.  I can see the SNR info you mentioned in your previous post.  So if they are around 6 you would expect our subscription channels to work?  Anything below that may be when we get the issue with them not working?  You mentioned sending out powerline adaptors - how much would they cost please?  And would they definitely correct our problem?

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi

This is a basic pic of how the 2 powerline adapters work.

These should reduce the errors on the line, but with technology you can never be 100% sure until you change the setup.

The powerline adapters are usually chargeable, but in the interest of resolving this issue, I can get a free set out to you if you want to try this method..

Regards,

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Popular Poster

@OCE_Karl wrote:

Hi

This is a basic pic of how the 2 powerline adapters work.

These should reduce the errors on the line, but with technology you can never be 100% sure until you change the setup.

The powerline adapters are usually chargeable, but in the interest of resolving this issue, I can get a free set out to you if you want to try this method..

Regards,

Karl. 

Hi Karl,

That would be great if you can send some out to us please.  We can at least see if they will solve our issue and take it from there.  Will the cables we need be included, or do we need to source them ourselves? 

Thanks.