cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

TTG 238

ANSWERED
16 REPLIES
Steveng
Chatterbox
Hello. I am using my old BT Humax box for the talktalk service as the Huawei box sent by talktalk is inferior (poor picture quality, slowing moving picture). I am now getting a TTG 238 error message saying the service is only available on my main youview box. I only use one box, how do I get the settings change for this box to be the main box. The website offered in the message is no help whatsoever!
spock146
First Timer

Same thing on my new bt youview box. it has been working flawlessly for the last 2 weeks including Netflix which does still work. Spent what felt like an hour going through all the fault checks despute just requesting changing the primary box.

Please can someone just change the registration over to primary

youview box is drtr2110

spock

Steveng
Chatterbox

Anyone from talktalk want to help us out? 

Community Team
Solution

Hi Steveng & Spock 146

I've set the humax as the primary box for both of you.

Thanks

Karl

Steveng
Chatterbox
Thank you, all working fine now!
spock146
First Timer

thumbs up at this end, many thanks

spock

Chris__M
Chatterbox

Is it really that easy to switch the Humax to be the main box?

I had exactly this issue - I have both a retail Humax box (DTR-T1000), and a TalkTalk Huawei box. Like many, I far prefer the Humax.

Back in December, I called TalkTalk support, asking if it was possible to make the Humax the main box. I was told yes, and that they would do it for me. Their first attempt  failed to do anything. Their second attempt resulted in *both* boxes giving the TTG238 message - i.e. neither appeared to be main.

Support said they didn't understand why, and would escalate, and someone would call me back. No-one did, and we spent Christmas and the New Year without the included Sky Channels.

Yesterday, I spent 2 hours (really, I don't exagerate) on the phone to support - in all, I spoke to 4 different people, being shunted from person to person. I kept explaining "Sky worked on the Huawei box before you changed it in December, can we simply reverse that change?" One guy started asking me to disconnect all my equipment, saying he would teach me how to connect it to the internet properly (ignoring my insistance that all standard online players worked, and that Sky had previously worked); the guy who he passed me onto tried to get me to authorise 55 quid for an engineer to call; the next guy latched onto the fact that I don't use a standard TalkTalk router, and that was the cause, despite me telling him (a) it had worked previous to the changes support had made in December (b) the router hadn't changed in the meantime (c) I understood IGMP and had it configured correctly (he didn't know what I was talking about).

Finally, I got through to someone who could help, by being rude (not my usual approach) and insisting on speaking to someone senior. Even then, I had to explain from scratch (yet again) and explain (a) yes it did work previously (b) I can see the internet; (c) no, it is not my router. Finally at 2 hours 20 minutes, he switched back my Huawei as main, and I could see Sky again - not on my preferred box, but at least I had the channels back, after weeks without service.

I guess I should have tried the community first (this is my first time here), but I kind of assumed the official TalkTalk support line was the way to go. Now reading this, I feel ever so frustrated.

Community Team

Hi, sorry to hear this.

If you do want me to confirm the box is set as the primary, can you confirm the last 8 digits of the box identifier.

This can be found : Y Button > Settings > System Information > Device Information.

Karl.

cwillk14
First Timer

mine also needs changing, i was on the phone to talktalk yesterday for over 30 mins & they were absoutly useless, they have never heard of error code ttg 238 & couldnt understand what the problem was after i read the error messege to them 3 times! fed up with this now how hard can it be???

Chris__M
Chatterbox

Karl  - many thanks. Am out and about this weekend, but will post the numbers either tonight or tomorrow.

cwillk14
First Timer
My last 8 digits are 0104d94c
Community Team

Hi cwillk14,

Can you please complete your Community Profile and we'll take a look at this for you. :)

Chris

Community Team
kaz32
First Timer

hi am having same problem i also only have one tt box in house was working fine up until two days ago 

Community Team

Hi

can you start your own thread (New Message)  so we can deal with this for you.

Posting in other threads makes it difficult to follow the conversation and for others when searching for a solution.

Many Thanks

Karl.

Stroppychild
Participant

Hi could you please set the following box as my primary box. Model DN370T.02.04.P, serial number F8R8WF12B0914969, Identifier 001882-DN370T01-010f2151.

Thanks

Shaun

benjacko78
Popular Poster

i've got asked promlem   i've  got  a free view box in bedroom what i put in there and talktalk box in living room  up to yestoday it's been working fine  and today  trying to watch on demand on youview box  it say it's not my main box and can't watch demand on it 

anybody help pls