Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TV Plus Box randomly freezes for 20 to 30 seconds

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Popular Poster

I purchased a replacement TV Plus box just over a week ago. It randomly freezes when time shifting, or playing back a recording; if a recording is in progress when the freeze occurs, then that part of the recording is lost (seen as an instantaneous jump on playback). Whilst frozen, the only active remote function appears to be Standby (switching to Standby and back on sometimes clears the freeze) - essentially, all disk access stops during the freeze.

I have found similar reports  in 2018/2019, and the only suggestion is to try a Factory Reset from the Maintenance Menu (this I have tried twice, including deleting all recordings - but to no effect). It was suggested that, if the Factory Reset did not work, then the box would have to be replaced.

Can I request a replacement box via the Forum? The current situation means that there is little telephone support, and the website seems to offer no other means of fault reporting.

Hope someone can help,

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi,

We're happy to look into this for you. So I can find your details, can you update your community profile to include your home phone number.

If you don’t know your phone number, don’t worry, you can add your account number.

To check your phone number, you can dial 17070 from your home phone.

To update your info, go to 'My Settings'. then 'Personal Information', add your details, then click 'Save Changes' at the bottom when done.

You can also follow this link : Update My Profile 

Let me know when you have done this.

Thanks

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Karl,

I have updated my profile and sent you an email.

Thanks for your help

Highlighted

Hi

I'll get the box swapped out.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Karl,

Replacement box arrived Friday, and seems OK (no problems on recordings, or time-shifting live TV - other box had problems from Day 1).

Thanks, again, for all your help

Highlighted

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Karl,

The new box seemed fine for just over a week, then on Sunday it froze once (watching an old recording whilst a new recording was in progress), it froze again on Monday (timeshifting live TV whilst a new recording was in progress). It appears to be an issue with simultaneous read and right activity to the disc (disc cache problem?). My original box had no problems in this area (you could have two active recordings, and watch a third (archived) recording).

As I mentioned, there appear to be other references to this problem over the last couple of years - do you know if TalkTalk/Huawei have ever identified what the issue is? I suppose the other thing to note is that it is definitely not a transmission issue (after the freeze I can step back through the recording/ time-shifted live broadcast, and it will play through the previously frozen section perfectly).

One other possibility is that there was a firmware update round about the time I changed my original box, and that the firmware update has introduced this problem (the firmware record doesn't give dates, so I can't verify this).

Cheers

Highlighted

Hi

I'm not aware of any firmware updates being pushed out this month or through April so don't think it is that.

Reset the box with a Youview Maintenance Reset then see if the performance changes.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Karl,

I have tried the Reset via the Maintenance Menu (as I did with the last box), but to no effect. In the last week the box has only frozen twice (so its freeze rate is lower than the last box).

The last time it froze I had a single recording in progress, and I started to watch that recording 5 minutes after the recording started. About 20 minutes in, the box froze for 20 (ish) seconds, and 5 minutes later there was the associated jump in the recorded programme. As this situation was easy to replicate, I set up another recording, to see if it would freeze at a similar point - it didn't. This randomness makes it look like a mechanical issue with the disc drive (maybe the head assembly sticking so that read/write operations fail) - the only constant is the 20(ish) seconds for the problem to clear (only the manufacturer is likely to know what this indicates).

As I say, the freeze rate (at the moment) is quite low - it's still a bit annoying if you lose 20 seconds of dialogue at a critical moment.

All the Best

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Karl,

I have just flagged this topic as 'New', so hopefully your attention will be drawn to it.

After a few, relatively, quiet weeks, the box decided to make it's presence felt today. It froze 4 times in less than 1 hour - twice during a recording (a couple of minutes apart) resulting in gaps in the recording; and twice during playback (again, a couple of minutes apart), resulting in the usual 20 seconds pause.

As I say, hopefully the 'New' flag will draw your attention to this topic again. If it doesn't, I will try posting it as a new topic in a couple of days.

Best Regards

Highlighted

Hi

No issues showing remotely.  When the issue occurs, do you notice any drop in broadband performance, or if you check the home phone, any noise or crackle suddenly on the phone line.

Karl

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Karl,

I don't believe I have any Internet issues, and the phone line is clear as a bell. At it's most basic level, the problem happens when it is playing back a recording with no other activity present (i.e. no active recordings), so the Internet shouldn't get in the way (unless there are background/maintenance processes going on) - the box is capable of making, and viewing, Freeview programmes without an Internet connection; so I wouldn't expect it to do anything, other than possibly briefly display the banner indicating Internet connection lost at the top of the screen, if I lost Internet whilst watching a Freeview recording (all the freezes have been on Freeview, not Internet based, Channels).

I had another issue, a couple of days ago, which also appeared disc related - the 'end of recording' window appeared when it was only part way through playback - re-selecting the recording, it played perfectly.

Another oddity, again in the last couple of days, the box put itself into standby for a couple of seconds, then back on again (resulting in the menu strip appearing at the bottom of the picture).

As a summary for the freeze - all read/write activity to the disc stops for approx 20 seconds, after which time the box continues as if nothing has happened (active recordings and playback resume). Whilst in the freeze condition, the only operation available is Standby/On (from either the box button, or the remote) which appears to clear the freeze immediately. It appears to be completely random, typically once per day (worst case, four times in one hour - which was annoying).

Although the problem is (irritatingly) random, it is 100% consistant in what it does - would it be possible to feed it back to Huawei as a technical query? The box is, otherwise, perfect.

Thanks for sticking with it, Best Regards

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Karl,

Another point relating to the possibility of a link to the stability of my broadband connection. The box has never had issues whilst watching a live stream (Freeview, or Internet sourced programme), which would indicate that my broadband connection isn't an issue. The problem is still there (occuring 1 - 2 times per day) - another recording oddity has occured a couple of times this week - having set a single recording active, I have tried to change to viewing another channel, only for the box to tell me that I have 2 recordings active, and I must stop one to be able to change channels (the two recordings it says are active are, in fact, the same recording - e.g. today it said I had 2 simultaneous recordings of Dead Ringers on Radio 4 - which is impossible - I tried stopping the first instance, but it would still not let me change channels; stopping the second instance let me change channels).