Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TV box starts up TV by itself

6 REPLIES 6
JonDavid
Chatterbox

During the night my TV box turns itself on and starts up the TV, which is very annoying as it wakes me up. I turn off the TV using the blue button at the top of the remote control and the TV box with the red button next to the blue button.

Community Team

Hi

If the TV is turning itself on in the middle of the night when connected to the YouView box, this is usually when the TV box shows activity, such as a software update. This is caused because the TV will have HDMI CEC active.

This is Consumer Electronic Control (CEC). This is a feature of newer TV’s to allow them to to see the devices connected and to control other devices. You can look through the TV menus and there will be an option to turn HDMI CEC off or there will be 1 HDMI port that will not have this feature.

Thanks

Karl. 

JonDavid
Chatterbox
I'll try that and see if it works. Many thanks.
fre55die
Community Star

Hi @JonDavid

Mine changes inputs when it does it's nightly update, even if I am watching something else on my Humax box, NOW TV box or Blu-ray player. I have reported it on here, to the trials team and to Youview directly.

As Karl says, when it updates even if the box is in "DEEP SLEEP" it sends a pulse through the system, including to the TV causing the trigger to your TV.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Community Team

Hi

Started happening on my new Samsung TV.  Turned off the CEC option and it all stopped 🙂

Thanks

Karl. 

JonDavid
Chatterbox

Karl, hi

I'm assuming the equivalent to the CEC option on my Panasonic TV is the Viera link. When I turn this off the TVbox won't control the TV anymore.  Is there something else I can try?

Community Team

Hi

This is the only option I'm aware of that can potentially resolve the issue.  Did you check to see if there are other HDMI ports on the TV that are not controlled this way ?

Thanks

Karl.