Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Talk Talk Box - All recordings black screen and no sound

21 REPLIES 21
foulolron
Participant

My box is recording programmes but on viewing them they play but have no picture or sound, I've tried a factory reset (keeping recordings), also some recordings have failed  completly

Any ideas welcome

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @foulolron

I've drawn this topic to the attention of the TalkTalk Community support team and an OCE will respond to you right here to help you.

Leave your router powered and connected to the line and your TV Box on Smart standby until you hear from an OCE.  The OCE will be able to check the TV Box and will have options to discuss with you.

I'm experiencing the exact same issues so I do have a couple of questions and then some suggestions.

First, what geographic bbc/itv region are you in?  For example, London, South East, Midlands, North, Wales etc

Next, what is the box manufacturer software. Youview blue button / menu button > Scroll right to Settings > Scroll down and right to Software Information.

Now, on to what I've recently experienced. A Maintenenace Mode (Option 2 reset) has recovered the ability to play pre-recorded programmes.  However, after a period in smart standby the playback failure is again apparent. Black screen on any playback. A soft (front panel) reset has recovered playback.  But after watching and deleting a movie the box then fails to play any other recording. A soft (front panel) reset has not recovered playback. But after that reset the drive content indicator now says 0% free where it should be 29% free. Another soft reset and recording is recovered, playback is recovered and the drive content indicator now says 29% free.

For the moment, the recording and playback looks to be recovered having gone through the multiple resets. The version of software it's running 72.45.158 did previously report that the Apps & Players could not be updated (as others have reported in the TV trials) but after the MM reset Option 2 it now reports the Apps & Players are up to date. It's always possible there's a hardware / software compatibility issue or the hard drive may be failing.

So, what I suggest is to update software and players and apps and see if that reports all up to date or not. Then try a front panel soft reset - push and hold the power button for around 8 seconds until the box lights change and the box restarts.  I did have to go through this twice before the hard drive content indicator reported the right amount of space remaining. 

The OCE will hopefully find out more from your box diagnostics and if it's terminal (ie the box does not replay at all) may ask you to do a full factory reset to reformat the hard drive to recheck before replacing the TV Box.

Gondola - Halloween ghoul guide

To avoid my red eyes . . . If I spooked a solution Best Answer

foulolron
Participant

Hi

Thanks for the reply

I'm in the Yorkshire region
Model is Huawei DNS372T.01.02.P variant 1
Software is 72.45.145

It's reporting 64% free

Just tried a reset (holding power button) twice and no change, still 64% and still no play back from recordings 

Hope it doesn't mean a full reset we've recordings from last year not watched yet.

It's in standby mode and router is always on

Thanks for the help
Community Team

Hi foulolron

I cannot see any issues with your connection and all the usual account settings are ok.

Can you try the Youview Maintenance Reset (Option 2: Keep Recordings).

Please note any future scheduled recordings will be lost and will have to be rescheduled.

see if this helps.

I've emailed our TV teams to see if they have seen this issue or are aware of any issues currently that could cause this.

Thanks

Karl. 

Community Team

@Gondola

I've passed your comments over to Rez in TV to see if he can see anything that could affect this.

Thanks

Karl. 

foulolron
Participant

Hi Karl

I'm at work at the moment but I've done the reset (keep recordings) a couple of times yesterday with the same results (black screen no sound)

Thanks

Community Team

Hi

Ok, I'll see what our TV teams have to say regarding this.

Thanks

Karl. 

foulolron
Participant

Thanks Karl

Community Team

No Problem 🙂

I'll let you know as soon as I hear.

Karl 

foulolron
Participant

Hi Karl

Any update from your colleagues?

Thanks

Community Team

Hi

My Colleagues have been running some tests on Gondola's TV box as it looks like a file system problem.  Im waiting for Gondola to see if this makes improvement so I can ask they apply the same treatment to your box 🙂

Karl,

foulolron
Participant

Hi Karl

That would be great if they could sort it so I keep my recordings

Thanks

Community Team

Hi

I've emailed your details across to see if they can try he file system rebuild on your box.

Thanks

Karl. 

foulolron
Participant

Hi Karl 

Thanks,  how will I know if it's worked

Regards 

Community Team

Hi

I'm waiting for an email back from the teams, but they may have finished for the day.  As soon as I hear back from them I'll post and ask you to retest.

Thanks

Karl. 

foulolron
Participant

Thanks Karl 

Community Team

Hi

Our teams are unable to connect remotely to your TV box as you have a Dlink router currently.

Now the options we have ahead are to reset the youview box via the factory reset option, reformatting the hard drive, or to swap out the router and then try again.

Which option would you like me to follow ?

Thanks

Karl. 

foulolron
Participant

Hi Karl

I need to keep the dlink router as I originally had your other make which wouldn't allow me to access my works VPN, looks like I'll have to do a full reset and lose all my recordings but I'm not happy about it.  I'll do the reset this evening when I'm home and I'll let you know if it's working, one thing is it likey to do this again ? I don't want to get it working for it to fail again in 6 months and lose recordings again. 

Thanks

foulolron
Participant

Hi Karl

I've just done the factory reset and looks like it's working again which is good,  the not so good is I've lost all my recordings

Fingers crossed it stays working this time as otherwise it's pointless using it to record. 

Thanks for your time

Riva10
First Timer

I'm experiencing the same issue, I have pre-recorded programmes which now won't playback, and in addition any new recordings are all failing to record