Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Talk Talk you view box 'Fails to Record'

103 REPLIES 103
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

For some reason the box is randomly 'Fails to Record' for no obvious reasons.  It is now so bad and unpredictable that where possible we are setting the 'record' for the main programme and also the 'plus 1' channel. It is not unusual for one 'Fails to Record' but the other is fine!  Also we frequently get a programme showing as recorded but when we try and watch it appears that only about one second is recorded as it immediately shows as 'watched' and goes back to the 'My TV' screen.

I've done a maintenance reset but still the same.

Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

If a maintenance reset will not resolve this, the last option to try is the full factory reset from the settings menu.

This will erase the hard drive and set it back up in case of any bad sectors etc.

You will lose any current recordings but is the last option before a box is replaced.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

As requested, I performed a 'Factory Reset' this morning. The first item recorded at 4.00pm on ITV recorded just 2 seconds! Thankfully I also set up the same item on ITV+1 and it recorded fine.

I'll monitor for the next couple of days and feedback whether I am still getting the random "Failed to Record" or whether it appears to be resolved, still concerned by the 2 second recording though!

Also, when suffering these recording problems and being asked to 'Factory Reset' which loses every successful recording, it is soooo annoying.  Having nothing recorded and having to watch rubbish on TV in 'real time' defeats the benefits of the plus box!

Highlighted

Hi

You should only need to reset the box once.  If this does keep happening then we will need to replace the box.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Been monitoring for over a week now and although we haven't had the 'Failed to record' message we have had numerous examples of just recording 1,2, or 3 seconds. Recording appears to have worked but when we go to watch it finish within seconds, so obviously has exactly the same effect as 'Failed to Record'. Appears to be completely random and as mentioned before, if able to record on 'plus 1' on programme 'fails' while the other is fine. Unfortunately not all programmes give us this opportunity.

What happens now?

Highlighted

Hi cglover2

A replacement box is on the way , lets see if this  performs better.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Thanks for actioning that Karl, new box arrived today, however, there is NO Remote in the box. Surely that's not right is it??

Highlighted

Hi

Replacement boxes are now sent without remote as they will work with your current remote.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Ah, ok no reference to that in the box. Any sort of action to take or will the old remote 'just work'?

Highlighted

Hi

The old remote will just work with the box but would be replaced if there was a problem.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

New box was set up last weekend (after watching recordings still on the old box!). Everything seemed fine until today when again we had a "Failed to Record'.  It was on an ITV programme that suffered from this issue previously, however, due to the new box, we no longer also recorded the same programme on 'plus 1'.

What on earth can cause this? Annoyingly there is no more information as to why the programme failed to record, just that unhelpful message!

It has only happened the once so far but on a new box that is not even a week old, it doesn't fill me with hope!

Any more ideas??

Highlighted

Hi

I'm hoping this was a one off with this program. The recording function is not on a timer but triggered by the freeview signal that will indicate the start of the program.

If for some reason there is something that causes interference with the signal being received this could theoretically cause the recording to fail.

See if this happens with any other programs and let me know.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Karl, update as follows, old box has now been returned but just an observation - you explained how the remote is not sent out for a replacement box and this is totally unstandable for a replacement, can I suggest that the same approach is taken with the cables as well as these never left the box and were returned untouched! Just a suggestion.

The new box is not as bad as the old one but still occasionally fails to record but also records programmes for just a few seconds! So it looks as though it has recorded ok but when you go to watch it starts and then almost immediately gives the message 'watched'.  The effect is therefore the same as fails to record.

There is no consistency with channel or time it just occurs randomly which is so annoying!

Is this the box, firmware, software or what, how can this annoying symptom be eliminated?

Highlighted

Hi

With this type of issue it is difficult to pin down.  Replacing the box can rule out the hardware side but we are unable to change the software.

There is a known issue with scheduled recordings disappearing from the guide and YouView have an updated software for the box that our teams are currently testing, but if I'm honest, this is not going to be deployed until the new year.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @cglover2 

I note that it is a new box but, it may be worth trying a maintenance reset option 2 which I have been told reinstalls the software and option 2 keeps recordings. :

Turn the box off, then unplug the power lead for about 10 minutes.

Re-plug in power  lead.

1. Ensure the YouView Box is switched off and is currently connected to the router (the YouView Box will require an internet connection).
  2. Power on YouView using button at the back of the YouView Box.
  3. Start YouView using the power button on the YouView Box front panel and then quickly press and hold both the + and – buttons on the front panel. If you haven’t pressed the buttons together by the time 'YouView Waking Up' is displayed, or you see the 'YouView please wait...' message then try again.
  4. Let go of the + and – buttons once the 'Huawei – Maintenance Mode menu' is displayed.
  5. The + and – buttons on the front panel will navigate the menu. Keep pressing the – button until 2 “factory reset keep recordings” option is highlighted. If you go past the option, simply press the + button to navigate back to the option.
  6. Press the power button on the YouView Box front panel to select the option. This will bring up some information and ask 'Do you want to proceed?'. Press the power button again to confirm.
  7. The YouView Box will now show a progress bar as it downloads software from the internet and installs on the YouView Box. This may take several minutes. Once complete, the YouView Box will restart.
  8. Once the YouView Box restarts, the YouView Box will show the initial setup wizard. You will need to run through the setup wizard including tuning the channels.

You will then need to reset your personal settings (such as parental controls / RF loop through / Surround Sound etc.) and also reset your scheduled recordings (might be worth taking a note of future recordings before doing this so you don’t miss any).

It is also a good idea to restart your router once you have done this.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

OK, the performance of this box is really starting to drive me and my wife mad!  Symptoms are many and numerous, when watching a recording the remote stops working, the only button that appears to work is the power button but nothing else works, solution, switch the box off and then back on (the power button on the back of the box!)

Still fails to record randomly, when a recording has taken place try and play it back and nothing, just a black screen and despite pushing play or fast forward on the remote, nothing happens! Solution, switch the box off and back on again (the power button on the back of the box!)

Is this problems with the remote (which is the original as wasn't changed with the new box) or is it the software issue that Karl mentioned that won't be updated til the new year?

Every time the box is powered down the start cycle takes a good 5 minutes and this has to be done multiple times. Surely there is something fundamentally wrong here?

We have no confidence when making recordings when some series has programmes recording ok and suddenly one 'Fails to Record' for no obvious reason.  The box is having to be switched off and on numerous times just to get the basic functions working again!

Please help, what more can we do?? This really can't be right and soon we have christmas coming which invariably will mean we will wish to record more but our faith in the box is getting to be rock bottom! 

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Still more "failed to Record" today, This is really not the service I am paying for! Can someone please help?!

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I would really appreciate  a comment or suggestion from and OCE please!

Hi

I've a new remote on the way as a new one was not supplied with the box.

Did you try the Youview Maintenance Reset (Option 2: Keep Recordings) as advised by fre55die and did this change enything.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips