Need help?

Talk Talk you view box 'Fails to Record'

Highlighted
Popular Poster
me too
customer of TalkTalk
Highlighted
Popular Poster

I have had failed to record or record for 2/3 seconds. This is random an very intermittent. We have got another box and on the same taltalk connection same router same model and same software version. also same areal connection. both do the same... but sometimes one records and other fails. So not tv broadcast meta data, not network connection or areal. Could be box but same model. Could be software but there must be a 'trigger' to cause it as sometimes records and a couple of days later fails. The best info I have had is read through this.. not TT. However read all 80 odd posts still no fix or suggestion of a possible fix.   Where do we go from here?????

customer of TalkTalk
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I don't know where we go, I've been complaining about this since January and although talktalk have replaced my box twice and are working with youview to resolve this I can't help but think this should have been resolved by now. The issue is even more important in the current crisis when people are relying on home entertainment more.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

snap it's been about the same time for me too. Yes it is way to long for a fault and all on here seem to have the same so should be  a major incident of sort?!?

I had box replaced same issue on replacement, father in law down the road same intermittent recording issue to. Have now set two boxes and is no constant. works on one not other. must admit I'm a bit stumped as the is no pattern. TalkTalk dont seem to be doing anything. from all the comments they appear to just throw out new boxes but it has never resolved the issue for anyone on here.  Dont help with Covid-19 all communication channels appear to be closed! A communication company named 'talktalk' you now can't communicate and talk to LMAO.

Someone help......

customer of TalkTalk
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Still happening... It no specific channel... Channel 5, ITV4.. I'm having to record the +1's just in case... Is it just the TalkTalk box or would a freeview play box also suffer from the same issues?
Highlighted
Popular Poster

ours is e4 hollyoaks and BBC eastenders sometimes holby city but not as much. From comments it's the our youbox and Panasonic if I recall. its record on one box not other some times so not meta data from broadcasters and can't see that changing that often, also done a return couple days later same issue. two boxes on same router same aerial signal same network connection two same model box last I checked on same firmware. i would say a coding glitch if meta data timing on recording is slightly out putting an error on recording on box, ..but would expect intermittent only when there is a timing early or later but to fail on both. think it needs youview to look at OS and or Firmware I think for something that is eroding the recording service/function. Does anyone know if there was  big version release around the beginning of the say V2 to V3 and since had smaller releases say V3.1 V3.2 need a V4 overall on recording function????

customer of TalkTalk
Highlighted
Problem Solver
Highlighted
Participant

Hi, I have started to have this problem as well, particularly on Channel 4, does anybody know if there is a solution to this or what is the best way to formally log the issue with TalkTalk as it does appear to be a common fault ?

Highlighted
Visitor

Exactly what’s happening to me. I’ve tried reset etc but nothing works.

Highlighted
Visitor

My youview box is constantly failing to record. Completed factory settings, completed modem restart but still not recording. Missed loads of what I wanted to watch.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
It's still happening.. Also recorded a 1 hour program on Channel 5 but when playing back it 1 hour of BLANK SCREEN !!!
Highlighted
Chat Champion

There is some good news on this. Youview has figured that the recording problems we've been suffering for pretty much all of this year are due to some transmitters sending out incorrect meta-data (programme start/end signals) on one mux, potentially buggering up recordings for any/all channels on all muxes from that transmitter.

A fix has been being testing on the Crystal Palace transmitter for the last 10 days, which is where I get my signal from, and I haven't had any recording failures since (and I used to get plenty before!).

So, fingers crossed, it looks like the problem has been identified and a fix found.

Youview haven't said which other transmitters are affected, nor when the fix will be rolled out to other transmitters, but I've asked that on the Youview forum and those of you not on the Crystal Palace transmitter can keep an eye on the end of this thread there for an answer.

If you are on the Crystal Palace transmitter and you are still getting recording problems, it's either something else or the fix isn't working for all boxes and it would be good to report that you are still getting problems on that thread.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

More good news - On the 15th of May a Youview representative posted the following further update into their community forum, confirming that the Arqiva 'fix' had been applied to all affected regions on the 8th of May. 

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in updating you.

First of all, thank you for all of the reports of this issue and for those of you who conducted your own investigations into the problems you were seeing – all of the information you helped to provide has been fundamental in our investigation.

Following the Crystal Palace test and the positive feedback seen from this (both via viewer reports and data), Arqiva and D3&4 conducted a further investigation into the regions we knew to be affected and discovered that in these regions, the transmitters were using their “B” feed inputs, rather than their “A” inputs which they should be set to prefer and revert to. At some point on the 22nd January, where we first saw the increase in failed, short and clipped recordings, a glitch caused these transmitters to select their “B” inputs and did not revert back to “A”.The different behaviour of these input feeds is what caused the issue with recordings, rather than using the correct p/f signalling triggers provided by the CSI (or channel) they defaulted to using the EPG timings.

Arqiva rectified the issue on the 8th May across all affected regions, and will be conducting a retrospective exercise to better understand the root cause with their hardware vendors.

Thank you,
Louise.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
When I say it was still happening that was on 4th May...
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Great.. Thankyou for he updates... Let's hope we don't see anymore failed recordings and if so please report... 😊🤞
Highlighted
Popular Poster
thanks for the update if only some MUX transmitters and not all suppose if connects to different MUX it's why one say works and another doesn't.

that is great news to us all on here we are near Norwich so not Crystal Palace transmitter. Will have to say and see thanks for the link to the thread will check it out. May be a light at the end of the gloomy tunnel lol.fingers crossed
customer of TalkTalk
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @aaron_1984 

Have you read the announcement fully as they have now applied this fix to all transmitters !!

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Highlighted
Popular Poster
no not yet looked at the youview forum and was going off other post that trail with Crystal Palace. Thanks will check and monitor. The Mrs will be happy if recording work! 🙂 Thanks
customer of TalkTalk
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @aaron_1984 

It's also pinned to the top of this page to keep it simple !!

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Highlighted
Popular Poster

I don't want to talk too soon as intermittent... but touching everything wood lol    all records ok for 3/4 days so could be found the issue and resolved.     ....only took about half a year!  cheers all and hope everyone is ok now too.

customer of TalkTalk