cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

TalkTalk TV 2.0 Next Gen Trials

12 REPLIES
Community Team

Hey Everybody,

In case you haven't heard, our Trials Team are running a trial of the Next Gen software for the Youview TV box.

The new software looks great, gives a new clean layout and is really easy to use.

Check out our TV Trials 2.0 Section for more info :)

Also, check out Rob's Blog for an update on how our product team have been working to bring you an even better TV experience, and a sneak peek at what's to come :)

Karl.

corky100
Conversation Starter
I applied last week for the trial. Any word on when it begins?
joe942
Chatterbox

If I were you I would try and avoid getting the update to the tv operating system.  It's far worse than the existing or older version especially for viewing recordings.

For example if you watch the Come dine with me series it's possible over a few days to have recorded 50 episodes of this series.

When you wish to watch a set of five episodes which makes up one show you have to spend lots of time looking for the right episode by scolling backwards and forwards.

Then when you have watched an episode you are put right back to the main heading and you have to scroll through 50 episodes again to find the one that you have watched so you can delete it.

Then you are put back to the main heading again and you have to scroll back through 49 episodes to find the next one to watch.  It's so laborious.

In the "old" version when you have watched an episode it stays with that one and you are able to delete it and the next episode is then highlited for you to choose and watch.

Whoever has written the software has never tested it.

There should be some choice about keeping the old tried and trusted version instead of the disappointing newer "Upgrade"

Peregrine
Wise Owl

Are there any plans to introduce a new box as the current one simply isn't up to the job. Try running iPlayer on one of the streaming sticks that are available and compare it to the experience you get on a TalkTalk TV box.

fisherjim
Team Player

Quite agree the talktalk box is basically a poorly designed laggy box you definitely would buy out of choice!

AlanPattle
Popular Poster

As part of the trial, we have been using the next gen TV system. 

We have so far not received any repsonses to the issues reported via the SCOUT system and things are still causing issues. Is there anyway to find out if any progress has been made on these issues? 

The most recent is the YouView box "hanging" after coming out of watching a recored program. The box refuses to respond to the remote. Initially we switched it all off and restarted but have now found that if you wait a few minutes it will respond again. It is as if the box is busy doing something before it gets rounf to reponding (like a busy PC does).

This is very annoying but seaching the community seems to be a known issue. Surely this should have been fixed in the new software?

I would be grateful for a response as it is happening more regularly and spoiling the TV experience.

Thanks

Holly B
Conversation Starter
Hi Alan,

If you PM me your landline number or trials reference, I can look into why you have not received any response from the trials team on the issues you've raised. We are currently working with YouView to find a fix for these issues. We will let trialists know once we have a new software version available for them to trial.

Thanks, Holly
Olliedog
Team Player

I don't think that I am an official trialist but I did receive a You View software update a few weeks ago.  I say "update" because I don't consider it an "upgrade."  I far prefer the old software.  Since the update, the YouView box response to remote control key presses is slower. It sometimes requires several presses of the button to get any response at all - just as though the remote has become faulty or has a near flat battery - neither is the case.  I don't find the thumbnail pictures on the "My VIew" screens at all helpful - I much prefer the listings.  Most of all I am really annoyed that when using the EPG there is no longer a small screen showing the ongoing current programme.  Can the update be reversed please?

Olliedog
gwatuk
Enlightened One

OCE_Karl wrote:

Also, check out Rob's Blog for an update on how our product team have been working to bring you an even better TV experience, and a sneak peek at what's to come :)

Karl.

Any chance of an update in Rob's Blog? 

burgasleer
Team Player

Hey Karl,

I signed up for this trial back in November but never heard back (I did chase by email, but no response). My box is the DN372T, any ideas if I will be added to the trial or if finished when the new update will be pushed to my box?

Many thanks,

mrwrighty
Wizz Kid

I'm not a triallist, but judging by the comments here, I do not want the upgrade.

1. I want the small TV picture top right whilst looking for programs.

2. The box is already sluggish, I don't want it slowed down further by this update.

3. The recorded programs section is important. Thumbnails are of no use. You should not have to scroll through multiple recordings each time you delete something.

4. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

prescol
Enlightened One

We have lost a very useful  feature.  Previously when you pressed information you had settings  Record and record it HD.  But the one I miss the most is,  other episodes  available.  Please can we have that feature back.   As a visually impaired person I found that  feature very very useful . 

Prescol

I'm no expert, i'm just a guy!
merivaman
Super Duper Contributor

I too have been getting a problem that after watching a programme for a while, I find that the TV box does not respond to the remote.  The only buttons that work are the volume buttons and the power button.  The only way to get back to normal is to do a reboot via power off at the back of the box, then power on followed by button on the front left.

I have been a TT customer for over five years and never had this problem until I became a trialist for V2 software.  I have just had the problem twice in three days.