Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TalkTalk TV 'Access' Charge Opt-Out

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Chat Champion

I have just received my letter informing me of the new £4 'Access' Charge for TalkTalk TV commencing, for me, on 8th February.

Like most customers, I feel this to be a sneaky way to increase revenue as TalkTalk cannot increase my basic broadband package whilst I am within contract. I have been a loyal TV customer since about 2012, but not for much longer.

I currently have Sky Sports on offer at £8.50 per month for eighteen months. The eighteen months end on 19th February, when I would have gone onto the normal full price for Sky Sports.

My next bill will be for the period 8th February to 7th March and so I formally give notice that I wish to opt out of the TV package from 19th February, meaning cancellation of my Sky Sports Boost and so a pro-rata charge of around £3.64 for said boost on my next bill. Similarly, the Access Charge Opt-Out will take effect on the same day (19th February), so adding a further pro-rata charge of around £1.71. Please ensure that I retain my Sky Sports Boost until the cancellation date of 19th February. I am not prepared to pay a full month of both (new) Boost cost and access charge only to have it credited back on the next bill in March!

On 19th February I will be removing my TalkTalk Youview box and replacing it with an (already bought) Freeview receiver/recorder box. Bye Bye Youview.

I imagine that a lot of TalkTalk Youview boxes are going to soon be on ebay!

After around seven years with TalkTalk Tv, this is really a sad day. But there is no getting away from the fact that this 'Access' Charge is abhorrent. What would you say if the supermarket where you usually shop, suddenly adds a £4 fee to your monthly shopping bill as an 'Access' charge to the store?

This is why so many customers are furious and talkTalk will lose customers.

Please confirm that the requested action on my account has been taken.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Tim

Highlighted
First Timer

Just a small pointer for anyone else looking at this topic who is also removing TV from their account because of this charge, you did not need to go and buy another standalone box. The talktalk one will continue to work as a freeview recorder box without the TV package. I take mine to the caravan on holiday and it works fine even without internet access. I believe the only thing you need an active talktalk broadband connection for would be a software update. The EPG updates over the Ariel so you still have a programme guide.

Highlighted
Community Star

@Drzed  You are right up to a point, you certainly don't need another box if you want to continue using it as a PVR if you already have a recording box. For catch up players and so on it will of course need an internet connection, as it will do to connect to the YouView servers which since the latest upgrades are managed in the cloud. 

Highlighted
First Timer

Sorry to be a pain. Im new to forums and can’t find exactly what I can do / watch if I remove the charge. I’ve done live chat with advisors and I’m even more confused!!!
I have a basic Broadband, phone & TV account.
I have no tv boosts nor buy movies.
But I do use the Youview box for free view TV channels, use EPG guide, catch up tv via players & recording live tv. Can I do any or all of these?
I have a smart tv which can do most of the above anyway but prefer they layout of Youview and the TV guide (epg) for 7 day viewing & recording. Any one tell me what I will loose on cancelling please?
Freeview Tv
7 day EPG/tv guide
Players / catch up tv
Recording live tv?
Many thanks

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi @mctdar

I can opt you out of the upcoming TV charge but I'll need to confirm some security details to access your account.  I'll send a PM separately with the info required.

As the TV charge does not come into effect until February you can retain your sports boost and I'll arrange for this to stay until the 19th.  You must however remove the boost via My Account on or before the end date of the offer or after this, the £4 charge would then be applied.

Thanks

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted

Hi @Vickyt

If you start your own thread, I'll answer all your questions 🙂

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi Karl,

I have replied to your private message with all details. 

Thank you. 

Tim

Highlighted

Hi mctdar

I've processed this request for you.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your help. 

Just to reply to a previous post, I am aware that I can still use my Youview box independently, but I am taking this ‘opportunity ‘ to have a complete change and have now got a Humax (non-Youview) model. 

Thanks for all advice though.