cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

TalkTalk TV - Share Your Ideas!

Visionman
Wizz Kid

ferguson>

''Seriously, I imagine it will come at some stage. But bear in mind the issues people have generally with multicast TV you can only imagine them becoming greater as the service standard becomes more demanding. Having said that, we are very much constrained by the 19th century infrastructure over which Openreach expect to enable and deliver a 21st century product.''

Actually, TalkTalks network is nothing to do with Openreach, as its YouView Content Delivery Network was built exclusively for TalkTalk by Alcatel-Lucent -

https://www.telegeography.com/products/commsupdate/articles/2010/10/21/talktalk-and-alcatel-lucent-d...

ferguson
Community Star

Yeah, but it still needs the old GPO copper wire to make it into your home.  :smileywink:

Visionman
Wizz Kid

Too true and thats the way its going to remain. Even Virgins service is cable to the CAB only.

fre55die
Community Star
Visionman
I said that I had heard a rumour that BT may be adopting it as a player, I know YV don't compete but BT,TT and I believe Plusnet do. The reviews of the T4000 are pretty mixed on the John Lewis site though !!
If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Visionman
Wizz Kid

Sorry, fre55die, I don't know what you mean by 'adopting'.

fre55die
Community Star
Hi visionman
In the same way that TT supply the DN372T to customers.
I can't see them necessarily supplying it to everybody but possibly for an additional charge for customers on specific contracts.
If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Visionman
Wizz Kid

''In the same way that TT supply the DN372T to customers.
I can't see them necessarily supplying it to everybody but possibly for an additional charge for customers on specific contracts.''

fre55die, a T4000 is already a BT supplied box, at no extra charge, along with two other models on offer.

Highlighted
fre55die
Community Star

@Visionman

I don't consider paying nearly £850 a year for a service WITHOUT sports, music or kiddies add ons a particularly "budget" supplier!!!!, if it were not that I am planning to move premises shortly I am pretty sure that I should possibly move supplier. This was posted in a suggestions post so I find this relevant to myself and probably a few thousand other members

fre55die
Community Star
Visionman
My road and the whole area around here have fibre to each house individually, little brown access points and whole streets dug up to install it!!
RazzOne
Wizz Kid

I agree with many suggestions like Youtube, Multi-Room, Windows phone 8/Windows 10 apps but there is one very annoying thing I would like improving and that is the Sound Difference Between HD Channels and SD Channels. I know this has been talked about many times before with developers saying it can’t be corrected but the likes of Kodi (Free) and Plex can do it and every other PVR on the planet so why can’t TalkTalk get it right???

Visionman
Wizz Kid

The sound difference, volume and format encodings between SD & HD broadcasts are set by the broadcaster and are nothing to do with the receiver (box). And dispite your assertion, all boxes suffer from the problem, including those on satellite and cable. Its to do with compression differencies between different encodings, say, PLII (SD stereo) and Dolby Digital/+ (5.1 surround sound) on differnet SD & HD channels and theres nothing they can do about it.

Annoying isn't it.

ferguson
Community Star

Visionman wrote:

Annoying isn't it.

YESSS!!  Or yes. Depending.  :smileywink:

Adam07
Conversation Starter
Didn't it used to do this? And now it doesn't. Maybe i'm wrong but i'm sure it used to change automatically unless you cancelled it, now it doesn't change over unless you tell it to.
Adam07
Conversation Starter

I'd like a 'you may also like/discover' search function like the one they removed on the last update. I.e. You'd look at the home category and it would bring up a load of shows. i found a load of good shows I didn't know where on that way. It was really useful to be able to browse stuff you may have missed. Now search is only any good if you know what you are searching for.

hawkeye1
Popular Poster

Hello, I'm new to the service. I must be one of the lucky ones to have a trouble free box, although this is my second unit after the first one arrived faulty.  I'm not sure how much an engineer visit costs, but when it is obvious a new box is required, why not just send a box out?

I have the 2.0 software and I'm very impressed. No lag experienced when moving between menues or within the guide, all the apps load reasonably quickly and appear to be running smoothly. I quite like the Mytv section for recordings, I know some don't, but it works logically for me. We really do need the ability to record more than one boost chanel at a time.  Picture quality on the sky channels is acceptable, but the rest is a bit hit and miss, perhaps its time to offer HD.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @hawkeye1

I echo your request for ability to record 2 internet streams at once, subject to customers having a fast enough broadband speed to handle this.

With Virgin having a 6 channel recording box and Sky soon to offer the same and future competition with all of their TV channels on broadband I hope TalkTalk can come up with a competitive offer.

It would be great to have HD movies but the deal struck with Sky is for SD.  Whether this is all Sky would offer or whether it's down to the price TalkTalk would pay?

Gondola - I'm a TVPlus customer * Try TalkTalk CallSafe to stop scam calls
ferguson
Community Star

I am sure I read somewhere that Sky would only allow SD content of their Cinema channels, this is borne out by the fact that BT also do not carry these on their YouView service. Other channels could of course be made available in HD subject to minimum speed requirements and, presumably, a price premium.

Visionman
Wizz Kid

Only Sky Sports 1&2 are available in HD as they were subject to Ofcoms WMO (Wholesale Must Offer). WMO has since been withdrawn, but with a warning that if Sky played funny *@#][!![]'#[@#]!* with any platform that wanted it/them, they would step in again immediately.

But I'm not aware TT are planning to offer an HD option period, as thats not their target market. And facts and stats back up that up. 

prescol
Enlightened One

Is there any chance of more catch up TV .  For example from the UKTV network, Gold and Watch ?

It would also be nice to see the IP channels  on demand tv programs on the TV guide like the freeview channels. 

I'm no expert, i'm just a guy!
ferguson
Community Star

@prescol Not sure what you mean there, the UKTV Player is already available on YouView providing on demand content from their FTA channels i.e. Dave, Drama, Really and Yesterday. Gold etc. are only available via subscription services.