cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

TalkTalk TV - Share Your Ideas!

stevebrum74
Wizz Kid

The ability to add my own apps IE plex or Kodi, also smart control intergration.

I have an Amazon Echo, and ''she'' can control comcast TV boxes, so it would be brilliant to say ''alexa record sky1 at 3pm'' and the youview box does it.

(yeah i know im reaching here)

Also to be able to record two boosts at once.

Also for certain FTA satellite broadcasts IE Bloomberg or CNNHD to be IP broadcast.

Eurosport or even Eurosport player would be great.

Amazon TV (or prime i cant remember its exact name)

Making the boxes wifi enabled

Bigger hard drives so we could have a 1 or even 2TB talk talk box

Maybe even a interrupted record feature (skyQ will automatically carry on recording in the event of a power failure, once power has been restored *assuming what you're recording is still being transmitted*)

The ability to brighten or dim the LED lights at the front of the box as we choose.

hawkeye1
Popular Poster

I also use Amazon Echo and would like this functionality. It is an open system so it's really up to TalkTalk to develop this 'skill' for the Echo.

I think that increasing the hard disk size is a reasonable ask, however, long term I suspect they'll move recordings to the cloud

ferguson
Community Star

Yo @fre55die how you doing bud? Has your telly not got a USB socket on it to do what you're asking? YouView is never going to be an open media server, try plugging your USB content into the back of a Sky box, or Virgin box etc. see how you get on. There are a myriad ways to deal with this stuff, but sadly the one-box-to-do-it-all is likely to remain a fantasy.

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @ferguson
The main 2 do, but I use a video sender to the guest room which has a TV without a USB so when guests stay it would be a bonus. My Sony pvr (at least 10 years old) has a USB port which I can connect a hard drive to but that's all wired up to my home cinema system and in my bedroom !!!

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
fre55die
Community Star
Hi @ferguson
It's the same with the NOW TV box in that room has USB AND Card reader both disabled !! WHY ??
If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
ferguson
Community Star

fre55die wrote:

Hi @ferguson
The main 2 do, but I use a video sender to the guest room which has a TV without a USB so when guests stay it would be a bonus. My Sony pvr (at least 10 years old) has a USB port which I can connect a hard drive to but that's all wired up to my home cinema system and in my bedroom !!!

Old school, nice one. But just when you think you have it sorted along comes the latest tech. Or selling you new stuff more like, what can you do?  :smileywink:

ferguson
Community Star

fre55die wrote:
Hi @ferguson
It's the same with the NOW TV box in that room has USB AND Card reader both disabled !! WHY ??

Ah, there is a different story. NOW TV from Sky is available on various devices. The box they market is a variant of Roku, in which Sky have a stake. But while Roku devices are open to many content providers and, in some cases, have open USB ports for external media players, the NOW TV versions do not. But when you can generally buy one for less than the price of the content, that's the score. In the immortal phrase: You pay your money, you take your choice.

fre55die
Community Star
Hi @ferguson
Yup the last one that I bought for £19 included a 6 month entertainment pass which includes a lot more than the SKY etc. catch up/box sets on TT plus 11 live channels AND I can use it on up to 4 devices !!
Visionman
Wizz Kid

hawkeye1 wrote:

I also use Amazon Echo and would like this functionality. It is an open system so it's really up to TalkTalk to develop this 'skill' for the Echo.

One already can hawkeye. See here -

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/amazon-echo-control-of-youview-box?topic-reply-list%5Bs...

hawkeye1
Popular Poster
Thanks, I'll give this a go
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @hawkeye1

Just a heads up on the costs front that Visionman didn't forewarn you about.

Amazon Echo does not control a YouView box directly.
Amazon Echo will control a programmable Harmony remote control that will control the YouView box.

The cost of a Smart Home programmable Harmony remote control is upwards of £150.

Gondola - I'm a PlusTV customer *
hawkeye1
Popular Poster
Yeah, I noticed that, there are other products that do something similar, unfortunately all with a price to match. This would be a great addition to the service. Imagine if Talktalk got this working before Sky?
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @hawkeye1

To be of real value you do need a programmable remote so you can get it to carry out multiple key-press functions in response to your spoken Alexa commands. 

I just don't see TalkTalk, BT or Sky providing a programmable remote as standard. Possibly as an extra purchase from the shop.

The functionality is best provided by the aftermarket suppliers like Logitech in response to customer demand.

PS: You've got me thinking a bit more about using spoken commands as a remote control. 

The TalkTalk TV Planner app runs on a smartphone and has a two-way interface to the YouView box via the router.  My Freesat box has a smartphone TV Planner app with a remote control facility.  It therefore seems quite feasible to develop a smartphone app for YouView that works like a cut-down version of Alexa and that uses macros to drive a full feature remote control in addition to the record scheduling features it has already.  This would substantially undercut the cost of a full feature Alexa box and Harmony Elite remote control package although would be YouView box control only.

So, clever you. You got me thinking that the improbable may be possible!

fre55die
Community Star

Hi Gondola

I love Harmony remotes AND by just going through the extremely strenuous task of pressing ONE button on my remote it turns on whichever source I choose, (if I press the one which I have programmed it to do) It also switches on the TV and the home cinema to the correct configuration at the same time, unfortunately it won't find the correct Bluray disc from my shelves and load it into player though, although it will bring up the music and entertainment libraries on my computer .

If TT have money splashing about to develop an app to launch an app to connect to a third party app based software they should spend it on solving the box freezing problem.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @fre55die

So sorry to see your box problems persist. I'm sure Holly or Rob will arrange a box swap if your patience wears out. 

As to the costs of developing, implementing and bug fixing the YouView Next Gen and associated smartphone app, these fall not just to TalkTalk but the YouView partners together. 

I bought my family a Harmony Elite cost £150 (now £280 at full retail) and it is a very nice piece of kit. The Amazon Echo is around £150. So an outlay of £300 to £430.  Fine if you've already got those products; you can control your TV and YouView box and a host of other smart home devices.  And whilst you may control a smart toaster, it doesn't slice the bread, load the toaster or spread the marmalade!  As you point out.

In discussion with @hawkeye1 My initial thought was that to implement a voice driven remote control, as is done for the disabled, would be way too costly for the mass market and is best left to the aftermarket.

However, if demand exists for a voice driven smartphone app remote control as an enhancement to the YouView Planner app it would definitely be suited for the mass market.

Now, back to my Smart Home... "Hey Alexa, where's my toast?"  "If you'd like toast you'll have to load Mr Toastie. Just a reminder that SmartFridge has ordered the marmalade but the store was out of stock.  Would you prefer porridge instead?"

"Hey Alexa, tell me something good about life" "Hey, when life trips us up, there are always new possibilities."

Visionman
Wizz Kid

''If TT have money splashing about to develop an app to launch an app to connect to a third party app based software they should spend it on solving the box freezing problem.''

They are.

Sorry Alexa...

fre55die
Community Star
Hi Visionman I know that they are working on it but, it seems to be taking a very long time.
AlanPattle
Popular Poster

I would like an Amazon Prime app. Just like the Netflix app.

That would be great

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @hawkeye1

The Sky Q remote has a hidden black button, currently inactive, but will be used to activate voice commands when the feature launches at an unspecified time.

Sky hasn’t revealed a full list of the exact actions you can make using voice commands.

So, speech activated remote controls in a mainstream market are closer than I thought.

Hey Alexa, you have competition!  "Hey, bring it on..."

hawkeye1
Popular Poster
Looks like there's going to be plenty of options as Google have announced that Google home will be integrated into their TV products