would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TalkTalk Youview Box issue.

27 REPLIES 27
DarthMozza
Participant

Hi All

I have just joined TalkTalk and my broadband is due to go live on the 7th Aug and my TV on the 14th.

My router and youview box arrived today so I thought I would set it up,tune it in ready and so I could use it as a freeview recorder.

I plugged it all in and went through the set up process and all seemed good.

The issue is on my TV settings it says my signal strength is excellent and picture quality is excellent but through the youview box my signal strength is only 38%.

I had a brand new High Gain digital aerial installed last week and a new amplifier/splitter and I know it's all working as the tv in my living room and bedroom through the aerial both state excellent strength etc but through the youview box it drops massively.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as im not sure why thus is happening.

Thanks in advance

DM aka James

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @DarthMozza

On the TalkTalk TV Box are there any TV channels tuned in at the 800 plus channel range? You may find alternative region programmes there.  Check Channel 3, 103 and 803 to see what itv region(s) have been tuned in. 

Having a really high gain antenna can pull in signals from TV transmitters out of area. Around 40% signal strength or so is the tuning threshold.  So, your TV Box may have tuned in the wrong transmitter.  Either that or there is a fault in the front-end tuner or connecting cable.

If the signal strength is too strong there is an antenna engineer's trick.  It's to use an aerial attenuator to reduce the signal strength presented to the TV Box.  If it is the too-strong issue then placing an attenuator in the lead to the TV Box will reduce the overall strength so the wanted transmitter channels are tuned in.

You may have to retune without an antenna lead connected to clear out all existing tuning settings and then retune again using the attenuator. Once tuned in correctly, remove the attenuator.  Recheck signal strength. 

Use the Digital UK website and put in your post code to see what transmitters are available to you. 

If you're using the antenna out facility of the TalkTalk TV Box then select YouView / Menu on the remote go to Settings > Picture & Sound and select antenna out On.

Gondola - Community support team

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

DarthMozza
Participant

Thanks for the advice,

I have checked 3 which is ITV Meridian,103 is The HD version and I have nothing in the 800s as my channels stop mid 700s.

I also checked 1 which is BBC South East and 101 is the HD version.

Everything seems fine and tuned in correctly,I just can't understand why my Youview box is giving me less signal strength than my TV.

I must admit I'm a tad confused 🤔

Highlighted
DarthMozza
Participant

Also do you think it's possible I might have a faulty box ??????????

Gondola
Community Star

Hi DarthMozza

How are the antenna signals getting to the TV? Separate antenna cable or is it from the antenna out from the TalkTalk TV Box?  I just need to understand how each device gets its antenna signal.

If the TV antenna cable is a separate cable from the new antenna and or distribution system then, as that signal is known to be strong, plug that into the TV Box, retune and see what the strength of BBC One (1) and BBC One HD (101) are then. I assume you've got the output of the TV Box available to the TV via an HDMI cable.

And yes, it's possible that the tuner is faulty and if so the box will be replaced.

DarthMozza
Participant

Hi Again

I have the aerial cable going direct to the youview box then another aerial lead from the box going to the tv,the box itself also has the HDMI direct to the tv.

If I put my TV on dtv source and check the signal it's strength and picture quality are both excellent,

Then when I go to HDMI 1 which is the youview box and check signal it's around 37-38% on pretty much all channels.

I am a tad worried I do admit.

Thank you so kindly for your help so far,I even phoned TalkTalk customer services today and the chap just did not understand what I was on about 😕

How would one go about getting this sorted without having to call back the dreaded customer services.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @DarthMozza

To check the antenna signal strength at the TalkTalk TV Box:

• Select HDMI1 on the TV to see the output of the TalkTalk TV Box
  • Press 1 to select Channel 1 on the TalkTalk TV Box
  • Press Youview or Menu on the TalkTalk TV Box remote
  • Scroll right to Settings, press OK
  • Scroll right to TV Signal Quality
  • What's the Signal Strength and Signal Quality?

DarthMozza
Participant

I have done exactly as you have just said and signal strength is 37% and picture quality is 100 %.

If I check the exact same channel in DTV mode on my TV signal strength is Excellent and signal quality comes up as excellent as well.

I hope this helps

James

Gondola
Community Star

...and the picture quality on the tv screen viewing channels from the TV Box is ok?

DarthMozza
Participant

Its a bit scratchy and pixelated sometimes but that does depepnd on what channel you are on.

Gondola
Community Star

OK. I asked because at 38% strength I'd expect the picture to be very pixellated if not very broken up on all channels.

I've escalated to the TalkTalk Help & Support Team and I expect they'll arrange an exchange TV Box maybe delivered by a BrightSparks engineer who will be able to check out the setup.

Please ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your TalkTalk landline phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and save changes. The TalkTalk Community support OCE will then be able to link to your TalkTalk service account.

DarthMozza
Participant

Thank you ever so kindly for all your help my good chap,its so very much appreciated.

regards

James

Community Team

Hi DarthMozza

Does the signal strength show the same if you try it at both aerial locations ?

As the services have not gone 'live' as yet I'm unable to replace any equipment or arrange engineers etc as your account will not allow me to interact with these sections.  If you do want to get this sorted quicker, you will have to call in and have our Customer teams look at this with our provisioning teams.

Thanks

Karl. 

DarthMozza
Participant

Hi Karl

I shall try the box upstairs and get back to you and let you know the results as soon as i can,

i dont mind waiting for you to sort it through here as if i am honest i lost the will to live yesterday on the phone to customer services,the chap just did not seem to understand what i was trying to tell him.

Thanks for all your help and advice

James

DarthMozza
Participant

Hi Karl

I tried the box upstairs on a different aerial port and its exactly the same im afraid.

It still showing signal strength as 38% when the tv is showing it full.

I have to admit i do find this strange.

Kind Regards

James

Community Team

Hi

Ok.  Let me know when your service is 'live' and we can swap out the box for another and see if this shows the correct signal strength.

Thanks

Karl. 

DarthMozza
Participant

Hi Karl

Thank you and I shall let you know once it's all gone live.

Regards

James

DarthMozza
Participant

Hi Karl

The Broadband and TV has now gone live,my box did an update but I'm still having this signal strength issue.

Where should we go from here.

Kind Regards

James

Community Team

Hi James

A box is on the way so we can swap these over, and see if the signal strength improves.

Thanks

Karl. 

DarthMozza
Participant

Hi Karl

Very much appreciated and thank you so kindly.

Kindest Regards

James