cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Talktalk set top box giving pixalation and poor picture quality

26 REPLIES
Yorkshire Lad
Chatterbox

This appears to be a common issue so sorry for repeating but nothing ever happens.

Viewing my Sony TV direct (not through the set top box) picture quality is fantastic.

Viewing through the Talktalk set top box is unwatchable. Bright coloured pixalation and picture break up on all channels. Anything I record to watch later is rubbish. (ha...and I am paying for this !!!!! )

My set up is arial enters Set Top box directly....and then loops to TV.

Is it that the set top boxes are cheap and the reciever is rubbish?

My tv is 3 months old and cost lots.....and is totally spoiled by Talktalk set top box.

What is the answer to this.....can I buy a better box from Talktalk which I will gladly do as I am sick and tired of this issue. I have tried re tuning....setting reciever areas differently...nothing helps.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Yorkshire Lad

The strength of signal required by the TV might be less than that required by the YouView tuner or the YouView box might not be tuned to the right transmitter.

You're Yorkshire eh? So if you are living in that part of the world you might have a choice of transmitters from NorthWest or North regions. Is BBC1 regional news on Channel 1 exactly the same on the TV on its own tuner as via the HDMI input from the YouView box?

First check the signal strength and quality.  YouView expect the signal strength reading to be above 50%.  I personally aim higher to ensure error-free viewing even when the transmission strength is reduced for maintenance.

Select BBC1 then select Youview Menu and go to Settings / TV Signal Quality

What does it say the Strength and Quality is?  Strength needs to be preferably over 50%  and quality preferably 100%.

Gondola - I'm a PlusTV customer *
Yorkshire Lad
Chatterbox

Hi. I have gone through the signal strength on variuos channels and get perfect 100% on both quality and strength ON MY TV.

BUT........when I do the same through the TalkTalk Youview box, the signal strength is well below 100% and on some channels as low as 58%. It appears to vary as you sit looking at it. It is not a stable reading. Signal quality thouigh is in the 90%'s.

So.....whats the answer....remedy.....solution. because the effect is paralysing our recordings.

Thanks for the help

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Yorkshire Lad

It points towards the YouView box not being tuned to the correct transmitter. The TV is correctly tuned. You've got a really good signal strength from the antenna from the correct transmitter but probably a moderate strength from an alternate transmitter.

So carry out a retune of the YouView box. Remove the antenna from the YouView box and retune. Go to Settings / TV Channels / Retune Channels. That'll find nothing of course but it'll clear out the existing tuned channels.

Then put the antenna lead back in to the YouView box and retune.

Hopefully, it will now tune in to the strongest signals.

If not, it'll require a bit of trickery involving an attenuator (6dB should be ok) to put inline in the antenna cable and do the same as the above.  That will reduce the weaker signals even more below the tuning threshold level and the wanted signals will get tuned in correctly. Once they are the attenuator is removed (it's just there to help in tuning) and you're good to go.

Yorkshire Lad
Chatterbox

Thank you Gondola.

Tried your suggestion. No luck I am afraid.

We have 3 regions to choose from....Yorkshire, York........North East.....and Yorkshire Leeds.

Tried all 3 and Yorkshire York is best but still pixalating and down to 72% strength.

Must be the crappy Talktalk box.

Are there others on the market I can buy from PC WORLD.

Whats the best.....cos it aint Talktalk.

Thanks

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Yorkshire Lad

It's always possible that the tuner is faulty and if so a call to customer services and a request for a replacement box will see it replaced. Tel: 0345 172 0088 8am to 8pm.

But usually, it is because the tuning process has got the wrong channels tuned in and that's very easy to do in locations like yours where there's a multiplicity of transmitters providing coverage to the surrounding area.

Have a look at the 800+ range of channels - are there any tuned in there?  That's where alternate transmitter signals get located when there's more than one regional service available.

Yorkshire Lad
Chatterbox

Thanks Gondola.

I had a look at 800+ when I was tuning and they were not as good as 1, 2, 3 etc. In fact ITV is the worst. Interestingly HD are even worse than non HD.

I'll get hold of Talktalk but experience tells me a long phone call with little action.

Cheers mate

ferguson
Community Star

Some tuners are more sensitive than others, if you have a recording box it will have twin tuners also which is more demanding than the typical TV tuner. Also, there is not a universal standard for measuring signals so the fact that your TV may show one set of figures and your box another is not necessarily an issue.

What is concerning is if your signal quality on the box drops below 100%, ever, that is what will cause pixellation and dropouts and affect your recordings. Signal strength at between 58% and 78% with the odd fluctuation is fine and the latter figure is in fact quite high by YouView standards.

Overall I concur with Gondola, your proximity to competing transmitters may mean that you are getting so-called side signals creating inteference. You may want to do an address check here to find what the best transmitter is for your area, mindful of which ones carry the full range of HD channels also: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/about_the_coverage_checker

AxKing1
Popular Poster

I am also suffering from the problem of recording a channel which is pixilated.  In my case specifically my Youview box shows 2 channels for BBC1 namely Yorkshire, my home channel & NE & Cumbria & when my recordings are pixilated the randomly used channel is NE & Cumbria, under the previous version of firmware one was able to hide channels but with the new firmware this facility has been removed.

I understand, after reading other topics on this website, that the 'hide channel facility' is to be reintroduced .  The moment can't come soon enough!

Victormeldrew666
Wise Owl

I found with mine the problem was a poor hdmi cable.

Local sainsburys had a 2m hdmi cable on offer for a fiver. Fixed my issue.

Worth a try before buying an expensive new box.

ferguson
Community Star

@Victormeldrew666 Replacing a HDMI cable fixed your tuning problems? Do expand.

Victormeldrew666
Wise Owl

The signal from the set top box is delivered to the tv by hdmi cable (or were you unaware of this?).

The poor quality cable supplied was the cause of awful reception.

Once replaced reception was fine. (Picture and sound quality)

The aeriel lead is only needed from box to tv if you want to watch stuff using the inbuilt tuner in your tv (enable passthrough in box settings to do that).

I am NOT advocating people buying expensive leads which will make very little difference when compared to ones that cost very little.

ferguson
Community Star

No, not all, I am aware of how this works and your suggestion is one that should often be considered. I was just wondering why you mentioned it here and confused how swapping HDMI cables might stop the preceeding poster's box from recording the "wrong" channel.

omendata
Wizz Kid

All of these boxes have poor quality tuners from the DN370T to the DN372T its obvious when you open them up and check out the shielding , heat dissipation and poor quality components on the board.

The strange thing is that the recent software upgrade has also affected my reception on an older DN370T box so the software is also to blame something which i wouldnt have expected.

Yorkshire Lad
Chatterbox

So in a nutshell....Talktalk set top boxes/software....are Rubbish.

Answer.....HELLO SKY....COME ON IN.

ferguson
Community Star

Yorkshire Lad wrote:

So in a nutshell....Talktalk set top boxes/software....are Rubbish.

Answer.....HELLO SKY....COME ON IN.

What a strange conclusion. But off you go to Sky, enjoy their prices.

djcowlin
Wizz Kid

I've noticed this too over the past few days. HD channels are, bizarrely, fine, but SD channels report low signal quality and show pixellation. A couple of evenings ago this made them unwatchable.

Community Team
djcowlin
Wizz Kid

Thanks, Karl. I've done that but it hasn't solved the problem completely. I'll see how I get on.

Community Team

Hi

If you have a freeview Tv, connect the aerial directly to that and see if any channels are affected.  This can help test aerial issues or transmitter issues.

Thanks

Karl.