Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Need help?

Talktalk tv not working on samsung smart tv , just black screen

19 REPLIES
Jimmy571
First Timer

Really glad I invested in buying films from Talk Talk....won't be making that mistake again πŸ™€

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Jimmy571

Do you mean you're really glad you invested in a Samsung TV that Samsung aren't supporting with today's apps?  But you can get around the lack of Samsung support with Chromecast.

The main viewing option for TalkTalk TV content is always intended to be the TalkTalk TV Box but if you're not a TalkTalk customer then the TalkTalk TV content has always been supported by Chromecast. So, content on the web, android or iOS devices can be cast to Chromecast connected to your Samsung TV and viewed as normal. 

Here's the advice on supported devices (Click here)

Gondola - I'm a TVPlus customer *
Jimmy571
First Timer

That's the sort of smartar*e answer Stephen that looses you customers.  This didn't happen overnight and yet no one from Talk Talk TV warned me that I was buying movies that I possibly wouldn't be able to watch at a future date.  I will be spending my money on HD movies in the future Stephen, but sadly not with your company.  Next time consider how clever you are and  then think how the customer feels - there were 100 different ways you could have helped me and this wasn't one of them.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Jimmy571

What are the 100 ways you expected to get help?  As I'm a customer I have only this one way via Community of helping you.  TalkTalk TV support is here

There are several ways to watch TalkTalk TV content and those are in the above reply. Take your time to read it.  The Samsung app was only one of the ways of viewing content.

As for other support - The TalkTalk Community support team will return on Monday. Until then the best options for TalkTalk support are LiveChat or Messenger on the MyTalkTalk mobile app (8am to 10pm).

For calls to Customer Service agents from a mobile, call 0203 441 5550. (8am to 8pm) Calls to Customer Services on 0345 172 0088 are free from your TalkTalk phone (8am-8pm) with Technical Support 24/7 every day.

More Help is available from the Help pages with guides, walk-throughs and videos.  If you click on 'Help', top right of the page, then the Help pages will come up with lots of useful advice set out in sections with menus to choose from.

If Chat is available (8am to 10pm) a green Chat Now tab will appear on the right. Click that and click on the blue button, Chat Now, and that will open up a chat session with one of the customer service team.

dobbylovesocks
Team Player

As the website still lists Samsung as a device that supports the app (check it, it's still there!) I suggest you take a screenshot and contact trading standards. As a customer, you purchased these films based upon an agreement that you could watch it on your device. They have changed those terms without warning and are still selling in a misleading manner. This should entitle you to a refund. (You're welcome :) ) 

fre55die
Community Star

Sony and Panasonic regularly stop supporting Apps, so it's hardly surprising that LG and Samsung do too.

It's down to your TV manufacturer NOT TT So complain to them !!!

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
dobbylovesocks
Team Player

Only the person they paid was not samsung or LG, and talktalk are still advertising them as compatible devices, providing customers with false information which may affect their decision whether to purchase or not.....

That's the difference in why it's a TT problem, not samsung or LG. 

Had they said within their sales pitch or their terms that in the future the compatible devices may change, then that's different. But they didn't. Their terms and their website still show this way, even today.

Unfortunately for them, the information presented at time of sale is what counts. 

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @dobbylovesocks

You're a new Community member and the first thing you do is blame TalkTalk but don't offer proof.

Samsung haven't had an app on their new products suppporting TalkTalk TV since 2015. So, I ask you once more to provide a link or screenshot as proof of your assertion that Samsung and TalkTalk are still advertising the products as compatible.

Everything we see says that TalkTalk say and have been saying since 2015 that the Samsung TV's will no longer carry the app for TalkTalk TV and now that Samsung will not allow the older TV's that did have the app to be upgraded.

dobbylovesocks
Team Player

have added the screenshot to the other post.... yes I'm a new user. I found these posts while looking for a solution to my own problem funnily enough. As I've only just come online, I am not avoiding showing proof. I am catching up.

Seeing as others are having similar issues and it's a community post, I'm offering them information I've found. And I suggest they conact trading stanards themselves to discuss their personal circumstances themselves.

It certainly wouldn't make any sense for me to lie.

If they go into their account page, scroll to the bottom and click on compatible devices they will be listed there.

May I ask where talktalk have been saying since 2015 that samsung will no longer carry the app? I know I've been using Samsung and LG all throughout 2015, 2016, 2017 and have only started being denied access last week. As you are saying talktalk have known this was an issue since 2015, they had a duty to remove the device from their list of compatible devices. They didn't and people have continued to purchase on the understanding they could watch on their devices. 

dobbylovesocks
Team Player

And it isn't about 'blaming' talktalk. It's about people getting proper advice from trading standards, with all the facts before they agree to be fobbed off. 

If talktalk is in the clear then they won't mind people getting unbiased advice before losing hundreds of pounds on films they were sold in bad faith imo 

Jimmy571
First Timer

Thanks for this advice - I think that it's really on point and helpful.  I certianly would not have brought films on this platform had I been made aware of the problems between TT and Samsung aboout the App (and the platform used to be 'BlinkBox' I think, so it's something that TT took over and rebranded possiblly).  Most of the advice about alternatives appear to require me to buy some other form of platform first (and I can't make the web access route work at all).  I don't really care whose fault it is - I simply want to have an alternative that puts me where I was before given the investment in purchases I have made without additional cost and /or hastle.  I certainly won't (can't?) be renting any more films via this route so whatever the righst and wrongs, TT has lost a customer and I'm off to Trading Standards.  

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @dobbylovesocks

The screenshot you've proffered is not current.  Where did you obtain that from?

Here's the current TalkTalkTV support advice about Samsung TV apps no longer being supported by Samsung. Click here

Here's a topic I was involved with in early 2017 about Samsung Series 3 models not supporting the TalkTalkTV Store service.  At that time there was a briefing on TalkTalk TV Store about Samsung not supporting the app except for 2011 to 2014 model TV's.

So, it's a pity that Samsung no longer support their 2011 to 2014 models but you can still watch purchased content on all the other supported devices. Click here for supported devices.

dobbylovesocks
Team Player

That's exactly the point  @Jimmy571 :) Make sure you log into your account, scroll to the bottom and click 'watch anywhere' to take a screen shot before they remove it. 

I'm not here to argue with people not offering advice... but in my opinion I think it would be in your best interests to speak with an advisor at trading standards. 

As a consumer, it's not up to you to have to spend more out because they didn't inform you before purchasing, & made changes affecting you.

Good luck! :) 

dobbylovesocks
Team Player

@Gondola

As I stated before, I don't need to convince you at all. I alreaady have my problems being resolved and have everything I need.

But the screenshot you provided was when not logged in. If you log in, scroll down and click 'watch anywhere', you will in fact )yes even today) see the same current screen that I can see, which lists Samsung and LG as compatible. 

It's certainly not my job or responsibilty to remove all links from the website... if Talktalk left even one small message on there, it's on them.....

dobbylovesocks
Team Player

And just a thought.... I know 'new users' aren't necessarily welcomed ( :P ), however, had customer services been helpful in the first place, I wouldn't be here at all.

Just sayin :) 

Gondola
Community Star

@dobbylovesocks

As stated, logged in or logged out I don't see a watch anywhere link.  What's the link address?  I see you've obscured it from your screenshot.

dobbylovesocks
Team Player

@Gondola yes I did..... but don't worry. The ones provided via email to relevant people haven't had anything obscured :) 

I see I can access it using www.talktalktv.co.uk/#/ today, but again only when logged in.

I cannot tell you why yours is different. For me, all that matters is what I can see at the time I handed over my money.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @dobbylovesocks

Noted that you're not willing to provide the link for further troubleshooting. Good luck with your quest outside of Community.  

Your purchased content is still viewable via the TalkTalkTV apps etc.  TalkTalk will continue to provide you with support to view your content whether you're a broadband customer or not.

dobbylovesocks
Team Player

the link is above..... would you like me to take another screenshot now to show that this one works?

dobbylovesocks
Team Player

@Gondola here is another screenshot.... noted that the only thing obscured is my account :)

Please note the date and time in bottom right corner and thank you for wishing me luck on my 'quest'. It's going very smoothly so far :)