Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Think my TV Plus box is faulty!

15 REPLIES 15
smarge1
Popular Poster

I have moved from BT to Talk Talk on the 20th August. I had TV with BT and never had a problem.  Since having the Talk Talk TV plus box plugged in there has been never ending problems watching and recording anything that isn't on HD.  The picture pixelates, scrolls, the signal quality and strength drops in and out and I have to re-scan the box every single day.

The box freezes when watching recordings if they have recorded ok (which most of them don't).

The TV boosts were ok but today they have been not working.  Every time I click on them they say they are not set up and then error codes and then the box says there is a problem with the broadband. There is not a problem with the broadband.

I have looked on here at other peoples problems which are similar to mine and have tried all the appropriate actions i.e factory reset etc. The problem still continues.

I plugged the BT box back in and that works fine. No problem with the signal and the TV's own freeview is clear so I can only conclude that the Talk Talk TV Plus box is faulty.

Can anyone help as this is driving my whole family crazy having to rescan every day.

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @smarge1

Firstly is box directly connected to the router by cable or Power Line Adapters ?

I have escalated this for OCE support for you and they will respond here.

Could you please ensure that your community profile includes your PHONE NUMBER as OCE's will need this to tie up your screen name to your account. (click on your avatar to view the information > Settings > Launch Profile Wizard,put your phone number in box, then scroll to the bottom of page and click save)

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Community Team

Hi smarge1

I'm sorry to hear this.

Is your TV box connected wired or using powerline adapters?

Thanks

Debbie

smarge1
Popular Poster

Thanks for answering.  The box is connected directly to the router.

I look forward to one of the OCE's answering as I have just spent the last hour on line with Technical help and it did not help my problem one bit.  The have said I need to monitor the situation before they will do anything but as I said to them, I have been monitoring it since the 20th August and we cannot stand it anymore but apparently the system will not let them do anything at this moment in time.

smarge1
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

The box is connected directly to the router.

Community Team

Hi smarge1

Thanks for your reply.

I've completed a line test to check the broadband connection. The line test hasn't detected any faults and the speed looks ok.

Is this just affecting freeview channels or are internet channels also affected?

Thanks

Debbie

smarge1
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

It is only the Freeview channels.  We have checked the ariel connection and all is good with that.  The built in freeview with the TV is good and if we plug in our BT youview box that is good too.  It seems to be the Talk Talk Plus box.

I have retuned the channels 3 times since last night and it works for about an hour and then the picture starts pixelating and breaking up again. The technical help chat had me do lots of checks and it was still not working until I retuned it but obviously this is not a good solution as I can't keep retuning the channels everytime I want to watch or record a programme.

Thanks Sarah

Community Team

Hi Sarah

Thanks for your reply.

Can I just finally check the following:

Please can you remove aerial from TV box, retune, connect aerial and retune again?

Are you using an external aerial or an indoor aerial?.

Please can you also check the signal strength. Select a channel that is poor.  From YouView menu choose  SETTINGS > TV SIGNAL QUALITY  Check signal strength is at least 60%.

Thanks

Debbie

smarge1
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the reply.

I carried out all these tests that you have asked for with the Technical help chat earlier today.  Within an hour the channels had started breaking up again.  

I have done it again now and the channels are good and the signal strength is 100% but this will not last long.  The signal strength never goes below 75% which is when it is breaking up and pixelating.

We are using an external ariel but as I stated in my earlier posts, freeview is working on my TV and on our old BT youview box.  It is only the Talk Talk TV Plus box that we are having problems with.

Thanks Sarah

Community Team

Hi Sarah

Thanks for your reply.

I can send a replacement TV box, would you like me to arrange this?

Debbie

smarge1
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie

Yes please. Hopefully it will sort out the problems. Will it be the same as what we have. The recordable box?

Thanks for sorting this out so quickly. I will let you know how we get on when the new box arrives.

Thanks again, Sarah

Community Team

Hi Sarah

The replacement TV Box is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

Freda
Wizz Kid

Hi smarge1,

Out of interest, try selecting a channel that is fine (so an HD one) then unplug the aerial lead from the back of the box. Now put the box into standby using the button on the front, count to 10 and then turn the box on again.

The box will complain there is no signal so now plug the aerial lead back in and select one of the previously broken up channels and see if it now OK.

F.

Community Team

Hi Sarah

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Debbie

smarge1
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for sending the box out so quick. I was waiting to post to see that everything was ok with it. 

So far everything is good. No pixelated channels, no breaking up and the picture and words  are clearer.

The new box seems to have solved my problem.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards Sarah

Community Team

Hi Sarah

That's great news, thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Debbie