would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Unreliable recording of programs

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Royf1
Wizz Kid

I have seen this problem a number of times reported on here but never seen an answer. The talk plus box does not always record and sometimes it starts to record and then stops. I also have a Manhatton box  and so sometimes record the same program on both boxes. The Manhatton box never fails to record.. This is the second Talk plus box and both have had the same fault. My signal strength is 70% and signal quality is 100%. I have swapped the boxes to try and eliminate an aerial fault but its just the same the talk plus box fails and the Manhatton does not. It seems that there is a problem with the talk boxes DN372T. I am thinking that I don't really want to pay for a box that is not stable. 

Highlighted
write2ad
Popular Poster
I have same problem but cant get the TalkTalk people to understand! They just advise me to reset the box but I've done that so many times. Also my remote stops working/freezing and it takes a reset to fix that. Resets takes for ever. I've had just about enough 👹
Highlighted
fre55die
Community Star

Hi @Royf1 

Have you tried a Maintenance Reset option 2 as follows :

Turn the box off, then unplug the power lead for about 10 minutes.

Re-plug in power  lead.

1. Ensure the YouView Box is switched off and is currently connected to the router (the YouView Box will require an internet connection).
  2. Power on YouView using button at the back of the YouView Box.
  3. Start YouView using the power button on the YouView Box front panel and then quickly press and hold both the + and – buttons on the front panel. If you haven’t pressed the buttons together by the time 'YouView Waking Up' is displayed, or you see the 'YouView please wait...' message then try again.
  4. Let go of the + and – buttons once the 'Huawei – Maintenance Mode menu' is displayed.
  5. The + and – buttons on the front panel will navigate the menu. Keep pressing the – button until 2 “factory reset keep recordings” option is highlighted. If you go past the option, simply press the + button to navigate back to the option.
  6. Press the power button on the YouView Box front panel to select the option. This will bring up some information and ask 'Do you want to proceed?'. Press the power button again to confirm.
  7. The YouView Box will now show a progress bar as it downloads software from the internet and installs on the YouView Box. This may take several minutes. Once complete, the YouView Box will restart.
  8. Once the YouView Box restarts, the YouView Box will show the initial setup wizard. You will need to run through the setup wizard including tuning the channels.

You will then need to reset your personal settings (such as parental controls / Antenna Out / Surround Sound etc.) and also reset your scheduled recordings (might be worth taking a note of future recordings before doing this so you don’t miss any).

It is also a good idea to restart your router once you have done this.

Just a thought but, have you tried unplugging the aerial and doing a retune WITHOUT the aerial connected, this will show a warning that no channels found but, will clear any memory. Re-connect the aerial lead and re-tune again.

I'm wondering if it may be down to the massive FREEVIEW re-allocation of channels currently going on. A number of channels appear to be broadcasting on several frequencies simultaneously and as the broadcasters transmit the start/stop instructions to the box this may be the cause if they don't do it on all frequencies.

Is there any pattern to the failed recordings I.E times or channels?

This has been escalated for OCE support so :

IMPORTANT !!!!!!

Could you please ensure that your community profile includes your PHONE NUMBER as OCE's will need this to tie up your screen name to your account. (click on your avatar to view the information > Settings > Launch Profile Wizard,put your phone number in box, then scroll to the bottom of page and click save)

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Highlighted
Royf1
Wizz Kid
I have tried all of those things as I did on my first machine but to no avail. The fist box though failed completely and would not record anything eventually. The failed recordings are totally illogical It can happen on any program or series. As I said this only happens on the talk box so I don't think it could be anything to do with Freeview signals. The manhatton recorder never fails so I cant see it being anything to do with the Aerial as I have swapped them over. I use both boxes because very often all the good programs that interest me all show at the same time and both boxes are limited to 2 recordings at the same time. if I only want 2 recording to be safe I have to record them on both boxes ( they are in Different rooms) That way I dont lose the recording but I should not have to do that.
Highlighted
Royf1
Wizz Kid

yes it is a menace as it does take up an enormous amount of time especially as you have to reset the whole setup again.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Royf1

would you like to try a replacement box to see if it is hardware related ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
Royf1
Wizz Kid

Hi Karl,

I am sure that it is the box as I cant really see anything else. I was a TV engineer so I know most of the odd things that can cause  these strange behaviors but I have tried everything that I can think of except the box , The boxes are a little old fashioned now and very slow in comparison with the new ranges but yes please that would be the next logical step .Thank you.

I know once things get to you things can happen fast but If it cannot be here by the 30th can you delay it until after the 10th Feb if possible.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Roy,

TV box should be with you tomorrow.

Thanks

Karl.