Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

What affects your broadband speed

7 REPLIES 7
TonyC4
Chatterbox

I have had faster fibre broadband for some time now. I have had nothing but issues on the (lack of) speed. Recently it just got worse again but I have had the TalkTalk engineers here around 5 times in the last 2 years, who to be honest are nice people but achieve nothing except to say OpenReach is needed. They investigate but normally end up with just resetting the speed at the central location. I might then get a period of decent speed which for us in a rural setting is around 15-16 mbps but every night for the last 3 days it has dropped back to between 3-5 mbps. I have to reset the router which takes ages to come back. I have been doing this for so many months that I have lost faith in Talk Talk finding the underlying issue and have resigned my self to resetting the router. As we are copper wire from the 'green box' this shouldn't really be happening. Has anyone else face a similar issue with ongoing line speeds that cannot be rectified?

OCE_Karl
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

The current speeds at this moment look correct and the tests are clear.

Has another router ever been tested to rule out a hardware fault ?

When the line is slow, are you using wifi or a wired connection ?

When the line runs slow have you checked the home phone to hear if there are any sudden bursts of noise or crackles on the line ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

TonyC4
Chatterbox

Hi Karl

The speed is good at the moment but at 8.30 this morning it was 2.45 and so I had to power down the router and switch on again, where I achieved 15.75

I always test the speed using an ethernet cable. The router was checked by your engineer on the last call out maybe 2-3 months ago. Can't say I have noticed any issues on the phone but when the broadband goes down, which it does sometimes, I make sure I have a good reception on the landline.

Thanks

OCE_Karl

Hi

When you say the router was checked, was it actually swapped out for another ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

TonyC4
Chatterbox

Yes Karl, he had one with him and tried that. As nothing appeared different he swapped mine back again.

OCE_Karl

Hi

As it's an intermittent issue and not happening all the time, there is no way to tell if the router could be causing this, so to be safe it's best to leave a different router connected and that way we are sure this is not contributing to the issue.

It may not be the router, but lets fully cross that off and leave nothing to chance.

Another is on the way to you now.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

TonyC4
Chatterbox

Thanks Karl

I'll let you know how I get on once it has been in place for a few weeks.

Tony

OCE_Karl

Hi

I would say a few weeks, depending on how regular you see the issue occur, hopefully a few days might be all thats needed, but check anyway and see what happens.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips