Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wireless Powerline adapters for multi room with different circuits

8 REPLIES 8
Appiesurf
First Timer

We have 3 different electrical circuits in our apt. 

So how do the power line  adapers work with 2 different electrical circuits in 2 rooms.

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

The specifications say they only work on the same ring main circuit. If they do work across several ring mains, then I can only assume this is at a reduced speed between the units.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @Appiesurf 

Can you clarify what you mean about the circuits. I have several circuits in my house all connected to the same Consumer Unit (fuse box) and Power Line Adaptors work fine between them.

I have apart from the usual Lighting Circuits Upstairs and Downstairs etc. Wall Plug circuit for Upstairs Left, Wall Plug circuit for Upstairs Right and the same for the downstairs i.e. Wall circuits Left and Right, Then the Kitchen circuit which is on a separate higher Amperage. circuit.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Appiesurf
First Timer
Thank you for you reply.
 What I meant is:

The first power line adapter will be on the lounge electric socket circuit/loop.
 The second power line adapter will be on the bedroom electric socket circuit/loop.

Each electric circuit = electric ring/loop goes to each own fuse /breaker in the main fuse box
of my apartment.

Some technicians say the transmission signal can NOT transfer from one circuit/loop to
another as each is served by an dedicated fuse/ breaker.

Some technicians say it will work as the signal (in this case the talk/talk signal) will
jump over from one circuit/loop to the other in the main fuse box.

On the Talk Talk website it says "the engineer can help to make it work", but I am not going to
pay for an engineer to come out and then to find out he/she cannot make it work.

So, as I cannot find a definitive answer anywhere I have reached out to Talk Talk community
to see if there is somebody who has experience with electric circuit cabling in this way.
Our apartment built in 1990 has a main wiring/fuse box is a Memaro 2000 box compliant with BS 5486
Best regards
 Lesley
fre55die
Community Star

Hi @Appiesurf 

That is a standard setup as the rings use different ratings.

They cannot physically safely all be on the same power breaker. You would NOT want all circuits on the 45amp Kitchen circuit as there would be a fire before they tripped but, an oven etc. need the lot higher ampage.Yours are all effectively interconnected by the CONSUMER UNIT.

I should buy a set from AMAZON and see as their returns policy is brilliant if they don't work.

In my experience they should work perfectly. I should get a pair with a passthrogh so that you do not lose the use of the socket. Having said that DEVOLO are brilliant in my experience and these jump out as a bargain https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerline-Homeplug-Internet-Ethernet-Technology/dp/B00C5IA4XI/ref=sr_1_25?i...

Please confirm the outcome on this post.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
KeithFrench
Community Star

The best I can say is that it MiIGHT work, but at reduced speed between the units. Not being a qualified electrician, or having a property with more that one ring main I can't be certain. I know that they are not supposed to work across more than one consume unit.

However, from what @fre55die  has said you should be OK.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @Appiesurf 

Just for clarity is this what your Consumer Unit looks like with the various circuit breakers as shown and all where shown as (5), (6) and (7) !!

Screenshot_2019-01-27 Memera 2000 AD Consumer Units - 0900766b802b7858 pdf.png

Appiesurf
First Timer

Thank you for the reply and taking the time to respond.

The picture you posted is indeed the master fuse box we have although we have a slightly older model.

We have a Devolo router extender in use and indeed it work brilliantly in the whole apartment. Even while having steel construction beams in the building (cage of Faraday effect which can give problems)

So that is all not a problem.

The challenge is that Talk Talk wants to provide these power line adapters with the box so the Talk talk signal can travel to multi room locations. It does not say anywhere in their paper work that these talk-talk extenders work without using the home electrical circuits.  If that would be the case then we could just plug them in a wall socket for their own power and they would pick up the wifi router signal or the devolo extender/signal and we would be in business.

So we are trying to find a person on the community site here who has them installed over longer distances in an house/apartment with separate electrical circuit loops and that it works.

Best  regards

Lesley

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @Appiesurf 

If you are talking about setting up "MULTIROOM" where you can watch boosts on more than one box, it can only be installed by an engineer which is ridiculous in my opinion but this has been confirmed as a "MANDATORY installation only" by all including the chairman.

I had to do it via engineer install, even though I have 4 fully internet enabled YouView boxes with the speed to the slowest being 38 Mbps.