cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wireless network connection

1 REPLY 1
First Timer

I am informed it is possible to connect my TT TV box to my network wirelessly, no homeplugs thank you. I have a Linksis mesh system installed giving excellent coverage throughout my house. My Humax box is connected via Edimax wifi dongle, is this possible with the TT TV box?

Pandaray

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Ray

The YouView specification originally set out by the BBC specified only an Ethernet cable connection for reliability.  

Basic multicast transmission requires a very reliable connection.  Unlike TCP transmission of normal Internet packets where a retransmission can be requested in the event of an error a multicast transmission of a live IPTV stream does not have the opportunity to request retransmission. Any errors have to be correctable within the wi-fi link's own error correction system.

OK so that got a bit technical. But in essence a wi-fi connection wasn't considered reliable enough for the original YouView specification.

However, people do use wi-fi adaptors and the most popular of these are nano routers that are suitable for IPTV services (important).

Nano Routers - Where Powerlines aren't suitable

Try a TP-Link TL-WR702 150Mbps or TL-WR802 300Mbps nano router.  Power can be provided by the USB socket and you just connect the Ethernet cable from the TV Box to the Nano Router.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer