Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

You view box

10 REPLIES 10
Scoz34
Team Player

My daughter has moved home and after reinstalling her youview box in her new home there are a few channels she cannot get now that she used to. I have tried my youview box and it’s the self and same. If she just has her tv on she gets the channels but does not get them when using the youview box, retuning changes nothing. She has only move 3/4 mile away from her previous address. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Scoz
Divsec
Community Star
Hi Scoz, welcome to the community. Could you put a name to a couple of the missing channels?
Also I have to ask is the disconnected to the internet?
I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
VicF47
Team Player

Hi Guys, I have the a similar problem, but have not moved house. (postcode NN2 8LX for ref).  When TalkTalk is not switched on I can get "Dave" on channel number 12 via Freeview.  With TalkTalk switched on I can see channel number 12 in the Guide, but when I select it I get a "Weak signal message" and no picture.

Even worse, although I think this a perhaps normal behaviour, I can get PBS America on channel number 94 via Freeview with TalkTalk OFF, but this channel does not even appear in the Guide with TalkTalk  ON.  The tech guys were unable to help me, just kept wanting to test the line and reset to box, etc.  Now I have looked further on the TalkTalk website I think that the number of Freeview channels is restricted - this is perhaps a different problem from paragraph above and original post

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @VicF47

Could you please start your own thread for support as each problem is individual and needs investigating separately.

Neither YouView or TT limit channels and I get all of the channels that you mention.

Have you tried a new Aerial lead as these can degrade. I use a splitter so that both the box and TV receive separate signals (initially try an unpowered simple one which are about £2) and it saves money by turning the Antenna Out off on the box as this uses :

Eco Mode High:
Power consumption in standby: Less than 1 Watt

With RF Loop thru enabled:
Eco Mode High
Power consumption in standby: 4 Watts
Boot up time: 1 min 57 secs
Eco Mode Low:
Power consumption in standby: 16.2 W
Boot up time: 26 secs

(Figures from HUMAX which are built to the same basic specification.)

Initially for your problem if the aerial lead and splitter don't work, try a retune with the aerial UNPLUGGED, this will clear the memory, then plug aerial back in and retune again. If this doesn't work try a maintenance reset as follows :

Turn the box off, then unplug power lead for a couple of minutes.

Re plug in power .

1. Ensure the YouView Box is switched off and is currently connected to the router (the YouView Box will require an internet connection).
  2. Power on YouView using button at the back of the YouView Box.
  3. Start YouView using the power button on the YouView Box front panel and then quickly press and hold both the + and – buttons on the front panel. If you haven’t pressed the buttons together by the time 'YouView Waking Up' is displayed, or you see the 'YouView please wait...' message then try again.
  4. Let go of the + and – buttons once the 'Huawei – Maintenance Mode menu' is displayed.
  5. The + and – buttons on the front panel will navigate the menu. Keep pressing the – button until 2 “factory reset keep recordings” option is highlighted. If you go past the option, simply press the + button to navigate back to the option.
  6. Press the power button on the YouView Box front panel to select the option. This will bring up some information and ask 'Do you want to proceed?'. Press the power button again to confirm.
  7. The YouView Box will now show a progress bar as it downloads software from the internet and installs on the YouView Box. This may take several minutes. Once complete, the YouView Box will restart.
  8. Once the YouView Box restarts, the YouView Box will show the initial setup wizard. You will need to run through the setup wizard including tuning the channels.

You will then need to reset your personal settings (such as parental controls / RF loop through / Surround Sound etc.) and also reset your scheduled recordings (might be worth taking a note of future recordings before doing this so you don’t miss any).

It is also a good idea to restart your router once you have done this.

If neither this nor a new lead work then I would try a powered splitter amplifier from somewhere that you can return it if it doesn't work. A certain online retailer beginning with A do a number of them and if it doesn't work then returns are easy PROVIDING THAT YOU HAVE BOUGHT IT FROM THEM NOT A MARKETPLACE SELLER !!

Could you please also ensure that your community profile includes your PHONE NUMBER as OCE's will need this to tie up your screen name to your account. (click on your avatar to view the information > Settings > Launch Profile Wizard,put your phone number in box, then scroll to the bottom of page and click save)

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
fre55die
Community Star

Hi @Scoz34

With TV/RADIO waves 20 yards can make a difference, it just needs one large tree or building between the transmitter and the aerial.

What signal strength and quality is she getting on the TV for a few receivable channels? Also on the TT box?

See my comments to @VicF47 above for my initial suggestions. The perfectionists would say get an aerial installer in which you may need to do if my options don't work. Also unplug the aerial from the TT box and do a retune, this will clear the memory. Then retune with the aerial connected.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Scoz34
Team Player

49% is an average, the aerial is in the attic so I am now thinking she is going to need an external one to increas the signal.

Scoz
fre55die
Community Star

Hi @Scoz34

Not necessarily, I recently had a new installation courtesy of Freeview due to the retune and they installed a loft aerial rather than an external aerial (my old one is still attached to my roof) which seems to be working fine. Bear in mind that usually a competent, reliable installer will charge well over £100, probably nearer £250-300 if the wiring needs replacing. What is the 49%? is this on TV or TT box? What is the QUALITY like? Try this on BBC1 to start with then something like channel 81 (Talking Pictures).

She is receiving the channels on her TV, so it is probably just a slightly weak signal. So firstly try a retune with the aerial unplugged, then do it again with aerial plugged in. As I said I should then try a new aerial lead with a powered booster/splitter to the TV and BOX separately. I got a simple plugin one from Wilkinsons a long time ago which is still going strong but only had 3 outputs, I believe that they still do them. Currys PCWORLD is another place to try. I have 3 powered splitters installed from the individual aerial sockets as I use quite a few screens, (Computer, TV, PVR and YV box) in one room and a similar setup in 2 other rooms. I got them from that well known site and the last one cost £15  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DCVX2E0/ref=pe_1909131_77697001_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_i2

There are others with less outputs on there,I hate recommending either retailers or products but if you buy DIRECTLY from them then, in my experience, if you just say that it didn't work, their return and warranty policies are brilliant.

If this doesn't work then you can return it and go to your other plan. The separate leads to the TT box and TV is always a good idea and a simple unpowered splitter is around £2-3.

Scoz34
Team Player

The 49% was on the Talktalk box, she has an amplifier / splitter plugged in also. Will try a retune without aerial the another retune with aerial.

Scoz
Scoz34
Team Player

Hi, there were quite a few and in the end bit the bullet and installed an outside aerial and disconnected the attic aerial. Can now get all stations, thanks for acknowledgments.

Scoz
VicF47
Team Player

Thanks Fre55die,

I have started new thread re "Additional Device Set-up" and received some advice from Community Star KeithFrench. 

Unfortunately my wife was taken into hospital on Sat. morning and I have not had a chance to complete my set up.

I will read your detailed comments later and post in that thread

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @VicF47

I do hope that she gets better soon.

Re the booster/splitter you can also get them from Wilkinsons or Currys or most shops.