Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

YouView App being discontinued

71 REPLIES 71
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

With the YouView app being discontinued are talk talk going to offer an alternative as it’s so handy being able to set recordings from my phone when I’m away from the house ?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Bobster 

There's no suggestion that the TalkTalk TV Planner App is disappearing. TalkTalk TV Planner App 

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Community Star

Given that the planner is just the Youview app with a Talktalk skin, and that YouView have not mentioned this, just that the BT app will continue for their customers, I suspect it will go.

There is probably some conflict in the software that means BT app will work, when the others won't going forward.

With BT customers being the lions share of YouView users, I guess they have more say on development.

I'm gutted with this decision as I use it regularly, especially when away from home.

Please note that in the current situation there will inevitably be delays in responding to you, due to the closure of customers service centres. To save everyone's time ONLY POST BACK ON YOUR ORIGINAL THREAD.
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Awesome, many thanks @Gondola. I wasn’t even aware that this existed having used the YouView app for the past few years .... panic over 

Highlighted
Wizz Kid
Mmm, looks like your right actually. Looking at the info within the talktalk app it even states that it’s built on YouView services ..... gutted
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Bobster and @fr8ys 

I disagree with the conclusion you've come to.

The app is built on a basic YouView core but in the same way that BT box software is being developed entirely differently to TalkTalk box software I believe the TalkTalk TV Planner app will remain and developed by TalkTalk as required.

I'll ask for confirmation from the TV Product Manager so we all know for sure.

The YouView support site says:

https://support.youview.com/mobile-app/

In order to deliver the most innovative TV experience, we are refocusing development away from ‘direct to consumer’ products and toward delivering best in class TV technology services direct to our customers BT, TalkTalk, Humax and Sony.

As such we will no longer be continuing a YouView stand-alone mobile app and instead will support our customers by providing functionality in their own branded TV apps.

Highlighted
Community Star

Things are murky indeed, but on of YouViews equivalent of our OCE posted this on the YouView forum earlier.

We would recommend using the BT TV app to set recordings from now on if you have a BT TV subscription. 

As staff on both forums are now effectively offline we will no doubt hear more tomorrow.

Questions have also be raised via the YouView Facebook group.

I have multiple boxes and link both apps to the boxes so can send 4 recordings over. 

The BT app required sign in last time I tried it.

Retail users of YouView, could be left high and dry by this decision if they don't use one of the partner ISPs if @Gondola s thoughts prove right.

Please note that in the current situation there will inevitably be delays in responding to you, due to the closure of customers service centres. To save everyone's time ONLY POST BACK ON YOUR ORIGINAL THREAD.
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Steve

Yes the BT branded app does require a BT ID to use it.

YouView have released a very BT-centric press release that has clearly caused concern. I'm fully convinced that YouView will do as they say and support partners and YouView retail suppliers with support for the development of their own branded TV Planner apps.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Just tried the TalkTalk app and getting the same “Being discontinued “ message as the YouView app. That’s on Android.

Highlighted
Community Star

Screen shot on opening Planner

Screenshot_20200204-210031.png

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi all

I think YouView are confusing us. That message applies to the YouView standalone version but should not apply to the TalkTalk TV Planner.

If the TalkTalk TV Planner app is updated already then just select Skip to ignore the YouView message.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

Tha App being withdrawn is a YouView decision, so is beyond our control.

I'm unsure how this will affect our customers directly so will contact our TV Product manager and as soon as I have more information I will share this with you all.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi All,

Offical statement from our TV product manager below :

TalkTalk TV is an award-winning marketplace for great TV, combining over 80 top channels with all the best On Demand players and streaming services including Netflix and Prime Video. As part of our commitment to meet the evolving needs of our customers, the TalkTalk TV Planner App will be phased out by 31st March 2020.

After this change takes place customers can continue to enjoy flexible access to the very best entertainment, record TV shows and films, as well as watch BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub and ALL 4 directly from their Set Top Box.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Community Star

Thanks @OCE_Karl. It's as I suspected.

How though removing this functionality can be said to meet customer's needs I really do not know!!!

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Yep, evolving needs of customers = moving away from mobile support 🤷‍♂️ 

Highlighted
Community Star

Wow. We have evolved not to want remote recording? Or easy access to catch up content on mobile devices? OK ....

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Karl

Thanks for the feedback from the TV Product Manager.  I guess there's no TV budget right now to handle this change of support policy by YouView? 

YouView say "...we will...support our customers (including TalkTalk) by providing functionality in their own branded TV apps."

Is there going to be no move in the next financial year to restore a TalkTalk branded and supported TV Planner app to schedule recordings? 

Highlighted
Community Star

As I mentioned previously I do wonder if there is a conflict in the box software somewhere that can't be resolved, in running the BT app Vs the YouView/TalkTalk app. 

Having managed a system where differing customers wanted variants of a process, it can be a real headache to get working, and if it can't be resolved, a pragmatic decision has to be taken on one customer over another. I don't agree with the decision if that is the case given YouView sell to the retail market and this was a selling point, and TalkTalk customers too, but I guess BT must have more sway than others especially as their recording app BN is staying.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

So basically if you have a TalkTalk tv box but do not still have a TalkTalk tv account  you are stuffed 

next you will be remotely disabling the tv box ?

Highlighted
Community Star

@Anthp this needs to be taken in context.

It's not TalkTalk withdrawing this App, it's YouView from whom TT pick up the application and apply their own skin to it. It's being withdrawn whether you have or do not have a TalkTalk account.

There is no suggestion that any restrictions will be applied to the box functionalities.