Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

YouView box fails to respond to remote and locks up

17 REPLIES
David324
Chatterbox

The performance of my YouView box has been deteriorating over the past few weeks - slow to respond, failed recordings. Re-boot of everything seems to have got it going again for a while but now it has completely failed.  After a restart all seems OK but when I try to switch channels or navigate YouView options it will either freeze on one channel or just get black screen. The box is unresponsive to any attempt to select any channel or saved recording.

I have followed all the troubleshooting help I can find including a maintenance mode reset. I have been in contact with TalkTalk live chat help but this has been inconclusive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

David

duigians
First Timer

I am also having the same issue, it can take over 10 seconds to open the guide or pause TV. It has locked up a few times too, usually after watching back a recording but not always. The only way to get it back is switch the box off at the back.

I have tried the resets several times where it keeps the saved content, but this has had no effect on the delay.

I suppose the last resort will be full reset and delete all my saved programs. (Still have a couple of things I want to watch before I attempt that).

My box must be at least 5 years old.

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @duigians

Could you please start your own thread for support as each problem is individual and needs investigating separately.

This will also mean that YOUR problem will be escalated to support to receive a full service.

Could you please also ensure that your community profile includes your PHONE NUMBER as OCE's will need this to tie up your screen name to your account. (click on your avatar to view the information, Settings, Personal information, then scroll to the bottom of page and click save). Only you and the OCE can see this information !!

Before you try a FULL factory reset try this :

Turn the box off, then unplug power lead for a couple of minutes.

Re plug in power .

1. Ensure the YouView Box is switched off and is currently connected to the router (the YouView Box will require an internet connection).
  2. Power on YouView using button at the back of the YouView Box.
  3. Start YouView using the power button on the YouView Box front panel and then quickly press and hold both the + and – buttons on the front panel. If you haven’t pressed the buttons together by the time 'YouView Waking Up' is displayed, or you see the 'YouView please wait...' message then try again.
  4. Let go of the + and – buttons once the 'Huawei – Maintenance Mode menu' is displayed.
  5. The + and – buttons on the front panel will navigate the menu. Keep pressing the – button until 2 “factory reset keep recordings” option is highlighted. If you go past the option, simply press the + button to navigate back to the option.
  6. Press the power button on the YouView Box front panel to select the option. This will bring up some information and ask 'Do you want to proceed?'. Press the power button again to confirm.
  7. The YouView Box will now show a progress bar as it downloads software from the internet and installs on the YouView Box. This may take several minutes. Once complete, the YouView Box will restart.
  8. Once the YouView Box restarts, the YouView Box will show the initial setup wizard. You will need to run through the setup wizard including tuning the channels.

You will then need to reset your personal settings (such as parental controls / RF loop through / Surround Sound etc.) and also reset your scheduled recordings (might be worth taking a note of future recordings before doing this so you don’t miss any).

It is also a good idea to restart your router once you have done this.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Community Team

Hi David234, please let us know if Fre55die has got this sorted for you. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

duigians
First Timer

Hi Fre55die,

I will start a new thread for my problem and update my profile.

I have tried the reset and keep recordings on at least 2 occasions and it has had little to no difference to the response times from the remote.

Ian.

David324
Chatterbox

Ok, thanks for getting back to me. I'll follow up Fre55die's suggestions later and let you know how I get on.

Community Team

I'm here to help if you still need it. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

David324
Chatterbox

Still needing help unfortunately!

I've tried everything now, including full factory reset with delete recordings with no success. Need to re-boot the box every time I switch on and can then get channels using remote keypad but if I try to access Guide or any YouView function everything crashes and at best I'm stuck on the channel I was watching, but now with no response from the remote, or at worst just a black screen.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Community Team

I've ordered a new box for you. Please remember to return the exisiting box and post back to let us know how you get on. 

David324
Chatterbox

Thanks very much! Looking forward to receiving the replacement and will let you know how things work out.

Again, many thanks for your help.

David

David324
Chatterbox

I was just looking at some recent posts in this section and saw a message from kjmc63 yesterday to say that after you ordered him a new box he got an e-mail from TalkTalk to say his order had been cancelled. You confirmed that this was the case and that you would try to sort things out for him.

I got your message to say that you had ordered me a new box on Monday at 13:50 and at 14:41 I got an e-mail from TT Customer Services to say that they were cancelling the order. As they said they would be sending me a reply-paid bag to return the equipment I thought that this was to do with returning the old box and the new one would be on the way, but having seen your reply to kjmc63 it looks as though my new box may actually have been cancelled. Could you please check this out for me? Thanks.

Community Team

I'm still waiting for find out why they've been cancelled I'll post back as soon as I get a reply. 

David324
Chatterbox

Hi. Any update on my YouView box replacement yet? It's now been over 2 weeks since I had a properly working TV service and I'm not at all happy with TalkTalk! Is there some other way I should be trying to resolve this issue? Tried Live Chat twice and got nowhere with that before contacting the Community. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Community Team

Hi David324

I've re-ordered this for you and this should be dispatched soon. 

Thanks

Karl. 

Make Broadband Better - Join The Sam Knows Trial

Community Team

Hi

I'm showing the TV box has now been dispatched and been assigned a tracking number.

Thanks

Karl. 

David324
Chatterbox

Hi Karl

New box has been delivered and is now set up and all working well. Delivery was less than 18 hours from you first picking up my query, which I think is pretty good going!

Many thanks to both you and Ady for your help with this.

Regards

David

Community Team

Hi

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

NorfolkandTV
Sightseer

I have this exact same problem. I range the phone helpline and wnet through 45 minutes of diagnostics. I was told a new box would be sent out, the one I have being over 5 years old. Nothing happened, no delivery within 3 days as stated. Another phone call and I was told the order had been cancelled forno good reason. I have just tried a factory reset with recordings saved and while the navigation is quicker the normal TV guide has frozen and none of the apps or players work. Tell m Talk Talk what have I got to do to get you to actually provide me with the servcie I am paying for? Should I go with an alternative provider who is willing to pay out my contract with you. Answer me why you have cancelled my replacement Youview box when that wold appear to be what I need? I would be happy if the existing worked but it doesnt. I have upgraded my router with you and renewed my contract after your promise of a new box. But still I have no TV - what is going on?

Give me what I am paying for